News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are the modern reproduction radios worth the price?

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, May 02, 2014, 04:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

I like the look of the stock radio and have an aftermarket unit in the glovebox but am looking to simplify my setup. I have thought about moving the aftermarket pioneer unit into the dash but I'm not sure if I want to go that route. But For the $650 price tag it just doesn't seem worth it for another radio when I have something that works just fine.   

Does anyone have any experiences with the reproduction radios with modern guts from classic industries? Or recommend another setup? All the other places I've seen that modify your radio are about the same price so I would rather go with a brand new unit to make the swap easier. And the classic industries unit is about half the size as well.   

My setup works perfectly so I'm just being picky at this point and checking what options are out there. But it kinda bugs me that it is there just for looks with no function. Maybe I just need to wire the light on it to work so it looks like it does something?  :shruggy:     

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/ar1969.html
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

twodko

I had a Classic Industries repro am/fm radio CD player in another car. I just didn't have enough power to drive 4
modern efficient speaks IMO. When I cranked the volume up the distortion was awful.
Perhaps using an outboard amp would solve this problem........ :shruggy:
Nonetheless I thought it was crappy.

The first choice I'd recommend if you want quality tunes and leave your OEM radio
in place is to buy SecretAudio's SST system. It packs a lot if clean power by itself w/o
an outboard amp. The system is very versatile.......put the head unit in the trunk, under your seat,
comes with a hidden antenna......comes with an iPod cable.......comes Sirius Radio ready
and it comes with all the connection pigtails to add amps or a CD changer.

I have this system and it drives two Polk Audio 5x7's and two 5.5" rounds effortlessly.
I listen to music at a robust volume level and I like pronounced solid bass. The SST is the bomb!

The best part is its $300.00. I'm not a dealer I just think this system is tits.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Dino

$650 for that repro radio is highway robbery.  I could never pay that for what it is.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

Clayton, I had an original radio converted to modern internals by Tayman Electric. http://www.garytayman.com/
It was no way near $650 IIRC. Sound is OK, way better than factory. Probably on par with a radio in a modern day average car. This radio resides in my '68, has an mp3 input, and does the job fine for it's intended purpose.

Problem is there are no line-outs on these conversions, so hooking up an amp(s) & subs and stuff is very difficult. Sound is "OK", but no way near the quality of the SST system as Tom also referenced. This system resides in my '69, and is an awesome unit.
Like yourself, I did not want to hack the dash for an aftermarket head unit. So a "dummy" stock AM thumbwheel radio is in the dash just along for the ride. Maybe someday I'll replace it with a plain radio block off plate.
The control panel for the SST is small enough that you can mount it anywhere, included under the dash. It's thin enough that you could even put it in the sunvisor if you wanted to. Mine resides inside the console out of sight. Head unit is then under the seat, but like Tom said you can mount it in the trunk, glove box, etc.

Check into the SST. Nice unit!  :2thumbs:
http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

I have a repop am/fm in my 68 and it's nice and it works fine I wouldn't buy another and for intended purpose I would not recommend it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Ghoste on May 03, 2014, 08:18:54 AM
Why is it that you wouldn't buy another?
I expected more for the money. It feels very delicate,like I could easily break it by pressing a preset to hard or tuning it with the wheels. And the sound really isn't bad, but not at par with what you would expect for  the 700.00(I bought the speaker too)price tag. On the plus side I think the sound is as good as the ones I've had converted,and the chrome is brand new.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Thanks.  I was considering one myself but expecting vintage quality sound so I was good that way but the fragility issue is another thing altogether.

twodko

What Bill said. I have the small control panel mounted to the bottom of the ash tray using the bracket
it came with. I thinks it's perfect location for me. I don't smoke but the ash tray tilts out normally.

I used a couple small pieces of thin foam double double sided tape to mount the wireless remote
control to the console top just behind the shifter. I can easily reach all the buttons on it without
taking my eyes off the road.

