News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NOS or aftermarket quarter?

Started by mopar4don, April 11, 2014, 06:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

How can you tell if a quarter panel is NOS, (original from the factory) or aftermarket?
Is there a way to tell the difference?

Mytur Binsdirti

AMD panels are semi-gloss black while originals are either red or gray primer. But the best way to tell (besides the asking price) is that one will look shiney and new and the other will look 40 years old.

mopar4don

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 11, 2014, 06:20:33 PM
AMD panels are semi-gloss black while originals are either red or gray primer. But the best way to tell (besides the asking price) is that one will look shiney and new and the other will look 40 years old.
I know How AMD or any new reproduction would look with the e-coat applied. And I get how if they look old they MIGHT be NOS. But I guess I was wondering if there was a way that you could tell, without a doubt, that a NOS quarter was real? Like maybe a certain marking (like a pentastar logo) or a part number stamped in a certain location?

Aero426

:iagree:
When you see one, you will know.

cdr

hey don the factory ones i have seen are VERY pricey
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

mopar4don

Quote from: Aero426 on April 11, 2014, 08:19:13 PM
:iagree:
When you see one, you will know.
How will I know? I have nothing to compare it to!

mopar4don

Quote from: cdr on April 11, 2014, 08:22:44 PM
hey don the factory ones i have seen are VERY pricey
Yes CDR, your right! I have seen NOS advertised and they are insanely priced!
And unless you have a 1 of 1 hemi charger that elvis owned or something like that, why someone would buy one I have no idea.
But if they were buying one how do they know it is the real deal?

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: mopar4don on April 11, 2014, 08:34:41 PM

How will I know? I have nothing to compare it to!

It's like bolt on man made boobs versus the real McCoy. You know the difference when you "experience" them in person

cdr

but as Don said,,,,is there a part # stamped ????????????????  please,a straight answer.    :slap:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

bill440rt

An NOS quarter will have the part number stamped in white ink on the inside, IF it's still there after all these years.  :yesnod:

But what's to keep an unscrupulous seller from making up his own stamp, and hitting an AMD panel with the shop vac on reverse?  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cdr

mopar4don

Quote from: bill440rt on April 11, 2014, 09:00:39 PM
An NOS quarter will have the part number stamped in white ink on the inside, IF it's still there after all these years.  :yesnod:

But what's to keep an unscrupulous seller from making up his own stamp, and hitting an AMD panel with the shop vac on reverse?  :shruggy:
Kinda like this?
Could it be stamped anywhere inside? Or a certain spot?
Any other id marks Bill?

bill440rt

That is the beginning of the part number, it will be a 7-digit number. Usually it's stamped somewhere on the inside. Maybe a dealer sticker perhaps as well??  :shruggy:
Like Mytur stated, originals will be either gray or red primer (I've seen them sometimes resprayed, as the original primer does not hold up over the years like modern primers).

I haven't installed AMD panels, but have been told they have stamping waves and the like, and the body line is not as "crisp" as originals.
However, NOS panels will surely have storage rash, dents/dings, and everything else that comes with a 40-year old panel.

With most repro parts (key word there is "most", not ALL), there will ALWAYS be a difference when compared to originals. It's the nature of the beast.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar4don

Thanks Bill, that helps a LOT!
What are these things going for? Seems like I've seen them for $1200

73rallye440magnum

So, $350 for a pair would be a pretty good deal then?

:2thumbs:
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

73rallye440magnum

Don- if you aren't going to snag them, post the link so someone from the site can grab them.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

hemi-hampton

Quote from: mopar4don on April 11, 2014, 09:41:09 PM
Thanks Bill, that helps a LOT!
What are these things going for? Seems like I've seen them for $1200

What things? NOS Quarter or AMD or other Aftermarket? I've seen NOS Quarters get as much as $5,000 each. That was before AMD made them. LEON.

Mike DC

AMD's quarters have drawn complaints that the bodylines on the last couple of feet towards the back are wobbly.

Goodmark's quarters are obviously not N.O.S. at all.  Weaker steel material and not full coverage. 

DAY CLONA

Quote from: mopar4don on April 11, 2014, 06:12:12 PM
How can you tell if a quarter panel is NOS, (original from the factory) or aftermarket?
Is there a way to tell the difference?

Original/NOS sheetmetal gauge will be .030 or thinner, repro sheetmetal will run a slightly heavier gauge .040 to .045

mopar4don

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on April 11, 2014, 11:02:07 PM
Don- if you aren't going to snag them, post the link so someone from the site can grab them.

Had to make sure I can't get to these but looks like I can't. Here's maybe a good deal for someone in need of quarter panels. Found quarter panels in Boston. Was told by the woman I spoke to these are originals. By all the responses I've received on here, sounds like they just may be. She's asking 350 for both. I know the value is MUCH more than that, if they are indeed originals. Kills me :brickwall: that I can't get there to check it out but hopefully,
someone can grab a good thing. Let me know if you get to them and if they are indeed originals. Good luck to ya.  :2thumbs:

Here is the link:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/pts/4415093082.html

odcics2

A great deal even with another zero added!    :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

73rallye440magnum

They'll be back on later today with the extra 0.
WTB- 68 or 69 project