News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Resister question

Started by keith88, May 12, 2014, 04:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

Have a 69 charger that I just bought someone changed over to electronic ignition.  I am doing a tune up on it and I bought a new coil that comes with a new Ballast resister. But yet i see that the electric ignition comes with one when you buy it as well ,which one should i use the one with the coil or the one that is on it for the ignition?
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

fy469rtse

Keep it simple Keith, use what comes with , you've got the parts , just change them out , keep as set
Your getting a lot done in a short amount of time to this car

keith88

Thanks its been a long time since i had one of these(30yrs) and a lot had changed when i had my 70 they did not have a conversion kit for the ignition. I bought a 2 wire ready to run distributor (procomp) and could not get it to work ..piece of sh--  than realized that i had the conversion kit in it already so im sending the 2 wire back and putting what i had in it back in and buying a tuneup kit for it ,cap rotor ,coil and wires.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Ghoste

Whats the ohm rating of the two resistors?

keith88

I do not know one of them is on the car the other that comes with the coil has not arrived in the mail yet. How can i tell i dont see any marking on the one i have.

Pete in NH

Is the electronic ignition system you are using the stock Chrysler or Mopar Performance Orange box system?

You have to measure the resistance value with a good ohm meter. Most low cost digital meters don't do well measuring such low value resistors. The Orange Box system ballast resistor is 1 to 1.2 ohms. To keep everyone confused none of these resistors are marked as to value.

keith88

It is the orange box system I dont have a meter.

Troy

Electronic ignition uses a different ballast so use that one.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

keith88

So if i need a new one what should i buy? To tell you the truth seeing that i just bought this car and im finding a lot of thing that aint right already it might not hurt to buy another right one now!

A383Wing

is it 4 pin or 5 pin box?

4 pin uses 2 prong resistor, 5 pin uses 4 prong resistor

the resistor just drops voltage to the coil, not the ECU

keith88

Pete in NH

The Orange Box system uses a 1 ohm resistor. I think the Mopar # is P5266436.

keith88

I found a site on the web that gave the part numbers for the pieces used on the kit and it listed this part #2275590 for the resistor,so i ordered another just in case.

keith88

I just found another site that lists your number you posted to now im confused. :scratchchin:

Pete in NH

Chrysler is dropping and changing part numbers left and right these days. You can likely get a ballast resistor at your local auto parts store. You want a 1 to 1.25 ohm 2 pin resistor.

A383Wing

keith88

I already order 1 from online using that number i posted but it did not tell me what the ohm was ill have to see if i can find out.

keith88

Just found out its .8 ohm is it close enough or should i send it back.