News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For those in California......

Started by 1970Moparmann, May 12, 2014, 07:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

The South Won't Rise Again – at Least Not in California After it Banned the Sale of Confederate Flags

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/05/137238-california-bans-sale-confederate-flag/
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

myk

For the last 20 years I've had to put up with people and their stupid jokes about "when I was going to get the rebel flag painted on the roof" of my Charger.  Just because of this latest example of political correctness and the stupidity that comes with it, AND the fact that it's taking place in California, AND this is yet another example of tramping on Constitutional rights,  I think I WILL put that rebel flag on the Charger's roof.  Southern by the grace of God, indeed.... ::)

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

hawkeye

The joke is on them.  The flag on the Duke's car is a Confederate battle flag (one of many), not the Confederate flag.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

Mike DC

Maybe the southern states should get too offended to sell any more Cali-related merchandise. 

I wonder if it has dawned on those lawmakers in Cali that their own ethnic group originally took that land from someone else? 

draftingmonkey

Hmmm, this could be a lot of hype over nothing. The bill in its original form used the words "A person", but changed it to "State of California". More than likely to avoid 1st Amendment issues.
Bill with strikeouts removed is below. If you want to see the original format go here http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB2444 .  Will be interesting to see how this is really enforced.

AB 2444, as amended, Hall. Confederate flag: sales: government property.

Existing law regulates the sale of certain merchandise, including political items and sports memorabilia.

This bill would prohibit the State of California from selling or displaying the Battle Flag of the Confederacy, or a similar image, or tangible personal property inscribed with those images, unless the image appears in a book that serves an educational or historical purpose.

Bill Text
The people of the State of California do enact as follows:
SECTION 1.
Section 53.5 is added to the Civil Code, to read:
(a) The State of California may not sell or display the Battle Flag of the Confederacy, also referred to as the Stars and Bars, or any similar image, or tangible personal property inscribed with such an image unless the image appears in a book that serves an educational or historical purpose.
(b) For purposes of this section, "sell" means to transfer title or possession, exchange, or barter, conditional or otherwise, in any manner or by any means whatsoever, for consideration. "Transfer possession" includes only transactions that would be found by the State Board of Equalization, for purposes of the Sales and Use Tax Law, to be in lieu of a transfer of title, exchange, or barter.

Ghoste

Nazi stuff is still okay though right?

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on May 12, 2014, 11:15:11 AM
Nazi stuff is still okay though right?

That was a symbol co-opted from it's origins too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

Yes but if I were a California Nazi I would want to know that my battle regalia was still good.

polywideblock

so if you really wanted one couldn't you still just go to the next state over and buy it there   :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

wingcar

Sounds as if nothing has really changed, only the state can't sell, etc, the flag..individuals can if they want......Makes me want to build a DoH Charger....ok maybe not...but I hope more owners of the DoH cars living in Californis will cruise by the state capital....glad I no longer live in the state...."was" a good place to grow up.....but wouldn't want to live there anymore.....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Troy

It really only affects sales by state run outlets any way. Why you would want to overpay for anything is beyond me. It would be interesting to see how many they had actually sold. The bigger issue (to me) is the attempt to rewrite history. One of the places that can't sell it is museums. The funny part is that Mississippi still has it on their state flag so is that covered as well? Although I doubt too many people in California want to buy a Mississippi state flag...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dans 68

Quote from: Troy on May 12, 2014, 03:48:40 PM
Although I doubt too many people in California want to buy a Mississippi state flag...

Troy

Buy a what???   ;)

Dan (livin in the hills of Kalifornia)
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Cooter

The problem imo, is the fact supporters of the southern HERITAGE didn't protest/organize. They just let this happen.
what happens when this is amended to include all residents as well? They just gonna let that happen too?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cudaken

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/gdhs_2269_6964666_zpsedf3575e.gif.html]

Could be used, but change it too Don't Democrat On Me!  

With all the real issues they should be working on why in the heck are they worried about this PS. It is part of are American History, no matter who's side your where on.  

As far as the part of the population that is offended? :scratchchin: there is a reason Calf has cliffs and a ocean.   :poke:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

Politicians usually seem more offended by something like this than anyone else.  With all the GL owners on here, have any of you ever been accused of being racist?  And who decided that flag was a symbol of racism anyway?

Mike DC

GL replicas tend to provoke surprisingly little objection about the flag.  Pretty much everyone who is aware of the TV show reference (the majority) gives it a pass based on that.  White and black, north and south. 

The most common objectors are middle class & wealthy white people who complain that it must be offending black people.  (As if all black people always share the same opinions?  And they cannot speak up for themselves?)

-------------------------------------

In the long run I think the Confederate flag's days of being socially acceptable are numbered.  It probably won't be a safe & widely sold vehicle decoration anymore by 2030 or 2040.  There is just too much tide against it.

Ghoste

What will they use for window coverings in trailer parks?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on May 13, 2014, 05:40:47 AM
What will they use for window coverings in trailer parks?
The Canadian Flag.....

More people of color tend to love the car than white folks. Some white folks I swear, their noses are so far in the air, if it started raining they'd drown.
Cali. Can have my flag when it's pried from my cold dead hands. Bunch a fruitcakes.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

I don't think the Canadakistan one is controversial enough.  Maybe the Kalifornia Peoples Flag?

69white hat

If all the trailer parks had Canadian flags, you could be sure that it would be a very freindly trailer park.

6spd68

Quote from: 69white hat on May 13, 2014, 06:37:14 AM
If all the trailer parks had Canadian flags, you could be sure that it would be a very freindly trailer park.

Or one still divided from that time many years ago when half the park got drunk, and tried to take over the other half.  Resulting in the other half taking over 2/3rds of the park back and burning Burtha's Big White Trailer to the ground  :nana:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."