News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

West half of Route 66 - Suggestions on Car Guy stuff to see

Started by triple_green, May 03, 2014, 04:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

We are driving From Oklahoma City to Flagstaff on Route 66 this May 10-15. Any interesting car related stops we should make. Especially things that are not well know in the standard Tour information.

Thanks!
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

TheAutoArchaeologist

Kern Dog

The wife and I did this trip in 2006. We also started in Oklahoma. There are a few Rt 66 museums in OK. We stopped at a few of the tourist traps. There are some "bypasses" that go around old 66. We had a Ram 1500 4x4 so we took every old beat up road there was. We saw several clusters of junker cars along the roadside from OK to Flagstaff. In New Mexico I went off the road to see one group of cars and drove over a chunk of concrete with rebar in it. The rebar went through the tire and rim. I had to replace both in Scottsdale. We saw abandoned buildings, old gas pumps, vintage signage. The Caddilac Ranch in Amarrilo isn't anything special, just a group of graffitti covered Caddys half buried in the dirt. Some of the buildings along the way were gorgeous, even the abandoned ones.
We want to take another trip on Rt 66 in the Summer of 2015. We plan to buy a Challenger late this year and want to drive the whole thing from Illinois to CA.

Ghoste

I would think you could just drive it and keep your eyes peeled and you would see all kinds of interesting things.

triple_green

The Route 66 part of my vacation was a snoooooze. We did meet up with one Corvette Club at Winslow, AZ. There were 5 C6s and a nice 65 convertible.

This place was actually really nice and had a lot of cars and it was free:

http://www.russellsttc.com/NewMuseum.html

They had a bunch of Linegfelter and Callaway stuff that was pushing big HP. Also a lot of nice memorabilia.

Other than that nothing.

Sendona, Az, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park were all awesome and worth the trip.

If I never go to Las Vegas again, it will be fine.....

Overall a great trip..hated to go back to work this morning..life is tough....
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)