News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can't stop rear brake from dragging

Started by 70-500-SE-EXPORT, May 03, 2014, 06:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70-500-SE-EXPORT

Hi I can't figure out why my passenger rear drum is overheating on my 68 charger. With the wheel off the ground it rotates freely with no drag buy everytime I go for a drive the drum gets extremely hot.  I've tried backing off the adjuster a dozen times to the point it's all the way in. I thought the drum was warped so I replaced the drum three times. I checked run out on the axle to see if its bent and it is not. My parking brake is not the issue I've even disconnected it. It all started when I changed the 10" drums to 11" ones. I installed a used set of 11" backing plates and levers, new wheel cylinders, new drums, shoes, springs and hardware. Any ideas?
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Ghoste

:shruggy:  Some sort of blockage in the distribution block at the rear?

John_Kunkel

If the axle bearing is shot or way loose, the drum will sometimes rotate freely off the ground but change position with the weight of the car on it and contact the shoes. With the drum off pull the axle in/out and up/down to check for excessive play.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Sublime/Sixpack

Export,
I had a very similar experience such as yours on my '68 Coronet recently.
Not sure what the deal is with your set up but here's what I found on mine. It'll sound crazy but I found the problem to be the new Centric brake shoes I installed. The set I installed on the left caused no problem, but the set I installed on the right caused that side to run VERY hot no matter what I did!
With the new shoes on and adjusted properly the right rear drum would run much hotter than the left. Even after I adjusted the right side down ALL THE WAY the right drum would be as much as 80 to 90 degrees hotter than the left after going for an easy 30 mile cruise.

I can go into a lot more detail of what I did to the rear brakes to resolve the issue but the only thing that got the right rear to run at normal temperature was to reinstall the old shoes on that side!  Go Figure!

I will say this, I went through everything rear brake related. Checked axle run out, removed axles and checked and lubed the bearings, new wheel cylinders, checked and cleaned dist. block and lines, switched drums side to side, adjusted parking brake cables so they were slack, etc.

Let us know what you find.

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

BigBlackDodge

Hows the rubber brake from the axle to the rear metal brake line?

BBD

66FBCharger

I had the problem of one rear wheel locking up with the slightest touch of the brakes. It was scary to say the least.
Anyway, what we found was one of the emergency brake cables were stuck and the brakes didn't fully release. It might not be the same as your problem but it is easy enough to check your e brake cables and make sure the are free.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Hard Charger

Quote from: 66FBCharger on May 08, 2014, 11:45:22 AM
I had the problem of one rear wheel locking up with the slightest touch of the brakes. It was scary to say the least.
Anyway, what we found was one of the emergency brake cables were stuck and the brakes didn't fully release. It might not be the same as your problem but it is easy enough to check your e brake cables and make sure the are free.

I agree look closer at the E-brake cables

ACUDANUT

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on May 08, 2014, 08:45:51 AM
Hows the rubber brake from the axle to the rear metal brake line?

BBD

Bingo  :2thumbs:

70-500-SE-EXPORT

Sublime thanks for sharing your experience it sounds exactly like what's going on with mine! I have been tying to troubleshoot this for almost a year now. I have a set of car quest shoes on it and they are probably made by centric. I will replace them with some bendix shoes. To answer the question about the rubber line.. I replaced that when this issue first started and it made no difference. I have backed off the e brake cables all the way to cancel them out. They are not over tightened and not likely the issue. Thanks for all the suggestions.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

Sublime/Sixpack

Export,
I hope the Bendix shoes do the job for you.      I always try to buy quality parts, but it seems these days that can be a crap shoot.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

ACUDANUT

I don't think it was the shoes at all. More like the Emergency brake cable being stuck. (he already replaced the rubber hose). So this is my final answer.  :Twocents: