News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bob Villa question

Started by derailed, March 13, 2006, 06:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derailed

Question for the handy homeowner guys here. Ive replaced all the interior doors in my house with 6 panel clear pine doors with a golden pecan finish and im trimming them out with oak casing and oak base floor trim. I was thinking of buying an HVLP spray gun for shooting the satin Polyurethane on the trim and I was wondering how to thin out the urethane if necessary. Ive done alot by brush and it always came out good but i was thinking this might save time and have a smoother finish. Any suggestions  ???

BLACKWOLF

I WOULDN'T SPRAY URETHANE INSIDE OF THE HOUSE. THE FUMES WILL LINGER FOR WEEKS.
LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

derailed

I will be doing it outside and let it sit for a day or 2

Old Moparz

Not sure about spraying, never did it, but I hope you can store them in a place where dirt, dust, & insects don't stick to the finish while it's drying.

Remember, bug legs don't come off when you pick the body off with tweezers.  ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

PocketThunder

It should say on the can how much to thin it out if any....  I have sprayed it straight thru a airless sprayer but we were back brushing it.  It did come out smooth though after it layed down..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

derailed

Im thinkin ill just stick to the good old foam brushes. I just figured because i have alot of oak trim to finish i would try spraying it. Ive tried the stuff in the aerosaul cans and wasnt real happy with the results. The wood is dry to the touch pretty quickly so bugs arent usually a problem especially this time of year, then i bring it into the garage and let it finish drying and get rid of some of the odor before i put it in the house.

Telvis

You will use a lot more material by spraying. A brush would be less mess and hassle.

dodgecharger-fan

I think I recall Norm Abrams (the real brains behind Vila) once saying that modern finishes like poly are designed to level out after brushing. So there's not a lot of benefit to spraying - except time.

I think that unless you're in a production environment, it's not worth the hassle and wasted material..