News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 Dart Swinger, mean or silly looking?

Started by Drache, April 22, 2014, 11:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

Quote440 auto
engine was built and dyno tuned by K&S machine in Kelowna under 1000 miles
Aluminum heads,comp cam,Keith Black pistons 10.6-1 all parts are new
Moser fabricated rear end 391 posi
Willwood front disc brakes

way too much to list.

$22,500
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

JB400

Outside of the scoop, not a bad looking car.  Now, if it had a blower under that scoop :scratchchin:  Blacked out firewall :P

bakerhillpins

Looks Foose inspired.

Not silly but not my tastes.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

SRT-440

Looks good to me...the scoop doesn't look "bad" just not a fan of anything thats not a blower coming thru the hood. Over all a nice looking dart!  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

tan top

put 15 inch rallye wheels on it ,  take the hood scoop thingy off , & give it a stock type , color repaint , change the steering wheel  :P   :scratchchin: :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Kern Dog

A black engine bay ruins it. It seems to me that if someone goes to the trouble to restore a car AND do an engine swap, they must have taken short cuts elsewhere if they skipped repainting the engine bay.

Mytur Binsdirti

Cooter

I can't understand big wheels and rubber band tires with all that torque. Never gonna hook even around curves, but I guess that m usta been why the older guys laughed at my 67 with air shocks and big block too.

Not my thing. Two tone belongs on Suburbans.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Drache

Quote from: Cooter on April 22, 2014, 02:49:38 PM
I can't understand big wheels and rubber band tires with all that torque.

I will agree with that. 18" tires on these cars just don't work.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

cudaken

Does not do a thing for me! Well it does one thing!  :puke:

Repaint, dump the Chevy Air Cleaner Blower want to be and give the wheels back to the 75 Caprice they came from with some work it would be OK.
I am back

Drache

Quote from: cudaken on April 22, 2014, 05:52:55 PM

Does not do a thing for me! Well it does one thing!  :puke:

Repaint, dump the Chevy Air Cleaner Blower want to be and give the wheels back to the 75 Caprice they came from with some work it would be OK.

I dont mind the paint. Too many plain jane looking cars  :icon_smile_big:

Wheels would be gone instantly, back to 15's.

As for the air cleaner, it's different although a hood with a proper scoop is needed.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

1974dodgecharger

sits too high for big rims, two tone paint not my liking, black engine bay who cares you know all you old dudes did the same damn thing back in the 60s and 70s can care not to admit it, among those things I would buy it for 5k if I had the cash.  :icon_smile_big:

Drache

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 22, 2014, 09:29:53 PM
sits too high for big rims, two tone paint not my liking, black engine bay who cares you know all you old dudes did the same damn thing back in the 60s and 70s can care not to admit it, among those things I would buy it for 5k if I had the cash.  :icon_smile_big:

Well Im gonna go look at it. Like I said before if the car is in really good shape then I'll make an offer of $18,000, throw out those nasty tall wheels and get a hood with a scoop.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

DadsCharger00

Quote from: Drache on April 22, 2014, 09:36:33 PM

Well Im gonna go look at it. Like I said before if the car is in really good shape then I'll make an offer of $18,000, throw out those nasty tall wheels and get a hood with a scoop.

So I'm confused....what kind of car do you want Drache? It's a dart one day, a charger another day....are you just wanting a car in general? I mean, all the power to ya no matter your choice....but just confused I guess

Drache

Quote from: DadsCharger00 on April 22, 2014, 09:44:37 PM
So I'm confused....what kind of car do you want Drache? It's a dart one day, a charger another day....are you just wanting a car in general? I mean, all the power to ya no matter your choice....but just confused I guess

I was looking for a new mopar simple as that. Something that didn't need "restoration" or major work.

That '70 Charger was not worth the $30,000 sad to say. And the only reason I might have spent that much was because it was a Charger, otherwise my budget was only supposed to be $20,000.

This car I should be able to pick up "cheaper" than everything else I've look at and fills all the needs of something I'll enjoy:
Big Block
Suregrip
Buckets
Floor Shift Automatic
Doesn't need any body work
Doesn't need any electrical work
Even has a modern stereo

This Dart looks like a car that will capture people's eye at a car show because it is different than all the stock looking cars there.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

crj1968

340 Darts Dusters Demons look best just how they came off the showroom floor, in my expert opinion   :icon_smile_big:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Drache on April 22, 2014, 09:36:33 PM
sits too high for big rims, two tone paint not my liking, black engine bay who cares you know all you old dudes did the same damn thing back in the 60s and 70s can care not to admit it, among those things I would buy it for 5k if I had the cash.  :icon_smile_big:

drache,
I hope your being sarcastic about the 18k, seriously we can all at least agree on here 100% as forum members its not a 18k car.  MAX on a sunny day 8k car....
My car has the same rims....

myk

Some people on this board act like they've never seen 'resto-mod work before.   ::)

That car needs to be lowered.  Other than that it looks alright...

Drache

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 23, 2014, 02:07:30 AM
drache,
I hope your being sarcastic about the 18k, seriously we can all at least agree on here 100% as forum members its not a 18k car.  MAX on a sunny day 8k car....

