News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

window channel rust

Started by 73charger440, May 11, 2014, 08:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73charger440

Question i have a 73 and it has a section about 1 inch section thats rusted out the part the trim hook to is fine its just the inside were it bends   any idea how to fix it ,it almost looks like it can be welded up and ground down bt not sure,could a lead rod be melted and used to fill in ?

73charger440

This is above the door , other ones above the windshield

sanders7981

You coud do a couple things... Weld in a new strip of metal, probably the preferred method, or use some metal 2 metal from evercoat for a quick fix. 

73charger440

The thing I worry about it would be such a small sliver of metal I would think it would burn through

sanders7981

It's not impossible.  You'd up just have to tke your time and be careful.  I repaired the entire lower section of my front window groove on the upper cowl.  I just took my time and made sure cut out enough to get to unrusted/affected metal.   

73charger440

Would it be possible to overlap the metal or would it have to be butt welded for the windshield to seal correctly ?

sanders7981

I butt welded mine, but I don't see why not.  The gasket should contour over the welded pieces.  You could probably try use a chisel to push down the bad ares enough so the piece welded over wouldn't sit as high.  Just do some proper rust preventative prep before hand.