News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on rear end case #

Started by troy.70R/T, May 04, 2014, 03:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I am parting out a 67 Coronet. I am useing the drive train for my charger. The rear end in the Coronet is a 742 open 3:23. I have not had time to jack up my Charger and find out what it has. I think it has 3:23's as well but I am not sure of the case # What would a 68 Charger R/T 440 car have came with as far as the Case #? Is the 742 a better case #? Just wondering which one to keep and which one to sell. Thanks

Ghoste

68 should still have a 742 and they are a good case.  Large pinion, shims clutch type limited slip.

troy.70R/T

I do plan on putting 3:91 gears in it later on. Will the center sections inner change? I guess I better Check to see what my Charger has before I sell anything. Thanks John

troy.70R/T

I might also put a spool in it later on down the road. I would like to build a Dana for it someday so I dont want to get to crazy on dumping a lot of money into the 8-3/4 yet.

Ghoste

troy.70R/T

Thanks Ghoste. I read a link somewhere on the specs of the 742 741 and 489 case but I cant find it anymore. I remember one was a tapered pinion and one was bigger but don"t remember much more than that. I went to Moparts but found nothing. Anyone know of a link?

Ghoste

I thought Moparts had a good primer on them?  Maybe I just remember incorrectly but there is also likely some good info on it here someplace and I expect anytime that John Kunkel will jump in and tell you all you could ever imagine. :lol:
The 489 case that came along in 69 has the tapered pinion and many consider it to be the tougher of the two but really in a street car its potato-potahto.

troy.70R/T

Thanks again Ghoste I am goin to look a little more on here. Maybe I missed it on Moparts :shruggy:

troy.70R/T

Thats what I was looking for. Thanks Ghoste.

fy469rtse

Should be 742 's in both , like ghoste said will interchange , look for tags to pig bolts , might give you an insight to what's inside LSD centre , only weak point with 489 , crush sleeve, there's a kit to replace that, but use the 742's

troy.70R/T

Thanks. I was reading on moparts and see thst the 67 coronet rear is a little narrow. I am not sure  but would it boltt up into my charger? I would like a narrower rear so I could fit my 10 inch slotted mags under the car better.

John_Kunkel

The 489 was introduced in mid model year '68 (January 9 to be exact) but only with certain ratios.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

troy.70R/T

Thanks John I am going to check my 68 to see for sure what it has this weekend. I was pretty sure my charger had 3:23's but that was about two years ago when I bought it and checked it at the time.

HPP

I have drag raced all three cases. In my bracket applications on prepared tracks with slicks, I've never hurt any of them, even the maligned 741 set ( which, by the way, is still bigger than some chevy pinions). Did I run them long enough to fail, no, I typically was changing out to another ratio at some point. Would they eventually fail, maybe.

Now if I was putting down more than 400 horses to the tires (in reality, not mathematical) launching above 4500 rpm on big tires, or using a manual trans, I'd definetely go with the Dana. For a basic street cruiser with an auto, any of the three will be fine.

Ghoste

I agree, I'd sooner race a 741 than a 9 inch Ford personally.

troy.70R/T

Thanks for the input HPP. I guess they must hold together otherwise there wouldnt be any left.