News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Myanmar Spitfires

Started by BigBlackDodge, January 07, 2013, 11:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaskan_TA

Interesting to think about it that way. I got some old aviation slides in the mail this week from the 1950s. One of them showed a float plane I had never seen before, so I googled the registration number. One of 23 ever made & only one still exists - http://www.tillamookair.com/1938-bellanca-air-cruiser.html

stripedelete

Dodge Don

To me the Spitfires were the most beautiful fighters...and the sound of those engines is music to my ears.

Here are 16 Spits flying in formation in 2010 at a Battle of Britain anniversary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6c3v9iihgw

At 1:52 you see one of the Canadian ones landing.

polywideblock

It amazes me that so few examples of iconic aircraft survive.     
the us pushed hundreds of mustangs and p38's into the pacific after ww2 , hundreds more broken up with bulldozers  :scratchchin:

the poms and aussies just sold them off

we had/have a fair few merlin engines down here   , they make a real good boat motor   (thunder boats )   they used to race in SA on lake Leake Glencoe   my dad took me a couple of times in the late 60's early 70's

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Bob T

Hijack.... Cool photos Poly, Sir Len Southwards boat Redhead had an Allison? V12 in it out here, it was the first boat in Australasia to crack the ton in 1951  

Good link Don, cheers
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: polywideblock on May 01, 2014, 10:39:48 PM
It amazes me that so few examples of iconic aircraft survive.     
the us pushed hundreds of mustangs and p38's into the pacific after ww2 , hundreds more broken up with bulldozers  :scratchchin:

It doesn't surprise me. If you think the car hobby is expensive...  taking care of vintage aircraft   :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Lord Warlock

Guess you hadn't heard, they found nothing in the dig.  Still a wild goose chase.  Woulda been nice to find them though cool airplanes.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Lord Warlock on May 07, 2014, 03:16:30 PM
Guess you hadn't heard, they found nothing in the dig.  Still a wild goose chase.  Woulda been nice to find them though cool airplanes.

I can only find info on the '13 dig not finding anything.  I see stories on a 2nd dig in Jan of '14 but nothing about results of that?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Lord Warlock

I only knew about the 13 dig, not the 14 one, the one in 13 was a disappointment, maybe they'll have better luck this year.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.