News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gear Vendor's shorty tailshaft?

Started by charger496, April 29, 2014, 03:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger496

I know Gear Vendor's threads are plentiful here, but I haven't seen anyone writing about putting in a "shorty" tailshaft section with the overdrive kit. I've got a couple reasons I'm considering this. First and foremost, with a shorty I can use my current TTI 3" x pipe. I love the sound with the x pipe, and I'm worried I won't like the H pipe as much. Also it gives up a bit of horsepower over the x. Nominal, but power is power. Second, is more room for a longer driveshaft with the shorter tail for less concern about the funky angles that everyone seems to fight. Third is the fact that the shorter tail is about 5 pounds lighter than the long one. Every pound counts. Plain and simple. The GV tech told me he's only sold a few short ones for B bodies, and the long shaft wont have an impact on DS angle over the short one. He also said I'd have to hammer the floor out more with the shorty. The long one only needs a few dimples hammered in. So there ya go. Anyone have any insight into my situation? I've already placed my order, but if I decide soon to go with the shorty, I'll bet I can get to them before they get going on it. I may as well put a hold on it for a day or so to get more input...

charger496

Oh, it's a '71 Charger 496 stroker 727 tranny.