News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What gas do you guys put in your Charger? (I live in Midwest)

Started by indreams84, April 14, 2014, 04:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

I read an article a few years ago in a high-end restoration magazine that looked closely into the potential of valve recession caused by using unleaded fuels in "historic" vehicles. They were mostly interested in Duesenburgs and the like, but the net-net was that unless you're driving a fully loaded truck up a steep hill for endless hours, you're not going to have any problems with using unleaded fuel.  It is, essentially, a non-issue for street use, as far as the mechanical components of the engine are concerned. 

You might be able to make the argument that racing probably requires the use of either lead or a lead-substitute because these folks weren't racing their Cabriolet or Phaeton.

Aero426

A friend has an old Stutz, a higher end classic.   His recent engine rebuild did not get hardened seats.   But as the owner explains,  these old engines don't have the higher valve spring pressures that modern engines do.   His 1969 Firebird 400 on the other hand did get hardened seats.    I guess the point is, that there is no one size fits all answer.   

68pplcharger

69chargerboy

My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

UH60L

I was running regular or plus from Chevron or Shell before the teardown.  Learned the hard way never to put Arco gas in it, had to push it half way home once, wouldn't run.

I was putting lead additive in about every other tank.  Now that it has a rebuilt engine with hardened valve seats, should be ok without it (I've been told...).

MaxE48

98 octane with lead replacement additive in Australia,  runs fine.