I think you're the one being sarcastic  :nana:

The engine, rear end, end front disc brake kit would be worth $8k.

I got $7k for my '67 Dart GT that needed a restoration.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Paul G

Quote from: myk on April 23, 2014, 03:14:03 AM
Some people on this board act like they've never seen 'resto-mod work before.   ::)

That car needs to be lowered.  Other than that it looks alright...

I agree. Although I like that car just the way it sits. I am not a stock type person. I am glad others restore to stock, it preserves the original look. Just not for me. I like changing things. Making an old relic perform more like a modern car. Price, is what someone is willing to pay. You can't build that car for $18k. Some people have no clue what it costs to build a car.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Drache

Quote from: Paul G on April 23, 2014, 08:49:43 AM
Quote from: myk on April 23, 2014, 03:14:03 AM
Some people on this board act like they've never seen 'resto-mod work before.   ::)

That car needs to be lowered.  Other than that it looks alright...

I agree. Although I like that car just the way it sits. I am not a stock type person. I am glad others restore to stock, it preserves the original look. Just not for me. I like changing things. Making an old relic perform more like a modern car. Price, is what someone is willing to pay. You can't build that car for $18k. Some people have no clue what it costs to build a car.

I have a feeling if the car had 15" wheels and a solid color paint job most wouldn't have a problem with the car  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Challenger340

only my opinion.... but aptly parked beside the Dumpsters as it should be
Only wimps wear Bowties !

JB400

If you do get it, put the 68 Hemi dart hoodscoop on it. :yesnod:

Drache

Quote from: JB400 on April 23, 2014, 10:29:00 AM
If you do get it, put the 68 Hemi dart hoodscoop on it. :yesnod:

I was thinking the 6 pack scoop might look slightly better than the Hemi  :scratchchin:

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

JB400

Choosing the Hemi hood scoop, you could paint it black, silver, or the red and have it look like it was designed for it.  Choosing the 6 Pack, you'd just about have to paint it the red.  It could look like a cheap add on afterthought if you painted it black or silver, unless maybe making it into a Shaker setup :scratchchin: instead of bolting it into the hood.

1974dodgecharger

I still say no no matter what he has in it brakes stuff I can do easy peezy.  If he had a hemi under there sure....then 18k take my money.

Quote from: Drache on April 23, 2014, 08:42:13 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 23, 2014, 02:07:30 AM
drache,

I think you're the one being sarcastic  :nana:

The engine, rear end, end front disc brake kit would be worth $8k.

I got $7k for my '67 Dart GT that needed a restoration.

polywideblock

why does everybody overlook one of the nicest scoops to ever come out of mopar    :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Ghoste

I always preferred the separated twin scoops on those cars myself.

Drache

Quote from: polywideblock on April 24, 2014, 04:10:12 AM
why does everybody overlook one of the nicest scoops to ever come out of mopar    :scratchchin:

Not sure that scoop would be tall enough to go over the intake  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

polywideblock

tan top

Quote from: polywideblock on April 24, 2014, 04:10:12 AM

:coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

SRT-440

My '71 has a flat black 6-pak lift off hood...looks great..doesn't look unfinished. The Superbee's and the Hemi Darts had the same treatment. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Drache

Slowly making my way south to go look at it tomorrow.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Paul G

Good luck with the negotiation. I hope you take it home.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Drache

Quote from: Paul G on April 24, 2014, 06:59:54 PM
Good luck with the negotiation. I hope you take it home.

Seems the car is well known and the owner is also well known for the body work he does on cars in his city.

That can be a good sign.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

So I got the car for $18,000. The car is structurally sound. The wheels on the car are worth about $440 each plus the tires which are $300 each so I'll sell those to buy the 15" wheels for that car.

The car has a LOT of power and I love it. I couldnt stop for gas or food without someone running up to ask a bunch of questions.

The owner gave me receipts for every part or work done to the car. $6,800 for the motor if I remember reading the receipt properly, $3,200 for the rear end, list goes on.

It's a pleasure to drive until you have to gas that damn thing up with premium  :rofl:

The 18" wheels dont look as bad in person as it does in the pictures but they will go. I'm loving everything else about the car, including the paint. It's not a show car, it's a really nice driver. I even love the B&M ratchet shifter  :nana:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

JB400

polywideblock

:woohoo:   :cheers:    now you are gonna have to make that choice about hood scoops    :scratchchin:

Drache

First step is to get rid of the low profiles and the 18" wheels
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Lighthorseman

Congrats, Drache.   :cheers:  Make sure you post updates...with pictures!   :2thumbs:

Drache

Few hiccups. The speedometer decided to quit. The guy said he replaced it with a new cable the day before I got there so I'm hoping he didn't tighten it enough at one end. The other is I think the kickdown linkage needs to be tweaked. When you stomp the peddle there is a big one second delay before you get pasted into the seat.

Other than that the gas milage sucks  :2thumbs:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

bill440rt

Congrats!  :cheers:

Doesn't look like a bad car at all.
My  :Twocents: ?
Wheels look good, maybe just lower or change the stance a bit. Find a hood scoop you like to cover up or get rid of the chrome snorkel thing, and lose the tail stripe (it breaks up the flow of the 2-tone paint scheme).

