News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Under Hood Clearance

Started by john108, May 25, 2014, 09:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

I know that this topic has been discussed many times but I haven't seen a definitive answer with the same hardware (I may have missed it!).  I have seen various combinations of hardware and body styles.  I have even beat around the bush with this question before but approaching a deadline now.

My engine is getting close to going on the Dyno.  I would like it tested with the same configuration as when it is installed in the car.

My major concern now is whether to install a 1 inch thick phenolic spacer below the carb or reduce it to a 1/2 inch thick spacer.
When I did the math, it was very close, but I can't find it now.

The configuration is for a 1968 Dodge Charger (NO Hood Scoop or Bulge).
440 block
Holley Street Dominator Inlet Manifold
Phenolic Spacer with gaskets
Proform 950 Carb 67202
Air Cleaner Assy-Drop 1.25 (K&N 66-3040)

I hope someone has some hands-on experience and can put my fears to rest.
Thank you,
John

fy469rtse

John very close even with the 1/2 inch spacer, but the spacer is a must for the heat insulation,
I got a bit more clearance changing carby kick down to cables, slight dimpling and trimmed the lip ring that sits on carby, don't leave too much air cleaner stud up ,

John_Kunkel

Put some balls of modeling clay around the rim of the air cleaner and close the hood...measure the clay.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

john108

Thank you both.

I was planning on having the correct thickness spacer on the engine during dyno testing.