News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any Runners?

Started by PrisonHack, May 13, 2014, 03:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrisonHack

Anyone into running as a hobby? I started about 1 1/2 years ago when I made it up to about 210 pounds and my BP and Cholesterol were jacked up. Started out struggling to do a 5K. Now if I don't run 3-4 miles a day at least 5 days a week I feel like a slacker. Done a couple half marathons and trying to psych myself up for a full sometime this year.

472 R/T SE

I was never much of a runner.  I always got bad chin splints.  I think our daughter is leaning towards it.  She'll take off on occasion & just start running around the block a bunch.  She's trying to get into shape for summer soccer too but has mentioned track several times.

Local we have the #2 ranked cross country high school runner gal.

I got up to 218 myself last November.  Between a big ol' abscess tooth & the scare of cancer and I'm down to 164.
When you hear people say skin & bones, that's what my legs' look like now.  Just a layer of skin over the bones.   :D   Atrophy has kicked my butt.

Dino

Not yet but I'm working on it.  I'm 5' 11", 190-195 lbs., in good physical shape, move around as much as I can and eat healthy without exception but I also have exercise induced asthma I picked up when I was not doing so well.  It's incredibly hard to do anything that requires serious exertion so I'm slowly building it up.  If I push myself I know it can be the last thing I ever do.  My morning class was cut short yesterday due to technical issues which gave me  over an hour to burn so I walked around campus twice.  It may not be running but it beats starting at the damn laptop again.

472 that's scary stuff!  The abscess alone could have spelled disaster.  Please tell us the scare is over now!

Have you ever had a physical therapist do passive rom to improve circulation?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ECS

Quote from: PrisonHack on May 13, 2014, 03:34:22 PM
Anyone into running as a hobby? I started about 1 1/2 years ago when I made it up to about 210 pounds and my BP and Cholesterol were jacked up. Started out struggling to do a 5K. Now if I don't run 3-4 miles a day at least 5 days a week I feel like a slacker. Done a couple half marathons and trying to psych myself up for a full sometime this year.

Great Job!  I run 2-3 miles every other day with weight training and sparring on the in between days.  I weigh 210 but actually wish I could gain a few extra (good) pounds.  Keep up the good work and you'll feel 25 even when you're 50 or older.  :2thumbs:      
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

nh_mopar_fan

Yup. I had run 5ks here and there but I got serious in the spring of 2009.

Started running and by mid-summer was I was running about 25-40 miles a week. Dropped 40+lbs.

Ran my first, the NH Half Marathon in Oct 2009, one month before I turned 47.
Ran the Miami Marathon in Jan 2010
Sarasota Half March 2010

I've run 1-2 halfs every year since.

Just signed up for one in October in Hampton Beach NH.

Get good shoes. DO NOT cheap out on shoes.

tsmithae

I agree, get GOOD shoes. I used to run a 5k 3-5 times a week but a run-in with a 700# case last August ended that for me... here's hoping you get to enjoy many many more years of running.   :cheers:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 13, 2014, 06:27:05 PM
I was never much of a runner.  I always got bad chin splints. 

If you learned to pick up your feet, you wouldn't keep falling on your face.

Problem solved.

PrisonHack

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on May 13, 2014, 10:06:51 PM
Yup. I had run 5ks here and there but I got serious in the spring of 2009.

Started running and by mid-summer was I was running about 25-40 miles a week. Dropped 40+lbs.

Ran my first, the NH Half Marathon in Oct 2009, one month before I turned 47.
Ran the Miami Marathon in Jan 2010
Sarasota Half March 2010

I've run 1-2 halfs every year since

Just signed up for one in October in Hampton Beach NH.

Get good shoes. DO NOT cheap out on shoes.

That's awesome, I have dropped over 40 pounds since starting as well. My main goal at first was to drop some weight since heart disease runs in my family, but then it got addicting and I actually started to love running. I am just about to turn 38 and I haven't been in this good of shape since I came out of police academy a lot of years ago. Actually cardio wise I am in in better shape now than then.

nh_mopar_fan

Nice.  :2thumbs: Congrats! :cheers:

I'm probably in the best shape in my life right now as well.

Ever "forget" that you are running?

The first time I forgot that I was running was a trip. Just deep in thought and then you realize, hey, I'm still running! :-)

Love hitting that zone.

Back N Black

I go to the Gym 5 days a week, I run about 10 to 15k per week and weight training every day. I'm fortunate that my job allows me the time to workout. :2thumbs:

RECHRGD

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 14, 2014, 06:11:38 AM
I was never much of a runner.  I always got bad chin splints. 

Problem solved.

472R/T SE certainly wishes he could pick up his feet.  Insert foot in mouth......
13.53 @ 105.32

472 R/T SE

Quote from: RECHRGD on May 14, 2014, 09:29:33 AM

Problem solved.

472R/T SE certainly wishes he could pick up his feet.  Insert foot in mouth......

Thanks Bob.

He knows.  His humor isn't for all but he's harmless.  Besides, I can use that for my comic relief.  If I can't laugh about my situation it'll end up driving me off the deep end.   ;D   I sure get some funny looks when disparaging myself. 

RECHRGD

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 14, 2014, 03:55:12 PM

Problem solved.

Thanks Bob.

He knows.  His humor isn't for all but he's harmless.  Besides, I can use that for my comic relief.  If I can't laugh about my situation it'll end up driving me off the deep end.   ;D   I sure get some funny looks when disparaging myself. 

OK  :2thumbs:  just didn't sound right to me.  Glad to see you're doing OK!  I'm just getting older and grumpier.....
13.53 @ 105.32

472 R/T SE

No you're not.   :Twocents:

I call it respect.

Prison Hack, sorry for jacking.  :-\

PrisonHack

Bobs69

I run 5k's at least.  I can go farther.  7.5 I think is my farthest.  Next milestone will be a 10K. 

I've only run outside twice so far this season now that the weather is getting better.  I did keep up the cardio over the winter at the gym, and kept lifting weights.  They also have something here called a Jacobs Ladder.  It's tuff.  I managed to get up to 30 minutes on it.

http://www.americanfitness.net/JacobsLadder.aspx

PrisonHack

If your experience is anything like mine you will notice that you run a lot faster outside than on the treadmill, I'm not sure why that is. All winter I ran on the treadmill 5-6 days a week. I would average 9:30 a mile and that's about all I could get, then the first race I signed up for this season which was an 8K (just a hair under 5 miles) I averaged 8:01 a mile! Of course running in a group with your adrenaline levels raised makes a difference as well.

It was raining here yesterday so I did 10 miles on the mill,getting ready for a law enforcement torch run to benefit special Olympics next Wednesday. It's kind of a relay run where there is a support trailer behind the runners that you can get in and out of to rest. My goal is to try and do the whole run (20 miles) a friend of mine who is running with us regularly does marathons and has done a couple of 50 mile trail runs so he should keep me motivated. Also we will be doing a very slow pace so I am hoping to pull it off.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 14, 2014, 03:55:12 PM
I was never much of a runner.  I always got bad chin splints.  

Problem solved.

472R/T SE certainly wishes he could pick up his feet.  Insert foot in mouth......

Thanks Bob.

He knows.  His humor isn't for all but he's harmless.  Besides, I can use that for my comic relief.  If I can't laugh about my situation it'll end up driving me off the deep end.   ;D   I sure get some funny looks when disparaging myself.  

I'm glad to hear that you understand my sense of humor and I can also understand how others might take it wrong. Most importantly, I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. Something like that sure does put one's life in a different perspective. Wishing you continued good health.  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have been trying to run more myself this year.  Starting out on treadmill doing about 2 miles every other day.  Slacking off a bit & a nice round of the flu this past week...gotta get back into it.

Would like to run more outside on the road soon.

PS...Mike, good to hear you are doing well my friend!  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: PrisonHack on May 15, 2014, 08:05:03 AM
If your experience is anything like mine you will notice that you run a lot faster outside than on the treadmill, I'm not sure why that is. All winter I ran on the treadmill 5-6 days a week. I would average 9:30 a mile and that's about all I could get, then the first race I signed up for this season which was an 8K (just a hair under 5 miles) I averaged 8:01 a mile! Of course running in a group with your adrenaline levels raised makes a difference as well.

It was raining here yesterday so I did 10 miles on the mill,getting ready for a law enforcement torch run to benefit special Olympics next Wednesday. It's kind of a relay run where there is a support trailer behind the runners that you can get in and out of to rest. My goal is to try and do the whole run (20 miles) a friend of mine who is running with us regularly does marathons and has done a couple of 50 mile trail runs so he should keep me motivated. Also we will be doing a very slow pace so I am hoping to pull it off.
For sure. Same here. When I run on the treadmill, I really work to avg under a 9 minute mile for 5-6 miles. Yet, I can run a half marathon and avg under a 9min/mile.

Not sure why that is but I asked at the gym and the trainer just nodded and said, it's not the same.

PrisonHack

Whoo just knocked out 20 miles of the Special Olympic Law Enforcement Torch Run across the state. Furthest I have run up till now is a half marathon 13.2 miles. This may give me enough confidence to sign up for a full marathon.

Drache

I run only when I have to:

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

moparsr2fast

I used to run 5 to 6 miles every other day at under 10min/mile pace weighing in around 255 and 47 years of age. Then I got extremely ill, and never got back into it. I could now, but pushing 290, the ambition leaves much to be desired. Working 12 hour days doesn't help either, but I certainly miss it ( except the hill climbs)    :-\
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

Wango Mango

Quote from: PrisonHack on May 13, 2014, 03:34:22 PM
Before sacrificing all my time to a business, about 5 yrs ago, I was addicted to running & triathlons.
40 - 80 miles a week, with speedwork, mountain runs & gym time, it was my main focus (except for the
Mopar craze).  Now, turning 61 next month, I'm determined to get back into 10K shape. No more marathons for me, as the training & distance is too tough on the body. Also, it tanks you immune system when you're doing that kind of mileage. Boston was a blast & that's one marathon you might want to shoot for, but my advice is progress easy, know your body & supplement your running with strength training.  And know when your body needs rest.  Congrats on loosing the weight & building the
fitness that'll benefit you in many ways (as I'm sure you already know that).  And don't feel like a slacker... 4 days a week is fine & you'll get more fitness benefit from a hard 10K than toughing out
the 26.2. 

Tilar

Yeah I do a little running, generally somewhere between the 4th and 5th beer. 
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.