News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 rear carrier set up

Started by Lorence, April 19, 2014, 07:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorence

I pulled the carrier from my rear end.  8 3/4 741 case with 3.23 gears.  I'm going to replace the ring and pinion with 3.55 gears.  First is there a brand I should go with over another as far as strength and quality? And also is there a spec for lash measurement and shim measurement for the pinion?  Is there anything out of the ordinary I need to know that might be helpful?  Thanks for any info.

cdr

for parts DR diff can help,,,as far as setting up gears it takes special tools & knowledge to do it correct  :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lorence

We'll I'm not worried about taking it apart and putting it back together, and I'm not worried about setting the lash.  I just have questions about the shim under the pressed on bearing on the pinion and if I can determine that setting depth because my original pinion dose not have a + or - number on it to help determine setting.   

cdr

this is the tool that i have for the pinion depth,without this tool i would use the shim out of the original pinion & check the pattern with marking compound & go from there.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

fy469rtse

Lorence, your pinion will have shims to it, and you could take exact measurements old pinion to new, will get you close , but as CDR has shown get the correct tool or loan it , the most critical setting

Lorence

Thanks for all the help. I think I can figure it out with some trial and error. However one thing I didn't know was the pinion I ordered was a 29 spline and my yoke is a 10 spline.  Found out new pinions are all 29 splines.  Which sucks cuz now I either have to buy a new yoke which makes my gear swap twice as expensive or wait and hit swap meets for a yoke or 10 spline pinion and ring.  Thanks again.