News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition switch question

Started by keith88, May 03, 2014, 05:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

I had my son helping me turn over the car today while installing a new dist ,while cranking it over it just stopped turning over after working many times i believe that it is my ignition switch I can take a screwdriver and get the starter to turn over by bypassing it at the starter relay and the switch has not felt it best when starting it since i have had it. Am i right that  the power goes from the battery to the switch to the starter? I just had the trani done and the safety switch for that was done than so i dont think that it could be that.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Dino

Power goes from battery to starter and starter relay.  From relay through fusible link and bulkhead connector to ammeter to splice to ignition switch.

If the switch feels loose or temperamental then replacing it is a good idea.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

keith88

Where is the fuseable link ? I thought there was one but could not find it . Could it still be the switch that is bad? What else should i look for?
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Dino

The fusible link goes from the starter relay stud to the middle bulkhead connector, bottom right slot.  On the other side of the firewall this becomes the red wire going to the ammeter.

I saw your other post, if you still have the cluster out you can check the back of the ignition switch real easy to see if any wires are loose or damaged. 

Another thing to check is the short yellow wire going from the bottom bulkhead connector (top row, 2nd from the right) to the starter relay,.  That one goes to the switch as well.  If it's damaged the switch will be dead.  It's just an 18 gauge wire going to the bottom left connector on the starter relay.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

keith88

Do you know if there is a wire that i can jump by to test to see if there if it is the switch . And yes the cluster is still out i have attached the two amp wires together using a plastic clamp when i wanted to try and start it ,would that fact have any thing to do with it and, I have also just wired a new two wire HEI distributor in with it and that is why i was trying to start it would that have any thing to do with it?

Pete in NH

Hi,

I would check the neutral safety switch and make sure the connector in on all the way. Do you have a meter or test light that can be used to check for voltages?

The ignition switch could be bad, but, its also likely to be the neutral safety switch. We can trace the connections if you have a meter.

keith88

The safety switch is new a week ago when the trani was done checked it... it is ok. Do not have a meter. But can jump the starter at the relay and it works that way not just when you turn the key.The key never fit and felt like i thought it should that is why i highly expect it.

Pete in NH

It's going to take a meter or simple test light to troubleshoot and figure out if its the ignition switch, starter relay, connector pins or safety switch. Just because a part is brand new doesn't mean it's good, especially in these days of cheap imports.

You can buy  simple, cheap meters for anywhere between $5 and $10. They are a good investment for troubleshooting these types of problems.

keith88

I do have a test list that tells me power or no power would that work?

Pete in NH

Yes, a simple test light will work.

First test- Put one end of the light on the brown wire on the starter relay and the other end of the light on the starter relay battery stud the light should come on only when the car is in neutral or park. This checks the neutral safety switch. If that is okay go to test 2.

Second Test- Put one end of the light on the yellow wire on the starter relay and the other end to ground. The light should light when you turn the key to the start position. If that's okay go to test 3.

Third test- Put one end of the light on the yellow wire. The other end on the brown wire. The light should come on when you put the key in the start position. If it does the starter relay is likely bad and I would change it.

keith88

Ill give that a shot when i get home thank you

keith88

Pete in NH

The yellow wire goes through the bulk head connector on pin T to the back of the ignition switch. Try removing and reseating the bulk head connector section with pin T to clean up the contacts a bit. If that doesn't work look at the back of the ignition switch and find the yellow wire. Put your test light from the yellow wire to ground and see if it lights when you turn the key to the start position. If not, put your test light on the red wire on the back of the ignition switch and the  other end of the light on ground the light should come on. If it does and you don't have anything on the yellow wire the ignition switch is bad.

keith88

Thanks ill check that out when i get home.

keith88

Ended up buying a new relay and it turns over again how ever it is temperamental so i am getting a new switch for it as well cant hurt seeing that mine feels horrible when you turn it over. On the other side of things the new 2 wire distributor(procomp) dose not work so its going back i did not realize that i had the upgrade kit in it already so its going back in after i give it a tune up.

keith88

Bought a new switch with keys and for $10 more door locks cylinders with same keys to go with it. Got the car running again will be putting the switch in this weekend. Life is good!