News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clever way to coat inside body and sub frames.

Started by b5blue, May 13, 2014, 02:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I removed the extension wand from the cap on Eastwood's "Rust Encapsulator with 24 sprayer extension" by pulling the cap off and snapping along both sides with tin snips. The cap is very rigid plastic so the brass adapter with the hose fell off the cap. Next I took a 98 cent spray bottle from Walmart, removed the tip and drilled the hole out with a 1/8 drill bit. I pressed the extension into the hole firmly.
  I replaced the cap and found that if you put it on too tight it won't spray but keep adjusting it out and testing and you'll find it will spray nicely. That "wand" has small holes in the tip that shoot at different angles and one straight ahead. I filled the Qt. bottle with OSPHO and in no time at all was coating inside my sub frames and other areas impossible to get to any other way. The OSPHO is nasty stuff, I'd stop and wash up if any dribbled on me as it will burn ya.
  The wand was a used one, it worked so well spraying Rust Encapsulator I was careful to clean it out by pumping lacquer thinner through it after using it. (It lasted several cans but was building up some black paint in the tube.)
  This should give a way to inject anything as thin as rattle can spray paint, the OSPHO is thin constancy so it worked real well.     
This is what I used the extension off of:
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rust-encapsulator-w-ext-nozzle-black.html 
Here is what I made.

tsmithae

That's a great idea, I'm definitely going to file that one away in my brain-space for future reference.  :2thumbs:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

sanders7981

Oh man!  F'n genius!! I got one of hose left, I may have to revisit some of the unreachable areas.  Good tip!  :2thumbs:

Troy

Cool! :2thumbs: I have a bunch of those. Been thinking of trying to find a long(er) tube to squeeze some "self leveling" seam sealer down into the rails where there are supports or seams. Heavy primer would probably work too. Do you get good pressure with all the holes and a hand pump?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

b5blue

Yes good pressure Troy. I don't know how thick of a product your thinking of?  :scratchchin:  It may need the tip removed or modified.  :2thumbs:

areibel

Maybe a similar mod to a grease gun to pump heavier stuff?

Charger_Dart

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

b5blue

Quote from: areibel on May 19, 2014, 09:33:00 AM
Maybe a similar mod to a grease gun to pump heavier stuff?
I use to have a "needle tip" for my grease gun for injecting grease. If you put a hose on one of those it would work but not likely to spray.  :scratchchin:
I'm glad you guys like it!  :2thumbs: After farting around more I've about run out of OSPHO but I think this is going to serve my long time rust halting issues. I've started prepping my hood for doing this inside the hood frame and other areas impossible to get to any other way.

72Charger72

Great idea I just bought the Eastwood myself! Good to know before I start! Thanks!