I posted some pictures of my install here recently just can't remember where.  :scratchchin:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

ODZKing

I broke down and spend the buck on on eof the repro radios for my 73. It was a waste of money.   :rotz:
First, I don't like the way it sounds and I put good speakers in. Too much bass or too tinny, I can't get it right ... just not happy. 
Second it has never really worked correctly. One channel sounds different than the other. I even sent back one of the speakers for warranty.  Still the same so I KNOW it is the radio.
I called the guy I bought it from (at Carlisle) he didn't want to know anything. Mike something ... I don't remember right now but he didn't want to be bothered at all.
Eventually he instructed me to call the manufacturer. http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/ in Florida - he treated me like I was an idiot, asking me questions like is it on a station. I do this for a living and I must say it was insulting.  At the end he said take it out and send it back.  Well, I never have because it is a freaking project to get the radio out of that thing.  So I will live with it, but eventually I will put the original AM/FM stereo radio back in and use a FM transmitter to play my MP3 player.
So in sort, not worth the money ... no way!   :eek2:

WHITE AND RED 69

Thanks for all the input fellas!   :cheers:

Sounds like that's a big no on the aftermarket units. I was hoping these new units would wire up perfectly to my existing amp and speakers and sound great. But if they are not a quality product then its not worth the hassle. I think the best thing for me to do is just walk away from this.

I like the secret audio product but I'd just be replacing one hidden unit with another hidden unit, so for me that kinda cancels it out. Also don't want to pull the dash to send out the old radio, I liked the idea of an easy swap and be done in a few hours rather than spending time removing it, waiting weeks for the rebuild, and then the time to re install.

I wish I would have done more research and seen all the options out there before I added the unit in the glovebox, but it is what it is.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

1973rallye

Like everyone else on here states. Huge waste of money. Sound is substandard. I bought a Bose portable speaker for half of what the repro radio cost. That's what I use when I want to listen to tunes. 
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

ODZKing

Well, I've wasted money on stupider things but it stings when you think you are doing a good thing and it turns out you get burned.
Again, I probably could send it back for repair but I will spend all that time yanking the dash apart only to get it back and still be dis-satisfied.
As I said, when it comes out, the original goes back in.

Dino

Live and learn.  In the grand scheme of things it really matters little.  We've all been there.  Some days your the windshield and some days you're the bug. 

With those two gorgeous cars in the stable, I wouldn't worry too much about the expensive radio.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

timmycharger

Had my original 8 track rebuilt and MP3 hookup added. I also had RCA outputs soldered in so I can run an amp like a modern radio. 8 track still sounds like rubbish but at least its louder. Ipod sounds crystal clear  :Twocents:

69white hat

I bought that radio from classic ind. I put it in my car and had to start from scratch cause the car had no speakers or anything. Works great. Sounds great. Best part is I can hook my ipod to it and it looks perfectly original sitting in the dash.  :shruggy:

Hard Charger

Quote from: ODZKing on May 03, 2014, 05:57:09 PM
I broke down and spend the buck on on eof the repro radios for my 73. It was a waste of money.   :rotz:
First, I don't like the way it sounds and I put good speakers in. Too much bass or too tinny, I can't get it right ... just not happy.  
Second it has never really worked correctly. One channel sounds different than the other. I even sent back one of the speakers for warranty.  Still the same so I KNOW it is the radio.
I called the guy I bought it from (at Carlisle) he didn't want to know anything. Mike something ... I don't remember right now but he didn't want to be bothered at all.
Eventually he instructed me to call the manufacturer. http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/ in Florida - he treated me like I was an idiot, asking me questions like is it on a station. I do this for a living and I must say it was insulting.  At the end he said take it out and send it back.  Well, I never have because it is a freaking project to get the radio out of that thing.  So I will live with it, but eventually I will put the original AM/FM stereo radio back in and use a FM transmitter to play my MP3 player.
So in sort, not worth the money ... no way!   :eek2:

I bought a rebuilt radio from Mike at Carlisle also. never did work in the car. Mike didn't seem to care either.

ODZKing

I generally don't like to bash anybody, but if you had issues as well, it should be known.
I believe this is him. If it is not, I will remove it. Again, I do not recommend!

daytona71

If you want to keep the look  of your stock radio,it can be modified to have both am and fm. I have seen and heard these units, great powerful sound.  Check out Larry , his site is  http://www.woodradios.com/