News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 switch to 1969 Charger

Started by Bowers, May 27, 2014, 01:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Cooter on May 31, 2014, 08:20:06 AM
see homer? Just had to take up for all those that spouted the purist crap about "leave the 70 alone"...."too nice a car to hack up into a GL"....haters...only a purist would say that instead of encouraging OP to follow his dream. Don't even get me started on the tarded comment about how many Chargers the DOH "destroyed" above. Only ONE REASON to make a comment like that....

Don't get me wrong Homer, haters are a necessity. Without them, we wouldn't have fifty-bazillion hemi tributes out there being sold for huge money, which in turn draws attention to these cars.
I am a hater of rich (inherited) douches, I'm a hater of hemi stuff. Like the hemi bandwagon is the only one for miles around. I'm a hater of wing cars/tributes. Why would someone wanna ruin a perfectly good R/T (afterall, true tributes are done like factory fid. With R/T) by sticking an F-40 wing on the back and Corvette nose on it? And painting one orange with some decals is so horrible??? WTF?
again, haters are needed. Therefore, they will do nothing to actually hurt the General Lee's popularity, so it's not a bad thing.

Sorry cooter, it's not hate it's just an opinion. And like a$$holes, everyone has one. Just because it's not your opinion doesn't make them a hater, right/wrong, or better/worse. Singling out 1-2 posters and writing about them in the 3rd person simply creates an abrasive and unfriendly situation and is beneath you. You're a helpful contributing member of this site the majority of the time, you take pride in your work and are very resourceful but this constant whining about haters is your downfall. Express your opinion, please, but lets move on from the name calling and with us or with out us rhetoric. Embrace the fact that someone has a different opinion, otherwise we might all be driving a Prius.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on May 27, 2014, 09:16:38 PM
You need to expand the search my friend.

Bowers,

In light of everything that has been posted I think it's clear that you can do what you are asking. If it's your thing then go for it. Personally, I think you are taking the more difficult road and should consider selling the 70 and taking Ghoste's advice. I am sure he would be willing to help you as he recently bought a 69 in Georgia I believe and moved it up to Canada so he should know what is involved. I would bet all you would have to do is ask.

You have a beautiful and not so common 70 on your hands. Good luck.  :yesnod:  :2thumbs:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Cooter

Ain't you learned yet?? Ain't nothing beneath Cooter when he's always on the bottom. :lol:
I prefer not to address certain people here for certain things they've done/said here on the board.
if that's not ok with them, then they can go to hell. I am a not bullshi*t type person. The ONLY reason many of you don't see me at the 'camp' at Carlisle, is I've been going for almost 20 years and refuse to get kicked out for slugging some bastid for running his mouth. It ain't worth the assault charge to me and my boys. We came within inches of being banned about three years ago when John S. Was there.

So, don't want the 'haters' comments? It's so simple.....quit hatin. That thread woulda j ever had any 'opinions' if he were doing a Daytona. Swapping a hemi. Painting original color, even if it was sh*t turd brown. I expect them when I post about the wing cars and hemis. You put it out there, expect backlash. just because theres fifty people that think its not hatin, only serves to show theres fifty people in denial. Call it an opinion whatever, its still negative comments about turning his 70 into a 69 GL. Besides, I never said ALL the comments were hater type. Only the ones that are trying to tell this person how and what to do with his own car.

I wonder if the 'opinions' would be to "sell the 70" if he were deciding to put a hemi in it?  Or put a wing on it, a Vega hatch and Corvette nose cone made outta fiberglass? Wonder if the opinions would be to just "expand the search and buy a Daytona"?

I hacked up am perfectly good 72 Ebody to turn it back into a 70. Wanna guess how many haters came out the woodwork?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TUFCAT

I've never known Bill to be a hater :icon_smile_cool: .  On the other hand, I've had my moments...maybe that's why I wasn't participating on this thread. :nana:  Now, if anyone wants my opinion I'll throw it out there - the 1970 Charger was the best of all 3rd generations...IM MY HUMBLE OPINION, which nobody asked for, so its already purrfect! :icon_smile_wink:

Cooter

Huge difference there Tuffy. You made no reference to GL. You made  no reference to originality.
AND, most importantly, you made no negative references telling someone what to do with their own car.
btw: I never said 'Bill' was a hater, I just refuse to acknowledge him for past condescending comments. There are a bunch I refuse to acknowledge here. Hater? Maybe.

There's only a handful I'd shake hands with at Carlisle. ONE of which I made it a point to because while he may not agree, or even like me, he still addresses me with the utmost respect. Thank You Ron.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

fizz

In 1978 we put a 69 clip on a 70 because it got hit. Both were 318 cars so nobody cared. A non r/t car was a driver. As I recall, no big deal except headlight door operation.

nvrbdn

ok, now lets address another issue. i guess im not up on this due to the fact that i dont have a 68 or 69 setting in my garage, but it was stated that an advisor said it wouldnt be hard to change the headlight doors over to electric.

would it be easier to put in the vacuum system, or change to electric doors? would the bracket from the 70 electric doors be able to be mounted to the 69 grill doors? just wondering here since its raining outside and im bored. :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Mike DC

:Twocents:

1.  Convert over to a 68/69 vacuum setup. 

2.  Then get an aftermarket electric setup to replace that.

3.  Sell the whole 1970 setup intact to someone who needs it. 

or:

1.  Sell the 1970 car.

2.  take the money and buy a 68/69/GL.

jaak

Man, I knew this thread would turn out like this when I first saw the title the day it was posted, lol.

I guess I will add my opinion to the thread. Like I have said before, and will say again I love ALL Chargers. Whether it be a one of a kind all original Hemi car, Daily Driver, Rust Bucket, Movie Prop (GL included), or one that is too far gone to restore, they all catch my interest. I also think that a man (or woman) has a freedom to do anything they want with their car. I don't loose sleep if someone modifies a car, cuts it up, makes a clone, or whatever they wish to do.I also believe a person has a right to hate Charger, GLs, etc.

I'm not gonna call folks 'haters' here, but there is a double standard. Why is it a sin to make a GL clone, but not an R/T clone? They are both clones. To me one is no different than the other. Right? One comment that always gets me was stated in this thread (and on several others like this), is converting this car will DECREASE its value. So changing one part from one Charger, and placing on another, it will,in theory make the car lesser in value? Correct? So I can buy a 318 Charger for say 8k. I install a 440 and all related parts from another Charger (or Mopar). So how much did it decrease in value? 10%? 25%? I have also read comments like, "why build a General Lee, you need to be original, its overplayed". Then you read a thread with the 5 billionth red or black Charger (nothing against red or black chargers, in fact I think a nice black Charger is the best looking car of all time!), it gets praises. Whats the difference? Both are done because a guy saw a Charger he liked and copied it. I painted my R/T 'Go Green' because I was at the body shop when they pulled my friend's freshly painted 70 Duster out in the sunlight for the first time, and I fell in love with that color.

At the end of the day, Bowers has made up his mind, he has a plan of action, and I encourage it. I, for one, look forward to seeing work begin. Whether he's painting Black, Blue, Green, Pink, or Orange. I LOVE threads showing work progress with pics! He shouldn't have to sell his car, he bought it, its his. He has a Charger, why should he sell it, just to start his search/wait again? To me that's more puzzling to me than building a GL clone. Its not that big of a deal, guys. Its just paint/stickers (well in Bowers case, a front cap, paint and stickers), nothing that can't be reversed.

Jason

TUFCAT

Quote from: Cooter on May 31, 2014, 01:49:18 PM

There's only a handful I'd shake hands with at Carlisle. ONE of which I made it a point to because while he may not agree, or even like me, he still addresses me with the utmost respect. Thank You Ron.

Okay Cooter its on! I'm going to find you at Carlisle and shake your damn hand. Your a member and membership has its advantages...like having your hand shaken by a 5"9" pussycat. :D So get ready....like it or not,  I'm going to find you with my paw extended.  Oh yeah, you may want to wash up first!! LOL. :2thumbs:  Tuffy  

A383Wing

careful Cooter, you don't know where that "paw" has been

bill440rt

Quote from: jaak on May 31, 2014, 06:21:54 PM
... Like I have said before, and will say again I love ALL Chargers. Whether it be a one of a kind all original Hemi car, Daily Driver, Rust Bucket, Movie Prop (GL included), or one that is too far gone to restore, they all catch my interest. I also think that a man (or woman) has a freedom to do anything they want with their car. I don't loose sleep if someone modifies a car, cuts it up, makes a clone, or whatever they wish to do.I also believe a person has a right to hate Charger, GLs, etc.

Jason

Great quote, Jason.  :cheers:

The OP in his first post was looking for advice for swapping out the nose to create a '69, & make a GL. Obviously when working with a '70, there are additional obstacles.
People here are simply either giving him advice, or offering less expensive, easier routes. Not to mention starting with a nice specimen such as that has fueled the discussion. (Yes, even if he wanted to turn in into a Daytona OR a GL.)
Whatever he does, it's ENTIRELY up to him.
And, whichever route he chooses, I do hope he ultimately gets the car of his dreams.  :cheers:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

DTB

I don't even own a Charger so I don't have much say but I say go for it... 45 years later these cars are few and far between. You've got a good foundation to work with now so why hassle with tracking down another and starting over and maybe having to do more work yet in the long run with a different car. I'd rather have a 69 car myself but if I found a 70 I might put a 69 front end on it General Lee clone or not, just because I like the look. You have to work with what you can find. I don't believe every car has to stay how it was when it was shipped out of the plant. If you want the GL look, go for it. It only matters what you think. I don't think it would really be any more difficult than a 68 to 69 swap. Fill in the side markers on the quarters and fenders, remove the 70 tail light trim and start on your front end part search. The interior color would not be that important to me, atleast from the start. I'd worry more about finding vector rims and a nice 69 grille first.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

TUFCAT

I think the basic problem is about ruining something that's already good.  Anybody on a enthusiast site like ours will likely have a problem with this concept.  Most people should agree that bastardizing a valuable collectors car for the sake of changing into a different model year is nonsense.  

Think about it this way. Let's say the OP started a thread discussion on his favorite Firebird Trans Am website about converting his Trans-Am into a Camaro Z28 - because that's what he's always wanted, and he basically lost interest in the Trans Am....

Sure it could be done, but most people would probably have serious issues with that!   The thought of a perfectly good bodied car used for a Frankenstein donor just doesn't fly with most collectors or enthusiasts.  A person with these thoughts should sell the car targeted for modification and use the proceeds to buy another car.  It also makes better financial sense considering the very expensive body modifications and cost to acquire parts for the "model year changeover"...not to mention the lost market value!  :Twocents: :Twocents:

Cooter

Quote from: jaak on May 31, 2014, 06:21:54 PM
Man, I knew this thread would turn out like this when I first saw the title the day it was posted, lol.

I'm not gonna call folks 'haters' here, but there is a double standard. Why is it a sin to make a GL clone, but not an R/T clone? They are both clones. To me one is no different than the other. Right? One comment that always gets me was stated in this thread (and on several others like this), is converting this car will DECREASE its value. So changing one part from one Charger, and placing on another, it will,in theory make the car lesser in value? Correct? So I can buy a 318 Charger for say 8k. I install a 440 and all related parts from another Charger (or Mopar). So how much did it decrease in value? 10%? 25%? I have also read comments like, "why build a General Lee, you need to be original, its overplayed". Then you read a thread with the 5 billionth red or black Charger (nothing against red or black chargers, in fact I think a nice black Charger is the best looking car of all time!), it gets praises. Whats the difference? Both are done because a guy saw a Charger he liked and copied it. I painted my R/T 'Go Green' because I was at the body shop when they pulled my friend's freshly painted 70 Duster out in the sunlight for the first time, and I fell in love with that color.

Jason

I noticed nobody wants to touch this aspect. I've stated t by e same thing over and over and over.
as long as it's a hemi/R/T/Daytona/Restored/canyon Carver, it's deemed ok, but the minute some paint and decals are applied, there's a bunch of negative comments. Bowers asked for advice on what was needed for a swap, yet, he gets advice on what to do with his own car. WTF?
The fact he's hacking up a nice 70 for a GL tribute is just icing on the cake.
The only thing that woulda made it AWESOME is if it were a real R/T hemi car. ROTFLMAO!!!

Why is it such a crime?
He paid the cost to be the boss, answer his question and move on right? Now you know where the term 'hater' comes from. It describes these types to a "T". You know the ones. That double standard that is loosely disguised behind "opinions". I have an opinion of Kanya and kym. I can tell you right now, the term 'hater' would be first on the comments button if expressed.

Cooter

Quote from: TUFCAT on May 31, 2014, 08:48:15 PM
Quote from: Cooter on May 31, 2014, 01:49:18 PM

Okay Cooter its on! I'm going to find you at Carlisle and shake your damn hand. Your a member and membership has its advantages...like having your hand shaken by a 5"9" pussycat. :D So get ready....like it or not,  I'm going to find you with my paw extended.  Oh yeah, you may want to wash up first!! LOL. :2thumbs:  Tuffy  

Thing is Tuffy, most in person could and do relate to what I'm about. They've even said to me "I was expecting some kind of biker, badass, overbearing, douchebag, but your just an opinionated teddy bear. You ain't so bad". I usually follow up with "no, your first impression was correct. You just ain't seen me on my soapbox yet". Ps: look for the 6.0 ft., 280 lb. Goat T and shaved head(ball cap), redneck, with the wifey in the red and white, H.As jacket...

Mike DC

QuoteI think the basic problem is about ruining something that's already good.  Anybody on a enthusiast site like ours will likely have a problem with this concept.  Most people should agree that bastardizing a valuable collectors car for the sake of changing into a different model year is nonsense.  

Think about it this way. Let's say the OP started a thread discussion on his favorite Firebird Trans Am website forum about converting his Trans-Am into a Camaro Z28 - because that's what he's always wanted, and he's basically lost interest in the Trans Am....

Sure it could be done, but most people would probably have serious issues with that!   The thought of a perfectly good bodied car used for a Frankenstein donor just doesn't fly with most collectors or enthusiasts.  A person with these thoughts should sell the car targeted for these modifications and use the proceeds to buy another car.  They would also be financially better off  considering the very expensive body modifications and cost to acquire the necessary parts for the "model year changeover"...not to mention the lost market value.  Twocents Twocents

IMO Tufcat hit the nail on the head here.  

I'm a notorious GL nerd myself but it's this particular '70 that sways me.  I would object to turning it into a '69 Daytona clone just as much as a GL.    

nvrbdn

i just hope we didnt run off the OP. i want to follow this thing out and also see who benifits from all the parts that he can deal off to help with the finances.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Bowers

Nope Haven't run off yet. lol. I appreciate all the comments and even started a search for a 69 GL but they were all $35k and up. If I could sell my car for $30 I would be all for it. However, I have found all the parts I need and the cost is $2100 including the grille. I would love a true 69 but money is an issue and believe me I have done thorough searches. I will certainly keep you all abreast of the work with pics and progress. In keeping with the original question, I didn't want to have to cut or alter the car and I fully plan on putting away all the pieces so that I do not reduce the value of the car should I choose to sell it.
Thanks Guys

JB400

Have you checked CGLFC.com yet?  There was a couple of cars listed there the other day for sale.

Bowers

JB400
I have been there. Can't register to email one of the sellers, but the other one is asking $35k and is sold pending.

70 sublime

Did you ever think of just painting the 70 up as the GL without all the other parts ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-500-Hardtop-2-Door-1970-Dodge-Charger-500-general-lee-440HP-big-block-signed-by-crew-/121354266518?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c41472796&item=121354266518&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Saw this one listed on ebay

Not sure how it would look if you put the push bar on it
Maybe it would look OK if you just painted the front bumper black ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Homerr

Wow Cooter, I reached out to you and I get dumped on with all that drivel.  From my perspective it seems like you let loose disproportionately all the pent up GL hater rage you have from many sources and assigned it to me (and bill440rt???).   

Usually I find your contributions fun, challenging, and sometimes even enlightening.  But here you're off in some other universe.

I'm tired of your attacks when you find any hint of anyone questioning the sacredness of all General Lees so I'll be skipping your posts, save the drivel on this one.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 01, 2014, 10:38:58 PM
Did you ever think of just painting the 70 up as the GL without all the other parts ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-500-Hardtop-2-Door-1970-Dodge-Charger-500-general-lee-440HP-big-block-signed-by-crew-/121354266518?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c41472796&item=121354266518&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Saw this one listed on ebay

Not sure how it would look if you put the push bar on it
Maybe it would look OK if you just painted the front bumper black ?

Or orange, like this one.

And someone should tell that guy on eBay selling the '70 General Lee that his standard clock isn't a "tick tock tach", nor is it a tach at all.