News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rooftop selfies, ill pass

Started by chargerman69, April 10, 2014, 10:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman69

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

bakerhillpins

:o

Man, just looking at those pics and I get the heebie jeebies.    :errr:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Old Moparz

I wonder how many of these rooftoppers are now about to be arrested because they posted their faces online?  :lol:

I'll pass on the trespassing & getting a selfie.

Heights are like most other dangers, you just have to respect it, know what you're doing & you'll be safe. The few in the photos that were hanging by fingertips? Not too bright. ::) It wouldn't take much to slip & be able to have your friend post a really cool video of you getting smaller & smaller in the distance.   :lol:

My last job involved land surveying & construction inspections. I liked using the boom with the platform to get up close to a cliff face to get some measurements on the Palisades in NJ. The other thing was a bridge inspection over the East River in NYC. The engineer I was with in the bucket was scared out of his mind. Every time the bucket moved he dropped to his knees & grabbed onto the railing.   :smilielol:

Here's a photo of the actual bridge, The Alexander Hamilton, & a few others of the type of bucket truck we used. It reaches out, down, & under the bridge.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Lord Warlock

Out of their minds.  Goes to show the younger generation with internet selfies should eliminate themselves from the gene pool.  I used to work on offshore oil rigs and dangled 300 feet up working a grinder, but i was over water, also once followed a group of friends who went bridge jumping into water from 50 to 80 feet up (wear shoes and hold nuts as you hit the water) was little risk other than arrest.  Can't imagine hanging by fingertips off of a skyscraper...unless i was wearing a parachute.  Brother was into rock climbing but i thought he was nuts too. 

Just looking at some of those photos makes my stomach twist.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

68pplcharger

Hell the pics are nothing watch the video at the end. Those kids have a death wish for sure.

TruckDriver

Yup, lot of them will die doing that.  :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

ACUDANUT

bill440rt

Quote from: bakerhillpins on April 11, 2014, 07:14:18 AM

Same here. I'm scared to death of heights. I almost puked looking at those pics!  :puke:
I'll keep my feet on the ground, thank you very much.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Must be nice being a parent of one of these, waiting for a call.   :rotz:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Tilar

Quote from: bill440rt on April 11, 2014, 09:12:16 PM

Man, just looking at those pics and I get the heebie jeebies.    :errr:

Same here. I'm scared to death of heights. I almost puked looking at those pics!  :puke:

Same here. When I was a kid I would walk across the roof beams in our barn from one haymow to the other and not think a thing of it, Now I won't even climb the ladder up there let alone try anything like what those kids are doing.   At this point in time, if it's higher than picking corn or lower than digging taters, this old man doesn't need to be doing it.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Mike DC

QuoteOut of their minds.  Goes to show the younger generation with internet selfies should eliminate themselves from the gene pool.  I used to work on offshore oil rigs and dangled 300 feet up working a grinder, but i was over water, also once followed a group of friends who went bridge jumping into water from 50 to 80 feet up (wear shoes and hold nuts as you hit the water) was little risk other than arrest.  Can't imagine hanging by fingertips off of a skyscraper...unless i was wearing a parachute.  Brother was into rock climbing but i thought he was nuts too. 

Risk-taking never goes out of style.  Kids probably start doing stupider things because there are fewer & fewer "normal" times when there is any risk in modern life.  And modern kids in particular, it's pathetic how little risk we formally allow them to take.  A 16yo cannot get into an R-rated movie or buy a can of spray paint. 

(BTW:  falling 300 feet "over water"?  The water might as well be concrete at that height.)

tan top

those  kids are idiots ,  :yesnod:  feel sorry for their parents ,  when & if they fall .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

polywideblock

sure wouldn't be an open casket would it   :scratchchin:

MoParJW

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 13, 2014, 10:07:44 AM
QuoteOut of their minds.  Goes to show the younger generation with internet selfies should eliminate themselves from the gene pool.  I used to work on offshore oil rigs and dangled 300 feet up working a grinder, but i was over water, also once followed a group of friends who went bridge jumping into water from 50 to 80 feet up (wear shoes and hold nuts as you hit the water) was little risk other than arrest.  Can't imagine hanging by fingertips off of a skyscraper...unless i was wearing a parachute.  Brother was into rock climbing but i thought he was nuts too. 

Risk-taking never goes out of style.  Kids probably start doing stupider things because there are fewer & fewer "normal" times when there is any risk in modern life.  And modern kids in particular, it's pathetic how little risk we formally allow them to take.  A 16yo cannot get into an R-rated movie or buy a can of spray paint. 

(BTW:  falling 300 feet "over water"?  The water might as well be concrete at that height.)

I agree... personally I believe a life without risk can drive some people crazy, when the mind starts worrying non-stop about all kinds of potential hazards that will probably never affect them.
Maybe a little risk puts things in perspective, and thats why some people go thrillseeking?

That said, I get sweaty hands just by looking at those pictures  :o, That is a long way down. absolutely crazy.
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

Mike DC

Yeah the vertigo is the buzz.  The taller heights make the climb more difficult.  Time, wind factors, etc. 

But when you think about it, it doesn't really make things any worse once you lose your balance.  Falling 25 feet onto concrete makes you just as dead as falling 300 feet. 

Dino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 14, 2014, 09:43:23 AM

Yeah the vertigo is the buzz.  The taller heights make the climb more difficult.  Time, wind factors, etc. 

But when you think about it, it doesn't really make things any worse once you lose your balance.  Falling 25 feet onto concrete makes you just as dead as falling 300 feet. 

The scream lasts a bit longer though and you're going to need a bigger mop.   :D
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

And here I thought we were stupid for going 140 mph in a 20 year old 69 Dodge Charger back in '89.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RECHRGD

Funny how different things affect different people.  Heights put my balls in my throat.  But in the late '60s I was a commercial hard hat diver and had no problem going to great depths.  I've talked to people over the years that had no problem with heights or sky diving, but could not handle the clostrafobic (sp?) feeling of diving in one of those suits.
13.53 @ 105.32

Lord Warlock

Actually the heights on the oil rigs were closer to 120 to 180 feet, you'd have to be on the helipad to get over 200, but even 150 feet was waaayy up there, but since there isn't much below you, the perspective is deceiving.  The trick to surviving large falls to water is NOT to land flat, but to go in feet first, and you can break your ankles.  We were warned that if we fell to avoid belly flopping or landing on your back, it'll knock the wind out of you and you'll drown before they can reach you.  Its preferable to just avoid falling in altogether.  What i did as a kid, i'd never attempt as an adult. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: bill440rt on April 11, 2014, 09:12:16 PM

Same here. I'm scared to death of heights. I almost puked looking at those pics!  :puke:

"Darwinism will win out eventually"

This will make your palms sweat......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLmabaalX48

polywideblock

over here we have a term "pucker factor "   that was a pucker factor of 10   :scared:   their mad   :yesnod:

myk

Any sky-divers here?  I've gone twice, but somehow that doesn't seem as frightening as those building climbs...