News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

restoring my chrome bumpers

Started by 71seguy, March 22, 2014, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71seguy

hey guys , so my bumpers are preatty strait ..but they look like they have a film on them and almost a weathered look ..anyone have any tricks to bring the chrome back ? im not sure i wanna spend 700 each getting them rechromed.. im fine with bumpers that look like a driver car ...thanks ..

twodko

Chrome polish has an abrasive component to it, something to keep in mind.

Try this first, use some high quality car wax, Mother's...McQuires etc. Follow the instructions
and use a Mother's sponge ball to polish the wax off.

If this still doesn't bring the shine then use some chrome polish as the label says.
Then follow that up with the wax treatment.

Other members with a lot more experience will chime in..........stand by.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

ODZKing

Unfortunately once that chrome has dulled to a point, all the elbow grease in the world will not bring it back.
I can't believe someone out there isn't more reasonable than that.  I got my 73 front and rear plus bumper guards done for $700.
Sandy's Bumper (local to me). They do great work.
http://www.sandysbumpermart.com/
Might be worth it if you can find reasonable shipping!!!!

NHCharger

Had mine done by Tri-city Plating in Elizabethton, TN. around $325/bumper
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

73rallye440magnum

Post a picture!

0000 Steel wool works great as well as the above methods.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

71seguy

thanks guys ya we tryed alot of that this weekend ...im thinking there too far gone ...sucks guess ill fork out some cash

green69rt

Just an extra thought....

If you are going to pay to have them rechromed, make sure they are straight first.   Mount them up and make sure they fit the way you want.  If not, find a way to bend them to the fit you like, then rechrome.

Cooter

Wow, and pictures of them before they ship out too!! :D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

john108

Don't bother ordering!!!
They showed 4 available on e-bay, I ordered and paid.  Then received an e-mail that they are out of stock and a refund will be made!

71seguy

ya , amd has 68 to 70 ...i have a 71 ...and ya i found a local guy ...he charges 600 ea but that includes fixing the huge gouge in my rear one , making them perfectly strait and giving them a mirror finish ...much better than shipping them out !

bill440rt

For bumpers that size $600/ea doesn't sound that bad at all. Very reasonable.
Hope the quality is good for that price.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Calif240

Tri-city did mine for around $325 or so as well. They turned out great. Be sure to have UPS Store or FedEx store pack yours and insure it. Because they are long, I actually had the box come apart in transit with UPS. Luckily, they had packed it and all, so they wrote me a check for brand-new bumperettes that got lost. I'll use Tri-City for all of my work from here on out though.
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

ACUDANUT

I have used Keystone. Google them. They do chrome bumpers. I have used them about 3-4 times for different Chargers. Very pleased.