News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally drove my 73 Charger home from shop, no more overheating

Started by WH23G3G, May 15, 2014, 05:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I finally was able to drive my 73 Charger 400 home from a better shop that actually got it roadworthy. It's probably the longest it's been driven since I got it and probably for the past 20 years. They fixed the overheating just a thermostat, reinstalled carburetor, hooked up choke, adjusted gearbox, installed master cylinder, and adjusted timing. It didn't need a fan clutch like the last clown I took it to said. I drove about 15-20 miles from the shop to my house and the temp gauge never got above 1/4. I told him I would be back to fix some other minor issues. It idles good, starts pretty easy, has decent power, but if you stomp on the gas full throttle it will die. But it will start right back up no problem. It's got a Weiand replacement intake and an Edelbrock 1400 600cfm that the last clown installed. The new shop didn't do anything to the carb except put a stud kit on and hook up the choke. Also another issue it seemed that the heater was on eventhough the blower switch was off and the temp lever was at the low. 

cudaken

Great to hear you finally got to drive it!  :cheers: Sounds like you finally found the right shop.  :2thumbs:

Ken
I am back

WH23G3G

Yes it actually drove pretty good for an old car. It didn't have any vibrations or unusual noises. It was actually pretty smooth ride. I've still got some minor things to fix before I really drive it frequently. I found out the brake lights didn't light up when I was driving it so I definitely need to fix that. The speedometer didn't work but I noticed I forgot to plug it in. Hope that was the problem I don't want to pull the cluster again. I'm taking it back in a few weeks to get the a/c going, and probably to see if he can tweak this carb. It won't smoke these 14 inch tires.