News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Maximum Cooling - OEM Appearance...Which is the best radiator out there?

Started by Dodge Don, May 26, 2014, 08:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge Don

Currently I have a 26" OEM appearance "tripleflow" Radiator from US Radiator. (not aluminum)....for 440 BB 70 Charger. With factory fan shroud and 7 blade fan.

I performs pretty well but I have a pet peave about running hot in summer traffic. So I'm curious on options to improve.

I understand there are aluminum rads out there with OEM look...you can just paint them black to look OEM (example using Eastwood Radiator black paint).

Putting cost aside...

What is the absolute best OEM looking radiator out there to provide maximum cooling....must look OEM and fit like OEM.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Charger-Bodie

Glen Ray is the best . There is no other option in my opinion. Bobs radiators are a work of art, and they really work.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

I agree about the OEM look on Glen-Ray rads. They are the closest thing to factory, part numbers, stampings and all. They are made of brass like factory as well, right Brian?

About the closest "stock" appearing aluminum rads are the ones from Griffin. No numbers or anything like that, but they have the dimples & shape like stock radiators and fit in the factory locations. They also have the optional fittings below for the stock auto trans cooler lines, and you can even mount a stock shroud to it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Dodge Don

Sorry I should have been clearer....my fault....when I referred to OEM appearance I wasn't referring to part numbers/stampings/date codes...just generally looking like a factory rad. I know Glen-Ray make the best reproduction rads...but are they the best performing vs. say a Griffin aluminum rad that "looks" stock (vs that typical square aluminum look). I've done some reading and there are so many opinions on brass vs aluminum, number of cores, tubing size etc etc etc.....I would have thought some Mopar mag or shop would have done a comparison on performance of various rads on a 440.  :scratchchin:

Charger-Bodie

I had a glen ray max cool in my Hemi Daytona clone.  526 ci ran at 180 even on hot days and you know what kind of a job it is to cool a Daytona. Stock 116 clutch fan too. Just bought another for my f8 69 that I just changed over to a Hemi..... I have zero experience with aluminum radiators in these cars though .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

myk

bill440rt

Don, the Griffin in my '69 is a 26" 2-row unit. Also has the provision for the auto trans cooler, but I also run an external cooler in conjunction with it.
A few years back in the sweltering heat at Carlisle it ran cool as a cucumber with the A/C cranking. Was at least 105*+ that weekend. I've had it out on many hot summer days with the A/C blowing and the Griffin performs VERY well.

Good to know Glen Ray also makes some nice OE factory looking ones that also do a great job as well.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

histoy

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on May 26, 2014, 04:41:16 PM
I had a glen ray max cool in my Hemi Daytona clone.  526 ci ran at 180 even on hot days and you know what kind of a job it is to cool a Daytona. Stock 116 clutch fan too. Just bought another for my f8 69 that I just changed over to a Hemi..... I have zero experience with aluminum radiators in these cars though .

I bought his car and I agree 100%.   I've never owned a big block Mopar that runs as cool as this car.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Dodge Don on May 26, 2014, 02:56:02 PM
Sorry I should have been clearer....my fault....when I referred to OEM appearance I wasn't referring to part numbers/stampings/date codes...just generally looking like a factory rad. I know Glen-Ray make the best reproduction rads...but are they the best performing vs. say a Griffin aluminum rad that "looks" stock (vs that typical square aluminum look). I've done some reading and there are so many opinions on brass vs aluminum, number of cores, tubing size etc etc etc.....I would have thought some Mopar mag or shop would have done a comparison on performance of various rads on a 440.  :scratchchin:
Have you thought about the four row 26" oem style radiator from US Radiator. I had/have a 26" dodge police car three row radiator that the previous owner installed into a 22" opening, cooled my 383 at 190.     

From what I've read the life expectancy of aftermarket aluminum radiators will be far less than that of copper/brass. Copper/brass radiators, because of their weight and durability, have been around a long time and can be easily disassembled and reassembled for cleaning purposes. Not the case with aluminum, unless speaking of the O.E. version that comes with crimp mounted plastic tanks.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."