News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

E15 revisited

Started by Ghoste, April 24, 2014, 06:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Bull had posted a warning about this stuff two years ago urging everyone to write Congress but they found a way to go around Congress and push it through by just having the EPA mandate it into existence.  So get ready for crappier fuel because its about to hit the pumps.
So much for checks and balances and letting the people have a voice.

el dub

Maybe we ought to go back to natural law.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

66FBCharger

I'm worried about this fuel. It is going to ruin lawn mowers, snow blowers and all but the newest cars.
Are there any additives to help minimize the potential damage this "fuel" can cause?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Aero426

Have not heard anything about E15 happening in the Milwaukee area for over a year or so now.     We are mandated by the EPA as a problem area as we are upstream from Chicago.     Sounds like when it arrives, it will sneak in quietly.

I thought that E10 was still going to be available alongside E15 (at a price premium I am sure  ;)).   Sounds like the way they do it is to blend the higher concentration of ethanol right at the pump.  Which means the station must invest in new technology pumps.   In Minnesota, there are technology grants available by the Corn Growers Assn and Dept of Agriculture to help offset the costs. 

Ghoste

My understanding also is that there will be blender pumps and a higher priced "better" fuel.

68X426

Here's an article yesterday on this very subject.  Seems that "they" and "we" are fighting back, with success.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/epa-admits-negative-effects-of-e15-fuel-helps-ama-fight-back-80353.html

In California it's called E85, instead of E15.  Just a better way for marketing the screw.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

It would sure be nice to win one for a change. 

cdr

Quote from: 68X426 on April 24, 2014, 01:24:28 PM

Here's an article yesterday on this very subject.  Seems that "they" and "we" are fighting back, with success.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/epa-admits-negative-effects-of-e15-fuel-helps-ama-fight-back-80353.html

In California it's called E85, instead of E15.  Just a better way for marketing the screw.

e85 is 85 % alky...e15 is 15% alky
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Ghoste on April 24, 2014, 12:28:41 PM
My understanding also is that there will be blender pumps and a higher priced "better" fuel.

Sunoco  used to have a blender system in their pumps back in the 50s-60s, 190 was the cheap regular and 260 was the good stuff with 2 or 3 other numbers in between and yes there was a difference but I couldn't tell you what the octane was.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Ghoste

Yeah, they had the blender pumps around here up until the 80's at the Sunoco stations.  Haven't seen one on since then that I can think of though.

6spd68

Quote from: Ghoste on April 30, 2014, 02:29:31 PM
Yeah, they had the blender pumps around here up until the 80's at the Sunoco stations.  Haven't seen one on since then that I can think of though.

It was a sad day for me when our Sunocos got converted to Petro-Canadas...   :icon_smile_dissapprove:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Ghoste

6spd68

Was it not a better experience from start to finish? 

1) Always a couple cents cheaper
2) Better points system:  Filling up my T-bird with 94, would give me about 1100 Sunoco Points - about 1$ in gas back, VS Petro Canada's 600 points that don't even equal to 50 cents at the end of the day
3) Rain-X windshield washer fluid, and a whole slew of better products on the whole
4) CIBC ATM's (Some Petros have'em too) VS Generic Petro Canada ATM
5) The pumps were better...  Debatable I know, but IMPO the Sunoco ones were superior. (AND THEY ALL HAD 94) <= I know Petro is catching up, but eff'em anyway...

ECT... ECT...

I remember stating those facts when I got e-mailed a survey prior to the conversion.  I even went as far as following through on my initial threat to them.  I started using Shell gas and mixing lead...
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

68X426

Quote from: cdr on April 24, 2014, 05:19:18 PM
Quote from: 68X426 on April 24, 2014, 01:24:28 PM

e85 is 85 % alky...e15 is 15% alky

I didn't know that.  Thanks. :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow