News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where do you mount A/F gauges or other small gauges?

Started by XH29N0G, May 05, 2014, 04:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

Where do you mount A/F gauges? Or do you just use it for tuning and then remove when not in use?

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

myk

Hang them underneath your dash like any other muscle/classic car with add-on gauges.  Or, you can have a custom dash made with all of your gauges installed inside...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

XH29N0G

I have been thinking about under the dash and then removing it when not in use, but thought there might be some nifty solutions that others have and would share.

Has anyone put gauges in where the radio delete plate fits?

Or maybe it protects us. 

Dino

In the ashtray.  Out of sight until you need it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Back N Black

Personally i don't like aftermarket gages hanging under the dash on muscle cars. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge mounted on the passenger side next to heater box vent out of sight and i can see it from drivers position. And i have a volt gauge mounted inside the center console, lift the door to check volts.  :2thumbs:

XH29N0G

Quote from: Dino on May 06, 2014, 08:04:21 PM
In the ashtray.  Out of sight until you need it.
Quote from: Back N Black on May 07, 2014, 09:35:23 AM
Personally i don't like aftermarket gages hanging under the dash on muscle cars. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge mounted on the passenger side next to heater box vent out of sight and i can see it from drivers position. And i have a volt gauge mounted inside the center console, lift the door to check volts.  :2thumbs:

Thanks, I have a bench seat so no center console.  I cannot quite figure out how to manage the ashtray trick.  It looks to me like the gauge will fit width wise into the ash tray, but be too deep.  It also looks like I could modify the inside and mount it where the lighter is, but I would then loose that.  Can you point me to anyone who has done such a modification so I can see how they solved it?

Or maybe it protects us. 

Dino

I don't know anyone who did it to a charger, but when I made my voltmeter conversion I removed the body of the gauge, that gives you way more clearance if you want to keep the actual ashtray insert.  Another option is to just remove the stock ashtray insert and make a bracket to hold the gauge.  You can still use the lighter as well.  In effect you'd just have a suspended gauge in the dash with a functioning tray door.  Does that make sense?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XH29N0G

Both make sense.  I had not thought about removing the body of the gauge for space.  This helps and gives me some ideas to think about. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

Calif240

I've got an A/F mixture gauge, and a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I'm trying to custom fab a plate inside my console that won't damage the original console, but would make the gauges easily visible with the door up, but completely hidden with the door down. Right now, the A/F gauge is in there but just lays there and I hold it while I check the mixture and carb tuning. It would be cool if there was an aftermarket mount that fit nicely.

Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

XH29N0G

This is just an FYI if others want to know.  I found that the small 2 1/16 innovate DB gauge would fit in the ashtray of a 70 charger after removing the metal ring around it.  The lense stays on.  There are also notches in the ashtray and holes in the back by the lighter to allow for the wires to make it to the controller which I put behind the dash. It is not super pretty, but it is visible when the ashtray is opened, and invisible when the ashtray is closed.  I put the computer feed into the glove compartment and that can fit out through the gap in the glove compartment to log the data. Dino, thanks for the idea.

Or maybe it protects us.