News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dumb mistake.... Advice welcomed....

Started by Monziac, May 27, 2014, 01:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monziac

I just put my vinyl top on and I cleaned up excess glue with lacquer thinner. It turned the black top sorta chalky. Any idea how I can get that new look back without redoing it? Any conditioners or tricks?

Thsnks,
Jon

twodko

Man, sorry to hear this. If you haven't already, wash the top using only water, no soap.
You don't want to dry it out anymore.
Buy some Meguairs vinyl conditoner, Voodoo vinyl conditoner or I'm sure Mother's
makes a similar product.
Apply a thorough coat to the top, let it set for awhile and see if that solves
the problem.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Monziac

Thank you, after 25 years of working on cars I am still capable of stupid..... :-) This was my first vinyl top and it sucked! I hate the thought of doing it sgain... Haha...

twodko

I'm sure it's going to come back looking great.

If I started writing about all my resto "dammits" it would
be a lengthy narrative.

Nothing dumb about it, just something to add to your knowledge
toolbox AND pass on to someone else.

Some other tools for you: 3M adhesive remover and WD40
Both amazing products that will safely remove a lot of stuff
from many surfaces.

I used both to clean off all the old adhesive when I pulled the old vinyl top
off my car.

Monziac

Lol, yes my Damnit list would be huge! However, I am generally in the black even after screwing up having done it myself. My funnest tool has to be mollasses. Awesome rust remover. Takes 2 weeks but the part is clean when it comes out. Great for parts that are complex or that you can't blast. Thanks for the pep talk! :-)

twodko

Monziac

Now serving waffles. FYI this AM I went out and softened the material and then rubbed black shoe polish in it. Seems to have recolored/stained it. Time will tell but I am gonna roll it in the sun and see what happens.