But it's your car, have fun with it!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Drache

Quote from: bill440rt on April 26, 2014, 08:30:39 PM
Congrats!  :cheers:

Doesn't look like a bad car at all.
My  :Twocents: ?
Wheels look good, maybe just lower or change the stance a bit. Find a hood scoop you like to cover up or get rid of the chrome snorkel thing, and lose the tail stripe (it breaks up the flow of the 2-tone paint scheme).

But it's your car, have fun with it!  :2thumbs:

I'll order the tires monday when I take the car to my cousin to figure out the speedometer problem and to help me tweak the kickdown linkage.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

polywideblock

maybe just change the stripes colour , check out Aug. mopar action" rammed dart  " :Twocents:

Drache

Quote from: polywideblock on April 26, 2014, 09:01:21 PM
maybe just change the stripes colour , check out Aug. mopar action" rammed dart  " :Twocents:

Yeah I was talking to the owner of that Dart on FABO  :2thumbs:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

After driving the 5 hours home yesterday I found a Toyota Prius in the grille of my new Dart. I let it go back into the wild but I'm not sure if it will survive in this strange environment so far from home....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ghoste

It would have been more humane to finish it off but then I suppose you could be stuck with the messy environmental hassle of disposing of the toxic carcass.

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Drache on April 27, 2014, 12:05:57 PM
After driving the 5 hours home yesterday I found a Toyota Prius in the grille of my new Dart. I let it go back into the wild but I'm not sure if it will survive in this strange environment so far from home....

What?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Drache

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 27, 2014, 07:44:44 PM
Quote from: Drache on April 27, 2014, 12:05:57 PM

What?

I think the joke went over your head Cody  :nana:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

moparguy01

for the love of God take those stupid eye stickers off that damn scoop. I don't know where the vomit smiley is right now.

The car doesn't look bad for sure, I just hate those scoops. and i hate those stupid stickers worse than I hate those scoops. whats worse is when they put those damned led's in the pupils so it lights up. Just horrible. I think its worse than those stupid kid dolls leaning against cars at the car shows.

Drache

Quote from: moparguy01 on April 27, 2014, 08:30:05 PM
for the love of God take those stupid eye stickers off that damn scoop. I don't know where the vomit smiley is right now.

The car doesn't look bad for sure, I just hate those scoops. and i hate those stupid stickers worse than I hate those scoops. whats worse is when they put those damned led's in the pupils so it lights up. Just horrible. I think its worse than those stupid kid dolls leaning against cars at the car shows.

These ones aren't decals, they are painted right onto the valves
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

cudaken

I am back

Drache

Here is the "dyno" info K&S Machine gave me when I asked about the engine they built.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Lord Warlock

Paint some breasts into the scoop holes then the guys will all like it.  I dislike the scoop through the hood as well, but then again I'm not that fond of darts in general, only one I ever considered getting was a 70 dart swinger that had the two scoops on the hood from the factory, the next door neighbor took me along to look it over before he bought it, was a real 340 swinger with a 4spd.  Think he paid 400 for it, but this was also back in 1980.  He sold it a few years later when his daddy bought him a new celica. 

I'm sure a big block dart would be fun to drive, and not fun to feed.  A bit late to make the silly or mean choice now that you got it.  Enjoy what you have, make it your own, however you see fit, a dart doesn't need to be restored to factory specs, doesn't make them more collectible, they sold a lot of them way back when.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Paul G

Those are some great power numbers. That car has to be a rocket! Hard to keep the tires from breaking loose I would think. I would not change anything too quickly. Get used to the car for a while. I like the scoop and the wheels just the way it sits.

Drache

Quote from: Paul G on April 28, 2014, 08:51:11 AM
Those are some great power numbers. That car has to be a rocket! Hard to keep the tires from breaking loose I would think. I would not change anything too quickly. Get used to the car for a while. I like the scoop and the wheels just the way it sits.

On a wet road this car would be deadly. I punched it yesterday going down the highway and the rear end of the car started going squirrely. Then the tires finally got enough traction and I lost my testicles somewhere just north of town. Still haven't found them.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Baldwinvette77

Sweet, i like it the way it is, wheels and all... I don't love it (no offense) But seriously cool car  :cheers:

RallyeMike

I should have read this more closely - I didnt realize you bought it. Congrats, it looks like a very fun car.  :cheers:

I think the bigger wheels look fine and fit in with the new-school look of the car. It's really not my cup of tea, but if I owned it and was gonna change one thing on it, I'd get rid of the eyeballs on the scoop. It's juts too comical.

Now if you are gonna throw on 15's, by all means, keep the eyeballs, add some fuzzy dice, air shocks, and highjacker decals in the quarter windows.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

I think you're going to have a ball with it Drache.

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 23, 2014, 10:20:54 AM
only my opinion.... but aptly parked beside the Dumpsters as it should be
[/quo

:yesnod:    As is, but could be made into a pretty sweet little A-body
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak