News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 track radio AM only?

Started by Dino, March 03, 2015, 10:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Did they ever make an FM with 8 track for 69's?  I don't think so but you guys know more than me.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Dino

Thanks for confirming that Ghoste.   :2thumbs:

I am going to use a hidden stereo system but I want to keep the AM radio hooked up to the stock dash speaker.  I was playing with it the other day and was surprised at how much sound comes out of that dash speaker considering its age and the whopping 2.5 watts that radio cranks out.   :icon_smile_big:

The problem is that the radio needs attention.  The preset buttons stopped working and the radio will cut out after a few minutes.  If you turn it off for a while it'll play again so something seems to be getting hot and cutting out, I dunno.  I figured a nice 8 track would look good in the dash, purely for the nostalgic look.

lloyd3

If I could get Glenn Campbell unwrapped from around the capstan drive, my AM/8-track would still work quite well (the radio's fine). One of the many projects slated for this Spring when my garage isn't so darn cold. There's nothing like going down the road, listening to the electric whine of the speakers and the "ker-chunk" of the tape head changing tracks.

ODZKing

All the old AM radios sounded good back in the day. Then as FM was replacing AM, the AM radios got cheaper.
Interesting though, according to the accessories book, there are 4 and parts book concurs.
Deluxe Am 2884064. AM/FM 2884635. AM 2884634. Then 2884636 AM w/Stereo Tape. I did find the optional Tape Player as well.  Not sure if all the pictures are accurate however?  :shruggy:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/PartsAccessories/1969/page02.jpg
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/PartsAccessories/1969/page03.jpg
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/PartsAccessories/1969/page04.jpg
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/PartsAccessories/1969/page05.jpg
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/PartsAccessories/1969/page06.jpg

lukedukem

Might be a dumb ? but do any of you guys know if they make a modern 8 track player I could put in my car
I came across a bundle of tapes in my 78 motor home I bought and thought it'd be cool to have a player for my car, but have power to run 6x9's. I guess I could use the one from the motor home. But not as powerful

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

ODZKing

Quote from: lukedukem on March 03, 2015, 11:34:41 AM
Might be a dumb ? but do any of you guys know if they make a modern 8 track player I could put in my car
I came across a bundle of tapes in my 78 motor home I bought and thought it'd be cool to have a player for my car, but have power to run 6x9's. I guess I could use the one from the motor home. But not as powerful
Luke
Crutchfield makes power booster. Search Car/RV/Boat.
Or something simple like this and have the option to add an MP3 player
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200W-12V-Mini-Hi-Fi-Amplifier-Booster-Radio-MP3-Stereo-for-Car-Motorcycle-Home-/400874379494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d55f998e6

timmycharger

Not totally related but I sent my AM 8 track out to Barry's 8 track service for cleaning, as well as wires added for an Amplifier and an MP3 player.  My ipod sounds amazing in the car,  looks totally stock.

lukedukem

Quote from: timmycharger on March 03, 2015, 12:25:36 PM
Not totally related but I sent my AM 8 track out to Barry's 8 track service for cleaning, as well as wires added for an Amplifier and an MP3 player.  My ipod sounds amazing in the car,  looks totally stock.

really  :scratchchin:
does the 8 track still work, how much was it if you dont mind me asking

luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on March 03, 2015, 10:26:30 AM
I figured a nice 8 track would look good in the dash, purely for the nostalgic look.

It's my understanding that both the AM/FM and AM/8-track units are fairly uncommon and big $$ if you can find them.

Fortunately, my car came with it's original thumb wheel AM/FM unit.  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

lloyd3

Mine had been helped over the years before I got it. I believe that in stock trim, all the factory 8-tracks had was something like 5-watts and two speakers in the dash.  This car came with some type of small booster amp/equilizer ( no idea about wattage, but not much more) well-hid up under the dash and better speakers in the package tray.  It's nothing like modern sound systems, but it definitely sounds like it did "back in the day", with all of the wow, flutter, and whine you might remember.  It dates me, but Lynyrd Skynyrd doesn't sound right to me to this day, without all the 8-track background sounds, Led Zeppelin either.

charge69

My 8-track/AM radio was cleaned up and a new band kit installed by my brother-in-law when I had the dash all apart for the restoration. It came with the 3 speakers in the dash and one speaker in the rear. I put the 3 speakers originally installed in the dash back in it but have yet to replace the rear speaker. The wiring is there, just haven't purchased one yet.

This is the best picture I have of it right now!

timmycharger

Quote from: lukedukem on March 03, 2015, 12:31:24 PM

luke

Yes, works great, he completely reserviced the tape player as well. It was about $300 or so. He doesnt detail the chrome however.

lukedukem

Quote from: timmycharger on March 03, 2015, 01:31:34 PM

luke

Yes, works great, he completely reserviced the tape player as well. It was about $300 or so. He doesnt detail the chrome however.

thats ok, just want it to work and be more powerful all in one, thanks

luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

6pkrtse

luke

I would like to know how much also. I need to do this to my 8 track.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

timmycharger

I tried looking for the paperwork but couldnt find it.  It was around $300 as stated above, they run a wire out the back (your choice of length) and that is where the Ipod jack and RCA inputs are. I then ran RCA cables to my amp and an extension wire hidden to my console for the Ipod. Very satisfied with the sound quality.

http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/

6pkrtse

Cool, thanks. I know I called there years ago & he said he could not convert it at that time for some reason?
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Brock Lee

Quote from: ODZKing on March 03, 2015, 11:14:23 AM
All the old AM radios sounded good back in the day. Then as FM was replacing AM, the AM radios got cheaper.
Interesting though, according to the accessories book, there are 4 and parts book concurs.
Deluxe Am 2884064. AM/FM 2884635. AM 2884634. Then 2884636 AM w/Stereo Tape.

Yeah, the difference between the Deluxe AM and the regular AM is the output wattage.

I am not up on current values of radios. I have a factory AM/FM in my car and when I had bought it (for $50), they were worth a lot, but I really wanted to use it in my car. Since the reproductions have come out using better electronics, I have wondered if the originals have dropped in value. I never cared enough to research it...lol.

Dino

Quote from: Brock Lee on March 05, 2015, 08:42:38 AM
Quote from: ODZKing on March 03, 2015, 11:14:23 AM
Deluxe Am 2884064. AM/FM 2884635. AM 2884634. Then 2884636 AM w/Stereo Tape.

Yeah, the difference between the Deluxe AM and the regular AM is the output wattage.

I am not up on current values of radios. I have a factory AM/FM in my car and when I had bought it (for $50), they were worth a lot, but I really wanted to use it in my car. Since the reproductions have come out using better electronics, I have wondered if the originals have dropped in value. I never cared enough to research it...lol.

The cheapest FM radio I've seen recently was $600, the 8 track was not much less.

ODZKing

Ahh, back in the day when the AMs were good, all my presets were not on local channels but the great AM stations.
WABC, CKLW, WLS, WCFL, WOWO.  They came in like locals here in central NY.

Ghoste

Even CKLW?  Wow, that was just up the road from here and we are a long way from NY so thats impressive.

Brock Lee

We could get CKLW in Waterbury CT, thought it was often kind of weak. Evenings and certain cloudy days it came in best.