News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oil dipstick tube install

Started by jdscofield, May 07, 2014, 07:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdscofield

trying to install the correct dipstick tube into my 400.  headers and engine block is making it next to impossible.  has anyone installed one of those Milodon flexible dipstick tubes.  If so, are they just as difficult to install?
MOPAR or no car

cudaken

Quote from: jdscofield on May 07, 2014, 07:27:36 PM
trying to install the correct dipstick tube into my 400.  headers and engine block is making it next to impossible.  has anyone installed one of those Milodon flexible dipstick tubes.  If so, are they just as difficult to install?

What kind of problem are you having? Tube wrong shape, headers hitting the tube or just plain not go into the hole?

On my cars, I lube the tube end with grease, oil or anything I have handed. Move the tube where it is not hitting headers and beat it in with a rubber hammer. Then bend the tube till I can get the bolt in.

Cuda Ken
I am back

jdscofield

Thanks Ken.  I'll try the lube.  the hole is right behind the engine mount and it seems one of the engine mount bolts is in the way.  also, the bend in the tube is hitting the edge of the block.  i've already bent the tube to fit around my headers.  so far, i've only been able to get the tube 1/4'' in
MOPAR or no car

terrible one

In my experience the cheap chrome tubes never install without a fight, is that what you are using or is it an original?

I have heard that putting the tube in the freezer for a while before installing helps (and the theory makes sense)

I played hell with mine, and freezing it helped but I still couldn't get it to go all the way. I ended up grinding the chrome off of section that goes into the block, then it went in with 3 taps. With the clearance I had it was easiest for me to use a piece of wood wrapped in a microfiber to knock it in from the top (dipstick removed from tube). Hope that helps!

John_Kunkel

A 3/8" crowsfoot wrench on the end of a long 3/8" extension against the flange at the bottom of the tube.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: terrible one on May 08, 2014, 09:51:13 AM
In my experience the cheap chrome tubes never install without a fight, is that what you are using or is it an original?

I have heard that putting the tube in the freezer for a while before installing helps (and the theory makes sense)

I played hell with mine, and freezing it helped but I still couldn't get it to go all the way. I ended up grinding the chrome off of section that goes into the block, then it went in with 3 taps. With the clearance I had it was easiest for me to use a piece of wood wrapped in a microfiber to knock it in from the top (dipstick removed from tube). Hope that helps!

That's what I have done in the past.  I also used a 3/8 wrench and a long bar. I had someone hold it, while I hammered it in.  :cheers:

jdscofield

Okay, this dipstick tube installation is really irritating me.  i ordered the correct one, can't get it in.  tried everything you all suggested and all i achieved was mangling the tip of the tube.  So i bought a milodon flexible dipstick tube and the knuckle above the insert end is to fat to get past the motor mount.  Why did Chrysler put the dipstick hole in the most inconvenient spot on the block.  the guy who thought that was a good spot needs to be slapped.  It appears i'm going to have to remove the motor mount bolt and lift the engine about an inch to get the insert end past the motor mount.  Can anyone tell me if i do this, will this cause any damage to the engine or transmission if i leave them connected?  can i just remove the drivers side motor mount bolt or should i do both?  I really need to get this dipstick tube installed.
MOPAR or no car

cudaken

Lifting it a inch will not hurt a thing.

Good luck, Cuda Ken
I am back

70-500-SE-EXPORT

I had the same problem with mine. Bought two different brands both didn't fit. I fought them forever and couldn't get either one in. I had to take a file and evenly file the outside diameter to the correct size. I found The outside diameter was .025 larger than the hole in the block so no amount of force would make it fit. The chrome wasn't easy to file off. It amazes me they sell such poor fitting parts. Just make sure you file a little at a time and keep test fitting. i used some liquid thread sealer on it when it finally fit and haven't had any leaks.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 08, 2014, 03:06:54 PM
Quote from: terrible one on May 08, 2014, 09:51:13 AM

That's what I have done in the past.  I also used a 3/8 wrench and a long bar. I had someone hold it, while I hammered it in.  :cheers:
When hammering it in, hammer the wrench and not the end of the tube.  Also, did you grind or file the end going into the block ?

dstryr

Emery cloth is your friend for tight dipstick tubes.
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

jdscofield

When hammering it in, hammer the wrench and not the end of the tube.  Also, did you grind or file the end going into the block ?
[/quote]

i sanded of the chrome with my dremmel.  then slowly continued to sand it trying to get it to fit
MOPAR or no car

suburbanfireman

:brickwall:

I'm in the same boat.  The shop that built my engine put a gray gommet-looking thing in the dipstick / tube hole with a bolt through the center.  I know this is a dumb question, but I'm supposed to leave the gray grommet in the block?  I assume it is what keeps the oil from leaking around the tube?  It's been a couple of years since the tear down - I don't remember what I had in it originally.  I have the MOPAR chrome dipstick, and it does not seem to fit.  Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

suburbanfireman

Never mind about my last question.  I'm an idiot - it wasn't a grommet.   :scratchchin: It was just left-over silicone that the engine builder smeared all over the bolt before he used it to seal the oil-dipstick hole.  I don't know if this helps, but I used the MOPAR chrome dipstick.  I put the dipstick it in the freezer (as suggested in an earlier post), and then tapped it down with a hammer and a phillips-head screwdriver that I slid into the top of the hollow tube.  I lifted the screwdriver handle slightly, so that it acted as a slide-hammer when I struck it with my hammer.  I'm not sure if I'm accurately communicating what I did - but it worked!  I only hit it about 7 times and it is set in place.  I didn't even need to sand off chrome.  I hope my post helps.   :cheers:
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

ACUDANUT

Sounds like it worked for you.  :cheers: