News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hood spring

Started by el dub, May 08, 2014, 02:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el dub

Is there supposed to be something on the hood so the spring does not mark it up? thanks. lw
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

ACUDANUT

Not that I have ever seen.  :scratchchin:

72Charger72

My 73 had padding at one time

Ghoste

Sorry, it just contacts metal to metal there el dub.

el dub

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll leave it alone. Now I need to find hood insulation?
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ghoste

Just 6T9 CHGR

I use a rubber body plug cut to fit around the spring to avoid hood paint damage
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Do you have a pic of that Chris?  I think I understand easily enough but it sounds like something I'd like to do myself so...

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on May 10, 2014, 08:48:13 PM
Do you have a pic of that Chris?  I think I understand easily enough but it sounds like something I'd like to do myself so...
Not the best one but you get the idea.

I also glued a body plug to the hood area (to cover up previous damage)...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Perfect, thanks!  (tonights project possibly??)

Dino

Oh good idea!  Maybe I should coat the hook in rubber as well, with my luck on these things...   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Dino on May 11, 2014, 08:09:08 AM
Oh good idea!  Maybe I should coat the hook in rubber as well, with my luck on these things...   :lol:

Nah, I wouldnt.  You want a tight latch with that thing.  Adding a rubber coating might compromise the grip....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Agreed, that secondary latch isn't sometimes referred to as a safety latch for nothing.

Dino

I'm kidding on the latch.   ;)

I only said so because I keep hitting my head on that darn thing.

Ghoste

There are people who temporarily put tennis balls on them for that contingency.  ;)

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on May 11, 2014, 01:08:19 PM
There are people who temporarily put tennis balls on them for that contingency.  ;)

Well I think I need to be one of them because I can't seem to remember that thing is there until I slam my head against it again.   :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

My friend, I do it at least 6 times a year myself.  I fit helps any it seemed to be a lot worse on the fastabck than the 69.  :shruggy:

Hard Charger

I have used adhesive backed clear plastic on spots where there is metal to metal contact such as this. if your careful, it can be installed w/o bubbles.
it is very difficult to see and protects the paint.

1charger69

I dipped the tip in plastikote.....used 3 or 4 applications so it's nice and thick

Ghoste

With black paint though I can probably get away with Chris' idea to use black body plugs. lol

fy469rtse

I put a small piece of vacuum hose to just the little straight top centre of spring, it seems to stop it marking hood

Ghoste

Clever and simple as well.   :yesnod::2thumbs:

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on May 11, 2014, 05:18:56 PM
My friend, I do it at least 6 times a year myself.  I fit helps any it seemed to be a lot worse on the fastabck than the 69.  :shruggy:

Really?  Is it lower?  My car's been on jack stands for so long that I haven't come close to that hook, but once it's back on the ground I should probably wear a helmet.   :icon_smile_big:

bill440rt

I used a plastic cap from an old Kodak 35mm film canister. They are gray, about 1" in diameter. Seemed to do the trick also, fit on the spring perfect.  :yesnod:

The adhesive plastic film also works, look under the hoods/trunks of some newer cars and you'll see them.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Quote from: Dino on May 13, 2014, 06:51:38 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on May 11, 2014, 05:18:56 PM

Really?  Is it lower?  My car's been on jack stands for so long that I haven't come close to that hook, but once it's back on the ground I should probably wear a helmet.   :icon_smile_big:

No idea why, I think just coincidence but it sure did crack me more with the old car.