News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best cam choice for a 493 on the street

Started by moparsr2fast, May 23, 2014, 08:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparsr2fast

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 31, 2014, 09:27:23 AM

How are you getting a 493 out of a 440 ?

4.150" stroke,  6.760" rod length, 4.350" piston.

So, are you guys telling me that my heads are limiting me to 5500 rpm or less regardless  of which cam I use?  Is this motor going to run into a wall around that rpm, or taper off in power? How much difference would it make doing some port work now, but leave the factory manifolds?

I am not fixated on a roller either. If a solid makes more sense, then I have no problem using one. I was keeping in mind the tuneablity of the six pac.
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

firefighter3931

Quote from: moparsr2fast on May 31, 2014, 03:46:57 PM

So, are you guys telling me that my heads are limiting me to 5500 rpm or less regardless  of which cam I use?  Is this motor going to run into a wall around that rpm, or taper off in power? How much difference would it make doing some port work now, but leave the factory manifolds?

I am not fixated on a roller either. If a solid makes more sense, then I have no problem using one. I was keeping in mind the tuneablity of the six pac.

Bob,

A 500in motor is going to be all done at 5500 using a std port window....that is a given. It's just a function of the port CSA vs displacement.  :yesnod:

In a race application with lots of compression and a big cam you can fool the engine a bit....and extend the powerband but that's not what this engine is all about.....you're looking for a cruiser.

Porting the heads will allow it to make more power but it won't push the powerband up significantly. It will make the increased power at the same RPM.....which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Why rev the motor to 6500 if you don't have to ?  ;)

Just gear the car accordingly and enjoy the low rpm grunt  :drive:

Ron 
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ACUDANUT

I bet this 493 is going to be around 15K ?