News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Intake manifold foam gasket pieces?

Started by 1BAD68, May 04, 2014, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

Wondering if I should use the foam gaskets that come in the gasket kit? (the brown ones in the picture)
A lot of stuff I read so far say they will leak after a little while. Should I just use some RTV instead or maybe both?

Ghoste

You definitely need those ones as they seal the end to the block.  You will want to use some sealer on them though.

John_Kunkel

Most people eliminate the seals and just use a thick bead of RTV.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cudaken

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 04, 2014, 12:51:25 PM

Most people eliminate the seals and just use a thick bead of RTV.

Has worked for me for 40 years. I have never used them and see no reason to start!

Cuda Ken
I am back

A383Wing

a number of people that tried the RTV only option said the gap between intake & block was too large...so the cork gaskets had to be used. I have always used them on engines I put together....

Sublime/Sixpack

I used to use the rubberized cork end gaskets but now I just use a bead of Ultra Black Silicone Sealant.
Just make sure the block and manifold surfaces or super clean and that the bead of sealant is thick enough to fill the space.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak