News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to use on fuel line fitting threads?

Started by Dino, May 03, 2014, 09:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Do I use one of those permatex compounds to seal the threads or are fuel lines assembled dry?  I have the small hard line running from the pump to the separator and the line from the carb to the pump.  The latter has a flare (there other might as well) so I guess nothing needed there, but the carb has an adapter as the nut on the line was too small.  Should I use something on the adapter?

EDIT:  I just checked both hard lines and they are both flared so I'm pretty sure no sealant needed there.  The adapter part that screws into the carb inlet however has no flare so I guess I need some type of liquid sealant.  Does anyone know which works best? 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

I saw your other post on the fuel line Dino. Teflon tape is what I used as it's brass to pot metal.  Don't feel bad I've re routed my fuel lines three times with every change. Right now I have mostly rubber hose all over the place! Keep a close eye on it and when done changing things around you can just make nice steel lines but I'd do that dead last. (I'm making do till I have A/C added also.)  :2thumbs:

ottawamerc

I think teflon is not advised as strands can dislodge on Assembly and cause issues further downstream of the connection, float- needle assembly etc. I would only use liquid teflon Masters is the one I use exclusively for all my connections. Probably get it at any home depot.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

b5blue

The trick is to start the Teflon 2 threads back and pulled tight, just a little like 1 full wrap. Never had a problem.  :scratchchin:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: b5blue on May 03, 2014, 07:25:40 PM
The trick is to start the Teflon 2 threads back and pulled tight, just a little like 1 full wrap. Never had a problem.  :scratchchin:

:iagree:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

A383Wing

if these are 45* flare fittings, use nothing....if it's pipe thread, then you can use tape, but it's generally not needed

Dino

I ended up using Permatex #2 on the pipe thread fitting which is gasoline resistant.  I didn't use anything on the flare fittings.  The line is in place and I have it about 1/4" away from the valve cover.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ottawamerc

Awesome! nicely done bud :2thumbs: Its funny how sometimes the "little" jobs can take days to do like install 24" of 3/8" line but yet you can weld on a quarter panel in hours! :lol:

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

matrout76

Depends on what type of fitting it is:

Pipe threads (NPT)- use a sealant on the threads that is compatible with the fluid inside.

Flare Threads (like brake lines) - use antisieze on the backside of the tube and flare that are inside of the nut, and on the threads on the nut.  do not get any inside of the tube or the flare on the end of the tube.

Compression - use antisieze on the threads but not on the tube, and the backside of the ferrule where the nut spins against it.