News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake pedal pushrod

Started by comet_666, May 19, 2014, 03:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Is there a difference between auto and manual brake pedal pushrod lengths?

terrible one

Yes, the manual brake pushrod is quite a bit longer. Going by memory the power brake pushrod is like 3.5" long and the manaul is 6" or so

comet_666

Brakes are still manual, just changed to disk fronts. I also swapped pedal assemblies from 4 speed to auto

A383Wing

Quote from: comet_666 on May 19, 2014, 03:47:01 PM

no, there is no difference in push rod length between auto & manual trans.

comet_666

I pulled the pushrod from the 4 speed pedal assembly, brakes were manual and still are. New master cylinder but it's for manual brakes. Not sure what I am missing here?

A383Wing

did you put the old pushrod into new master cylinder with new o-ring all the way in?

comet_666

The guy that is putting it together I would hope did, he said it's almost 3 inches too long.

A383Wing

I don't think we are getting the full story here....you say you swapped from a 4spd to auto? Was one manual brakes and one power brakes?

comet_666

nope, both manual. Was 4 wheel drum now disk/drum

A383Wing

well, he's got something wrong then, a difference of 3" is strange seeing as all the manual brake rods for the "B" body were same length...."A" body is shorter, but not by much. Maybe he's got the rod on the wrong mounting hole on the pedal

comet_666

Not having this in my possession currently, there are multiple mounting holes on the brake pedal?

b5blue

There was an "early" B body peddle that was different, something like 64 and older. Power brakes have the "Z" bar set up that is different but the actual peddles are the same between man./power brake. Of course the peddles are different between man. and auto to allow for the clutch peddle. I converted my power brakes to manual just by changing the reinforcement plate and pushrod after removing the booster and it's plate along with the "Z bar" setup. The peddle sits higher than when it had power brakes but worked fine. For MANUAL Disk brakes only one year master was used by the factory. It had a longer reach for the plunger and that was for 1971 I think.
Possibly your new peddle is the early type.   

comet_666

Not sure, I found a pic of one for sale on ebay and sent i to the person that is working on this and he said it is the exact same.

Hard Charger

Quote from: comet_666 on May 19, 2014, 03:47:01 PM

Yes
manual push rod is longer out of the MC.

Power push rod is shorter out of the booster, it attach's to a separate wedge more leverage thingy that attach's to the pedal.

this answers the question above.

A383Wing

he did not ask about power or manual brake pedal push rod length...he asked about auto & manual...which would lead to believe transmission, no?

please show me where he asked about power brakes in his request?

Hard Charger

comet_666

Ok, here are a few pics I took.

comet_666

And inside the car.

comet_666

Without the shop manual in front of me I am going to assume that picture # 1 goes partially into the master cylinder and the other end bolts the the brake pedal?

A383Wing

yes, that is correct

remove rod from old plunger and then install it in new master cylinder....it will be a job getting it out...put rod in vise almost up to plunger, use two flat blade screwdrivers and pry old plunger off rod. There should have been a piece of rubber to put back on rod that came with master cylinder.....will require pressure to get rod into new master

comet_666

Ahh, so the rod and the plunger come apart, I see!

Wow A383Wing that is extremely helpful! Thank you!

A383Wing

I used a small piece of vacuum tubing for the end of the push rod when putting it back into the new cylinder....you just gotta find the right size....the rubber piece is just there to keep rod in the plunger from coming back out

comet_666

Ok, so I was able to remove pushrod from the rest of the assembly, however the rubber bushing inside is in rough shape, A383Wing you may have mentioned this (here should have been a piece of rubber to put back on rod that came with master cylinder)
Seeing as I don't think the new master cylinder came with this new bushing or my mechanic lost it, where would I find another?

A383Wing

I cut off a piece of vacuum hose to fit on there....just needs to fill the gap lengthwise and be large enough to snap into the master cylinder.....when you find the right size, use a little dielectric grease to install it...it should not come out by itself once installed