News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Analyze the time slips

Started by Paul G, April 13, 2014, 09:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

These are the time slips from the runs I made at MATS. I am car 742D.

The first run) 16.694
What a calamity. Bypassed the water box and did a quick spin to clean the tires. I foot braked and launched at 1500rpm, Since I forgot to air down the rear tires, they had 35# of air, they spun off the line. I let up and since I forgot to start off in first gear the trans shifted to second. I held on and it shifted to third. Kicked it back to second.........

The second run) 15.309
Did a burn out in the water box, Rear tires had 24# of air this time, didnt spin off the line, launched the car at 1500 RPM, shifted manually at 5500 rpm. A little better.   

Third run) 15.033
Water box burn out, launched at 2000rpm shifted at 5000.

Fourth run) 14.931 the best run I had
Same as the third run except I added about 2° of timing.

Fifth run) 14.965
I added a couple more degrees of timing. May have lost power? Or could it be the heat at 3:30 in the afternoon? 

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Paul G

Last time slip
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

c00nhunterjoe

Your 4th run is the best based on your mph. The mph tells you how good your car is, your et tells you how good you are. At 92 mph, the best your car should do is 14.5-14.7 so you are not too far off.

firefighter3931

Hey Paul, did you have fun ?  :icon_smile_big:

It's not as easy as it looks huh ?  ;)

Did you get a chance to weigh the car ?  :scratchchin:

I just checked the density altitude for Vegas at noon and it was at 4200 feet. Correcting for sea level would mean approx 4mph and 4 tenths in ET.

Basicly, at sea level it would have run around 14.53 @ 97mph which is pretty descent for a 360 in a big heavy B-Body  :2thumbs:

The 60ft times could be a bit better... for every tenth you shave off the short time equals two tenths at the big end. If you can get the 60ft down into the 2.0 sec range the ET should drop close to 4 tenths.   :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Paul G

I did not weigh the car. I did empty the trunk though. The car has A/C, PS, PB, stereo with amp in the trunk, etc., it's a street cruiser. I would assume around 4000#, is that close?

Yes I did have fun! I sat with the A/C on waiting to make a run. That was cool. (pun intended)

At the launch the car would take off hard, but not pull really hard till around 3000 rpm. Maybe that had some effect on the 60' times?

Not as easy at it looks at all. Burn out in the box, stop before the lights, (which I tripped the lights one time, official not happy) staging at the tree, watching the lights on the tree and the official at the same time, making sure everything is off one last time, checking all the gauges one last time, seat belt secured, bring up the RPM at the first yellow, watch the tach, man it is so easy to miss the last yellow when you glance away for just a split second. But yes, it was fun. 

Can horse power be calculated from the time slip numbers? 

firefighter3931

Quote from: Paul G on April 14, 2014, 09:09:39 AM
Can horse power be calculated from the time slip numbers? 

Yep, that's why i was asking for a raceweight on your car. ;)

Vegas has scales or at least it should have. It's best to weigh the car with the driver in the seat and all gear that will be used in the car as well.  :yesnod:

I'm pretty sure your car is 4000+ with you in the driver seat and a full tank of fuel.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

resq302

Since I just did this last year, I can attest to how fun (and difficult) it is to actually nail it the first time.  Certainly looks a lot easier than it is, especially when you have a 4 spd.  I'll admit, I got caught up in the excitement and fun and missed a shift!   :brickwall:  Which was about to be my best run too I think, oh well.

I was car number 306.

click on picture to see the actual video someone took of me going down the strip. 

All in all, I hope you had as much fun as the day I did it.  First time in 14 years of me owning my charger that I ever did that.  It was one hell of a rush to say the least!   :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BSB67

Quote from: Paul G on April 13, 2014, 09:30:45 PM
These are the time slips from the runs I made at MATS. I am car 742D.

WELL DONE!!!!

I like it when someone else goes to the track almost as much as when I go.

Stock-ish 360 if I remember correctly??.....those are good times in a small land yacht in those atmospheric conditions.  In real world numbers, you are at, maybe even better than what that car would have done when equipped from the factory with a 400 4bbl engine.  

Net Corrected flywheel hp about 280 at 4000 lb  (verses gross corrected flywheel)

Hope you had fun.  If you go back a couple more times, you'll pick up another tenth or two and maybe a mph just from practice and getting the driving technique better.  If you go back, try different shift points.  Always be sure to collect atmospheric data when you go.

Now, and only now, can you start making WOT tuning and/or other changes that will have any real meaning.

Again, well done and congratulations!

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Paul G

I had a 73 Rallye Charger a few years ago. Some may remember that car on here. It had a 440, 440 source aluminum heads, mild cam. The 72 360 I have now feels just as strong as that low compression 440 in the 73. It is close.

I dynoed the 360 Last year. It made 230 hp, 330 foot pounds at the wheels. Just about right for the numbers it made on the track.

Paul G

I really want to build a bigger engine!

Ghoste

Paul G

I have been testing the waters (wife) for a 505 build. It may be in my future.