News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mild 440 build planning

Started by 66Charger440, April 21, 2014, 10:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSB67

Quote from: 66Charger440 on April 29, 2014, 08:49:46 PM
BSB67,

What should a realistic short block rebuild consist of and what rough budget would I need to shoot for?

Thanks!

I don't want to guess as most people thing I'm way high.  A few will say I'm low.  I do tend to buy better parts, but I'm no stranger to off-shore out sourced parts either.  Kinda comes back around to an individuals belief as to what is "doing it right".  Also, I try to look at the all in cost that I suspect others don't include.  For me, I see it as the cost difference between doing nothing, and doing the rebuild, which includes all the little stuff that adds up.

Here is an example:
Figure three oil changes with filters, two sets of plugs, new throttle/spring brackets. degreasers, lubricants, misc. nuts, bolts and studs, belts, hoses, fuel and air filters, gauges, misc. gaskets, sealants, paint, hose clamps, antifreeze, thermostat, new sending units..........  It really adds up.  These are not necessarily tied to the building of the short block, but these things will likely be purchased along the way.  Buy the way, how's you radiator?,  drive shaft? Sure grip?  You see my point.

Second, there is always mission creep.  If you have not already thought it,  you will:  Stroke it.  Or, for a couple more bucks I can get Diamond pistons, and they weight 70 grams less, or, file fit rings might be better,.... as examples.  All of those nice packaged kits are a good value, but your "doing it right" might reveal that the kits do not have all of the parts you want, or may include parts you don't want.

I think a lot of people step into this and become overwhelmed financially, project drags on, time passes, interest fade, life changes.  This is why I recommend a stepped approach, keep the fun meter on high and the car on the road as much as possible.

I have a spreadsheet around here somewhere.  If I find it, I'll send it to you.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

fy469rtse

Good advice , keep us updated on your fixes, and the differences it makes
We like photos

66Charger440

I tried to post some pictures.  They were too large.  Any advice besides make them smaller?  ;D