News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

97 5.9 magnum in my 70?

Started by 70/I6 charger, April 24, 2014, 08:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70/I6 charger

As you guys know I have an original i6 charger. After getting it running again, it has some serious lack of power issues. A Yugo blew my doors off the other day (i cried). I have a chance of buying a rolled 97 1500 2wd dodge truck that only has 97k on the clock for only $500. If I do the swap How do I go about keeping the FI and system management intact and installed into my car?   Any idea of what it would take?  help me out guys! 

70/I6 charger

I was also planning on using the OD trans also. I am sure one of you guys have done this already and can help me out on it.

Kern Dog

This sort of swap is NOT for a first-timer. The OD trans requires cutting and welding of the transmission tunnel. The Fuel injection from the truck requires extensive knowledge of wiring diagrams, plus you'd need to modify the fuel tank.
Pulling the slanty and swapping in a 360 and a 904 or 727 isn't difficult.

cudaken

Quote from: 70/I6  charger on April 24, 2014, 08:10:05 PM
. A Yugo blew my doors off the other day (i cried).

You saw a real running Yugo!  :o

Cuda Ken
I am back

c00nhunterjoe

For $500 its a steal. If you are handy with mechanics then go for it but like said above, if you are not mechancily inclined, stick with a carb

70 sublime

Could he pull the intake off and put a carb 4 barrel intake on the motor and forget about all the wiring ????
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

SRT-440

Other than the trans tunnel mods you'll have to have the fuel system upgraded (obviously) but another thing is the PCM will need to be flashed with a new tune...otherwise you'll be throwing all kinds of codes since ur car doesn't have ABS, security..ect.
You could call Street and Performance in Mena Arkansas and they specialize in these kinds of swaps and can supply u with the harness as well.

It can be done...just takes dolla bills yo! LOL
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Cooter

It ain't gonna get any more mpg with F.I. or carb. So keep it simple.
btw,  you do realize the roller cam in that engine has lift AT THE VALVES in the .390-.404 range right??

Not a real performer.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 70/I6  charger on April 24, 2014, 08:15:46 PM
I was also planning on using the OD trans also. I am sure one of you guys have done this already and can help me out on it.

The '97 trans is electronic, not suitable for retrofit in older cars. You need a '95 or earlier.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

twenty mike mike

ACUDANUT

70/I6 charger

Quote from: Cooter on April 25, 2014, 11:46:57 AM
It ain't gonna get any more mpg with F.I. or carb. So keep it simple.
btw,  you do realize the roller cam in that engine has lift AT THE VALVES in the .390-.404 range right??

Not a real performer.

I feel the 5.9 will best the 225 I6 powerwise. AND YES an old ugly ass Yugo blew my doors off at a stop light. I can not have that happen again EVER.

I have enough mechanical skills to get me into trouble. I have done clutches suspension rebuilds , trany, motor swaps and what not but it was oem to oem and all on fords I have zero exp with dodge products. I know I'm late to the game, but it is what it is. Id like to swap the whole drive train from the truck over to the car. Most of the added monitors from the OBD2 could be bypassed or fooled with resistors of some sorts. Luckily my Dad is an electrical engineer. He knows how to read schematics and what not but he is getting old and not quick enough for me to get things done in a timely manner.

Can any one give me some sort of a parts list I would need to swap a 6 cyl to an old 360. That would give me a better idea on how to proceed with the swap, as I have read that the 5.9 is an improved 360.  I keep hearing about k frame and what not.

Kern Dog

The 70 model cars came with 1 of 3 K members: Slant six, Regular V8 and Hemi. To do the swap you'd need the V8 K member OR a set of conversion mounts. I'm not sure if Schumacher makes them or not.

The exhaust is actually an easy one. Almost any manifold from an A/B/C or E will fit. Headers have decent clearance too. Fitting a 318 or 360 in there is easy.
As stated, the truck OD trans requires cutting and welding to fit in the car. It may also need a computer to control the functions. The expense and effort to make that trans work may never pay off. The 1.5 to 2 mpg difference from OD to non OD isn't too impressive. Keep in mind that this trans is also heavier than any 904 or 727 and takes MORE HP to run.
A stock 360 or a 5.9 magnum with a 4 barrel will be simple, reliable and if you have tuning skills, will make decent fuel economy compared to the fuel injection. A ThermoQuad is hard to beat for good street manners. The factory didn't switch to EFI for power, they did it for economy and to reduce emissions.
Ever heard of an A-999 trans? They are the actual # for the A-904 trans with lockup converters and lower first and second gears. Ma Mopar went a different route in the 80s. While GM and Ford went with the OD trans route, Chrysler reconfigured the ratios in the 904 trans. Traditionally they had a 2.45, 1.45, 1.0 ratio for 1st, 2nd and drive.  Cars that had the A-999 trans (While identical in almost every other way) had a 2.75, 1.75. 1.0 ratio and a reduced axle ratio. This meant that in 3rd/drive, the engine RPMs were still reduced like they would be with a 4th OD gear. My point? Run a 360/5.9 and an A-999 trans. This will give you a bit more punch out of the hole. Your car likely has a 2.71 gear 8 1/4" axle. This would make a decent setup.

John_Kunkel

The A-999 trans was introduced in '74, lockup converters didn't arrive until '78 and the low gearset didn't arrive until '80.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Troy

A slant six Charger was never meant to be a performance car. You can modify them a bit but a Charger is still heavy!

The Magnum swap has been covered several times. If you swap everything (engine, trans, wiring, ECU, etc.) it can work without a lot of hassle. Remove the transmission and you have issues. Any meddling with stock will require a computer reflash which is expensive and a pain in the butt. As mentioned, the transmission will fit - but will most likely require cutting up your floor. You'll definitely need a new cross member. A much simpler approach is to stick an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap (or Crosswinds copy) intake on it with a carburetor and a good set of headers in front of an early 70s small block 727 transmission (the 904 could be build to hold the power but the 727 will do it without modification). The intake and headers will really "wake up" the engine but you can also get a reground cam - or one of the Hughes Whiplash versions - for even more performance from the stock package. Since the engine is designed for EFI there's no provision for a mechanical fuel pump. However, other then the heads and a few small things, it's essentially the same as the older LA engines so the front cover and all accessories will bolt on. You'll need either a "cam eccentric" (Hughes, about $20) or a new cam for the mechanical pump to work. This will have the residual effect of making the car look more like it would have from the factory. Or just wire in an electric and keep the serpentine belt setup from the Magnum.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70/I6 charger

That is some great information!! Thank you. So if I got an intake to set up carberation, How would I set up the ignition. I haven't even popped the hood of a late model 5.9. does it have a distibuter still?

Kern Dog

The ignition can revert back to a standard points distributor of a simple conversion to a Mopar factory electronic system. For a bit hotter spark you could add an MSD setup.

Troy

Just use an LA distributor (Mopar electronic ignition kit will work).

I found this site a while back and it has a lot of good info all in one place. Not so much specific toward our cars (exhaust and transmission fitment for example) but easier than me typing:
http://www.magnumswap.com/

FYI - Magnums will accept LA headers and they make those that fit our cars. Simple and easy.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70/I6 charger

Quote from: Troy on April 28, 2014, 03:06:46 PM

I found this site a while back and it has a lot of good info all in one place. Not so much specific toward our cars (exhaust and transmission fitment for example) but easier than me typing:

FYI - Magnums will accept LA headers and they make those that fit our cars. Simple and easy.

Troy

That is what I was looking for, it has tons of great info ! thank you for the link!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Troy on April 28, 2014, 03:06:46 PM

Troy

LA, as in a the old slant 6 ? Sorry, I only speak BB.

Kern Dog

LA is the letter designation for the LIGHT A series of small block engines built from 1964 to 1992. The Poly was the A series.

ACUDANUT

Cooter

There's a little LA 416 here runs in the high 6's with no power adders that you could try and explain that to...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

Hey Little, ass can be a Fast ass.  :Twocents: :2thumbs: