News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first charger....the work begins

Started by upstateholdings, May 05, 2014, 07:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upstateholdings

Hi guys

I have been around cars and had some fun stuff, but have always wanted a charger. It took me moving to FL where i could have a car outside all year, and working on this guy for 6 months to get him to break with this one. I'll get some pics up here and what i'm going to do to it, as well as some questions for the future. Now for what it is (as far as im aware)

1968 Charger 318 #s match, has a 4bbl on it (rebuilt this week when i purchased) and upgraded exhaust, column shift, 2 owner, Factory AC, original panels southern car, apparently daily driven until last summer when the carb acted up on him and he left it to the side. Looks to have some minor rust on a few places. Original vin card, instruction book, and i believe the build sheet is there as well.

I am looking forward to actually having the time and money to follow through with a driveable build, and a thread where i can keep track of all this and share it with the places ive looked for info before.

upstateholdings

This guy really loved his car before i got it !

upstateholdings

Resizing pics to fit

RIDGERACER383

Nice looking car..Nice to see another 68 here.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

upstateholdings

Thanks man - looking forward to it.  One more pic for the night.

timmycharger

Laxy

Cool as, love 'em in a rough driver condition!! Looks great.
71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

cudaken

Up State Holdings, glad you got a 68 Charger! I love the 68 grill.

Are you car savvy can do your own work?  :scratchchin:

The Charger has a lot of rust, and there going to be more rust than you would like. I can see old repairs that I know will be worse than they look now. Luckily you can buy just about every body panel for a 68 Charger that you may / will need.

My big worry for you will be rust in the frame. When I bought my 69 Charger Rusted / Trash the outside body had less rust than yours by a little. This did not bother me, I went to school 2 and a half years to learn body work and over saw  8 body shops. Then the rear frame rusted in half and broke while I was driving. Scared the shit out of me!  :lol:

Back when that happened no one made frame parts, now they do!  :2thumbs: I was able to save the Charger by using used parts.

If you do find rust in the frame either front or rear or both, your dream is not crushed but will take some time to get through the quest. Plus you have us, I did not have this site to go to back then.

Cuda Ken

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/Real%20Cars/rustedframe4.jpg.html]
I am back

MxRacer855

This is awesome!   :cheers: My '68 Charger that I purchased in the summer of last year was due for a few new pieces of metal. It turned into a complete rotisserie resto! I've got a long way to go, so we're in the same boat! Hopefully each or our questions being answered can help the other. ;)

Good luck and I can't wait to see the pics along the way!  :2thumbs:

Jeff

JB400

Welcome to the group :cheers:  Appears to be originally a Y1 gold car  :scope:

MxRacer855

fy469rtse

Quote from: MxRacer855 on May 05, 2014, 09:59:27 PM
This is awesome!   :cheers: My '68 Charger that I purchased in the summer of last year was due for a few new pieces of metal. It turned into a complete rotisserie resto! I've got a long way to go, so we're in the same boat! Hopefully each or our questions being answered can help the other. ;)

Good luck and I can't wait to see the pics along the way!  :2thumbs:

Jeff
start a thread Jeff, photo document your work , its good to look back at it to progress made , and we like pictures lots

1974dodgecharger

looks perfect to me!!!!  Drive the snot out of it now.... :angel:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Back N Black

Ghoste

Congrats on the car and welcome to the group.  :cheers:

upstateholdings

Quote from: cudaken on May 05, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

Are you car savvy can do your own work?  :scratchchin:

The Charger has a lot of rust, and there going to be more rust than you would like. I can see old repairs that I know will be worse than they look now. Luckily you can but just about every body panel for a 68 Charger that you may / will need.

My big worry for you will be rust in the frame. When I bought my 69 Charger Rusted / Trash the outside body had less rust than yours by a little. This did not bother me, I went to school 2 and a half years to learn body work and over saw  8 body shops. Then the rear frame rusted in half and broke while I was driving. Scared the shit out of me!  :lol:

Back when that happened no one made frame parts, now they do!  :2thumbs: I was able to save the Charger by using used parts.

If you do find rust in the frame either front or rear or both, your dream is not crushed but will take some time to get through the quest. Plus you have us, I did not have this site to go to back then.

Cuda Ken

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/Real%20Cars/rustedframe4.jpg.html]

Thanks man, the grill is my favorite with the hideaways that work.
I'm not anticipating anything like what you had to go through, i've gotta some pretty good experience sizing up cars, and know what im getting into.
I won't be doing any of my own work since i live in a condo, but know enough to not get robbed paying someone else !
Gonna have all the rust cut out and replaced with new metal, and put into into a flat black primer for now.

nvrbdn

looks to be pretty complete. nice score. welcome to the group. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

myk

Ask plenty of questions and keep us updated.  What are your long-term plans for the car?

upstateholdings

Quote from: JB400 on May 05, 2014, 11:29:24 PM
Welcome to the group :cheers:  Appears to be originally a Y1 gold car  :scope:

Thanks for all the welcomes guys.
Yea it is in original Y1 car, fender tag is intact and i checked that out. I won't bother going back to gold as i intend to keep it. Undecided on color, but thinking hot rod black, or at least black primer, then i can decide on paint later after metal and prep is all done. It was originally sold to a rod & gun club, they used it to tow their fishing poles and gun trailer around, which explained the hitch ! They owned it until 99 or so when this previous owner bought it. I'll try and get some more pics up later.

Long term - Front disc, metal repair work and flat black primer, some bigger chrome 5 stars, fix the AC, interior - factory or custom undecided,  motor undecided down the road, i want to see how i like driving the car, and how much i dislike 250hp after the last beast i had. Will be looking for opinions on that in a few months.

Homerr

Cool car! 

There are lots of things able to be done while keeping it driveable.  The first thing I did myself on mine was to redo the crinkle finish on the air cleaner and get a new pie tin (engine call-out).  Looks like an afternoon of cleaning the inside would do wonders! 

Welcome and good luck.   :2thumbs:

Lighthorseman

Cool project!   :2thumbs:  I love the buddy seat - wish I had one.

Be sure to keep us updated with lots of pictures...and welcome!

fy469rtse

Quote from: cudaken on May 05, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

Are you car savvy can do your own work?  :scratchchin:

The Charger has a lot of rust, and there going to be more rust than you would like. I can see old repairs that I know will be worse than they look now. Luckily you can buy just about every body panel for a 68 Charger that you may / will need.

My big worry for you will be rust in the frame. When I bought my 69 Charger Rusted / Trash the outside body had less rust than yours by a little. This did not bother me, I went to school 2 and a half years to learn body work and over saw  8 body shops. Then the rear frame rusted in half and broke while I was driving. Scared the shit out of me!  :lol:

Back when that happened no one made frame parts, now they do!  :2thumbs: I was able to save the Charger by using used parts.Ken i think ghoste saw that out the front of your place , and turned that into a car 

Cuda Ken

upstateholdings

;D
I went to go see it today at the Mopar guys place. He was concerned with running gas through the old tank and into the new carb since it's been sitting a year. So since the tank filler neck donut was leaking, we just decided to buy a new tank, sending unit, and run new aluminum 5/16 fuel line, rather then worrying about trying to be there forever cleaning stuff out. That stuff as well as some other goodies should be showing up in a few days, will post pics. Also found the build sheet under the seat ! Its crazy how that's still intact after 46+ years.

What do you guys do with tailights if the chrome around them starts pitting ? Get new ones, take these apart and rechrome, or ?
What about the gas cap surround dish ? He's got a cleaner one then mine for a few bucks, or should i send mine out to get redone ?

Thanks

71_Charger_R/T