News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve cover stud and gasket

Started by Dino, May 03, 2014, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I was a little brute and snapped one of the valve cover studs today.  Luckily after removing the cover there was enough sticking out to grab with the vise grips and remove from the head.  I then noticed there was a small crack in the rubber gasket which caused some oil to drip on the header flange so all in this was not such a bad thing to happen because I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.   :icon_smile_big:

So where can I buy one of these studs and what gasket should I buy?  I have the cheapo chrome covers and I'm not willing to buy new ones just yet.  I need to get the car back on the road and at this point really can't think about esthetics.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

71 SE3834V

The valve cover is held on with a stud? Could you just use a bolt?
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

A383Wing

studs can be bought at any hardware store...most anything after 65 were bolts instead of studs...except Hemi's

John_Kunkel

With the 6-bolt VC's it's nice to have the studs in the lower corners to keep the gasket in place while installing the covers.

I've always been a fan of the rubberized cork gaskets.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I just bought these from Mancini Racing...supposed to work really well with steel VC's havent tried them yet though

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/sucavacoset.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ODZKing

Yep, my 67 has one stud on each head at the very front.
Lowes, believe it or not Dirk.
http://www.lowes.com/Search=stud+hardware?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=stud+hardware#!
If the link doesn't work, just go to Lowes.com and search Hillman Stud Hardware.

71 SE3834V

Lowes doesn't give you the thread pitch in their description. You should be able to match something up at any good hardware store and you could buy as many as you want instead of a 4 or 5 pack which seems pricey. Maybe that's the going rate.
I'll take a quick look and see if I have anything.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Lunger

i use long set screws, you can use an allen wrench to snug them up.

BULL OF THE WOODS