News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator bolt broken off in the head

Started by Bob T, May 18, 2014, 02:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob T

Hi Guys, I got back from a run yesterday and noticed the fan belt squealing at the last set of traffic lights, found that the top long alt bolt had snapped off in the head. ( 440 68 R/T )

Would I get a better result dot punching, drilling and using an ezi-out to wind it out if the block was warm or cold?

Also, could someone please measure their top mount bolt and post it up with the thread pitch so I can get one ordered.
Thanks
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Bob T

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

fy469rtse

Yep bob punch it and then drill, should come out with easy out , I will measure mine tonight , if I remember there a bit short, there's more thread thee to be used

Bob T

Well, after discussing it with my Toolmaker buddy, we decided not to drill and ezi out it. As he said " ezi outs are a swear word in his workshop".
So, after trying to cut a screwdriver type flat slot in it with an air powered dremmel tool, we were able to vibrate the broken off piece anti clockwise and get it out,  Win!!!
Lucky it wasn't bottomed out.
Happy with that.
3/8 x 6" unc  and off to the bolt man  :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

fy469rtse

Now while you up the front bob, fit those side L brackets to that front bumper, you know the ones you were going to get a while ago lol,
You beat me :lol: to it and fixed your bolt already, because of the stress on it, was going to suggest , grade 5 at least

Bob T

Quote from: fy469rtse on May 26, 2014, 05:43:22 AM
Now while you up the front bob, fit those side L brackets to that front bumper, you know the ones you were going to get a while ago lol,
You beat me :lol: to it and fixed your bolt already, because of the stress on it, was going to suggest , grade 5 at least

Haha, yeah, should do those brackets too, haven't ordered any or done anything about it either recently, cars are taking a back seat with everything else that has been going on lately. I spend more time in the garage playing guitars and stuff than anything else now, hardly even been driving it....
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

A383Wing

I have never had a problem with easy-outs....yer toolmaker buddy probably does not know how to use them correctly...

you got lucky using an air hammer on the bolt....

Bob T

Quote from: A383Wing on May 26, 2014, 08:46:39 PM
I have never had a problem with easy-outs....yer toolmaker buddy probably does not know how to use them correctly...

you got lucky using an air hammer on the bolt....

Actually, yeah he does , as do I. The problem we didn't want to contend with was that the ezi out expands the bolt on extraction and forces it harder into the thread wall, if it goes bad from there, then we would have been faced with broken off tool steel in the hole and having to spark erode it after taking the head off.

I maybe should've been clearer about the tool too, it was an air dremmel not air hammer, the tip in it was only about 2.5mm across , stalleted ball head so it could cut a screw driver slot. Fortunately, the vibration got the broken off piece moving
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

69rtse4spd

As long as you do not drill to big of hole fo the ez out, & you are on center, they work. But yea we use them as a last resort around here too. You just have to know when to stop.