News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

difference between master cylinders

Started by rt green, May 17, 2014, 10:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt green

whats the difference between a manual disc brake master and a power disc brake master?   bore size? stroke?  switching over from power drum and have a brand new manual disc brake master and want to use it.  anyone?
third string oil changer

A383Wing

the disc brake cylinder should have a larger reservoir for the calipers..one large & one small.....drum brake master should have both the same size

rt green

the new master that I have was listed for a manual disc brake car. not a power disc brake car. I was just wondering if it would work.
third string oil changer

A383Wing

rt green

third string oil changer

Kern Dog

That didn't answer the original question.
Master cylinders for power applications often have larger bore sizes. The larger bore size means that the pedal doesn't have to travel as far to be effective. Usually a shorter pedal travel means a really stiff pedal. The power booster makes up for it.
Manual disc master cylinders have a smaller bore. This does mean a longer pedal stoke is needed but the pedal effort is reduced.

John_Kunkel

The pedal stroke stays about the same because power/non-power have different pedal ratios.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rt green

maybe I should just buy a power one. hate to have a crappy pedal.
third string oil changer

keith88

I just bought a booster/master set up for mine that i will be changing. I have disc in the front and drum in the rear but have the drum booster and master on it noticed that it was different when i was looking into buying a new one made sure i got the right on this time the shape appears to be different on the booster as well. The biggest issue on it know is leaking a bit at the booster and was on it when i bought it a couple mouths ago looks like they put the wrong one on it like many other things im finding out.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.