News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pot metal

Started by el dub, April 26, 2014, 10:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el dub

I was just wondering, can you bend pot metal without it breaking. My map light switch had a broken male connector. I bought a map light on ebay with the intent on just using the switch. So do you think I can bend the tabs holding the switch in without breaking?   
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Cooter

Never had much luck, but you could try heating before you bend.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

I'll be shocked if it works, I've never had any luck bending pot metal either.

twodko

I think your best bet would be to grind those tabs off with a Dremel tool.
Slip the new switch into place an dab a bit of clear Gorilla glue etc on the switch where the tabs
used to be. :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

sanders7981

Quote from: twodko on April 26, 2014, 11:47:18 AM
Slip the new switch into place an dab a bit of clear Gorilla glue etc on the switch where the tabs

That will work... I tried bending it but the switch, being made of some compressed board, just broke apart.  I was trying to switch out a good unit from scratched up plate to a better conditioned one that didn't have a switch in to.  I tried prying and tapping it with a chisel, but no luck.  Grinding and glueing will meet the requirement with less frustration.

el dub

Quote from: twodko on April 26, 2014, 11:47:18 AM

Thanks twodko, I was thinking of that but I never used gorilla glue before. I was thinking about jb weld as I have a few different kinds of that. 
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

B5 Charger

Never used Gorilla Glue before but two part epoxy seems to work in these type of situations.   :shruggy:

twodko

I've often used regular Super Glue in my wood shop but it's runny and has a short open time.
I bought a little bottle of clear Gorilla glue on an impulse buy at checkout couple years ago.
This stuff has the consistency of Elmer's white glue and several minutes of open time.
I can't tell you the number of times this stuff has come in handy and no mixing.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

71_Charger_R/T

A suggestion if I might....... I don't think you'll have much luck bending the tabs but, You could try to bend the tabs on one side rather than grinding them, when they break off,  slip the switch out from under the tabs on the other side after lifting the broken tab side. Then slip the new one under the tabs in reverse order fashion. That way you still have two original tabs holding the new one and then epoxy or glue the broken tab side.  This way you have a 50 percent better chance of the epoxy or glue not failing.  :Twocents:

B5 Charger

I've used this super glue gel on lots of things.  It's much easier to work with than regular watery/runny super glue.  I don't know how well it would work for your application though.  I still say epoxy would be my 1st choice.

Ghoste

Another vote for epoxy here.

fy469rtse

Yep my vote on the epoxy too,
Also on the switch , new one ? So went in to a electonics store , cheap sealed switch, looks and functions the same through bezel , was epoxy ing it in anyway , the square part of it sat right in between the area of tabs , basically radio controlled car on off switch,
Cheap fix instead of the endless search for the dash light switch new old stock, allowed me to re chrome bezel without worrying about damaging original switch, which I did getting it out anyway

six-tee-nine

I once used a 2K style metal glue.
Someone told me to try it. I had the "yeah riiiiiiight" idea when using it since it was a tab on a radiator to hold it down.

I'm still amazed every time I look at that part, since it's still in place. that stuff is as hard as glass and strong like you wont know.

Certainly worth a try.
buy a quality brand like Loc-Tite and you'll succeed for sure
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...