News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Axle won't sit flush onto leaf spring?

Started by Canadian1968, May 18, 2014, 08:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

Putting the rear end back in the car. I have the spings up in place, lower the axle down and put U Bolts threw the shock perches.

Try bolting all together, the axle will sit not down on top of the leaf spring. The top of the center bolt of in the leaf spring will not sit into the axle mount.  Or should this be a tough press ???

ottawamerc

Did you change the springs? Cause the after market springs may have a different size nut holding the spring assembly together, I have seen it on my new springs from Springs and things. If they are new and you have the old ones I would swap out the nut and bolt, they align the axle to the spring.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Canadian1968

I had then pulled apart and re-banded he must have put in a different center bolt... I can just put one on that fits into the axle?

John_Kunkel

The center bolt should have a 1/2" head.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Canadian1968

So here is a picture of what I am talking about.

The leaf spring and mount on the axle should sit flush together should they not??   I am being stopped by the hex part , which leave about a 1/4" gap between spring and axle. ??

ottawamerc

This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Canadian1968

Hmmm so what are my options . I don't think I could pick up a piece like that just from a regular hardware store ? Am I gonna have to go back to place I had it done and try to source the original??? 

Or do I get creative with a grinder !?

matrout76

I have bought high strength Socket Head Cap Screws (bolt) and then just turned the head down to the correct diameter to fit into the spring saddle. 

A 3/8" SHCS has a head OD of 9/16".  you will essentially need to grind off the knurling on the heads to get the right diameter.

McMaster-Carr is a good place to order these from, lots of options for lengths.