News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 rt 440 fuel filter date code

Started by RT440A833, April 09, 2014, 07:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT440A833

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the correct date code for the fuel filter on my 68 rt 440. The car was built on the 12 of February 1968.
68 Charger RT 440 4speed dana 60 3:54 no.s matching

hemigeno

I don't recall ever seeing a date code on a Vapor Separator before - isn't that what they used in '68 on 440HP engines?  I know they used only the VS for fuel filtration in '69-70...

Dino

I'm thinking the same, I don't think there ever was an actual filter besides the vapor separator.  Not to say you shouldn't add one though.  A metal period correct filter would look right at home imo.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on April 09, 2014, 08:06:38 AM
I don't recall ever seeing a date code on a Vapor Separator before - isn't that what they used in '68 on 440HP engines?  I know they used only the VS for fuel filtration in '69-70...

NOS - Sweet!!!    Yes sir - That is what they got in '68 as well.  :2thumbs:

ODZKing

RT440A833

Thanks for the help. I thought the fuel vapor separator was just a fancy name they'd given for a fuel filter. I've ordered the vapor separator with the return line back to the tank so im on the right track now. Thanks again.

hemigeno

Before buying, do a bit of investigation to make sure it's one of the "good" reproductions.  There are repro's being made which have too large of an orifice/hole on the small return line fitting, and weren't fabricated on the inside correctly either.  The problem on the return line fitting allows too much flow back to the fuel tank, and reduces fuel pressure going to the carb.

I'd point you to Bill Allphin for the correct repop vapor separator, but I don't think he's in the parts biz any longer.  Not sure what other vendor is aware of the distinction or carries the good repops... Bill Rolik?  From what I remember, if the vapor separator can has Inlet & Outlet stampings on it, then it's a good piece.  I also think the return line orifice is supposed to measure .060", but that's subject to correction.

:cheers:

Mytur Binsdirti

I've gotten two repro ones from two different suppliers & the mounting tang broke off of each one due to crappy spot welding.

:icon_smile_angry:

RT440A833

I did some research and made a few calls today and ended up finding one. I kept in mind what you said about the inlet and outlet being stamped on it and the one i bought had those stamps and from as far as i can tell seems to be a good quality unit. I cant tell you brand it was but hopefully i dont have the same problem of the mounting bracket breaking. I've got a new carter hi-flow fuel pump coming so i'll be back on the road next week. Thanks again for the help.

66FBCharger

To check the vapor separator I bought, I took a paper clip, put a short bend at the end. I then inserted it into each tube, made a mark on the clip and compared the mark to the vapor separator to make sure the tube went almost the length of the separator. The problem with some of them is the tubes are too short internally and don't allow the screen to work. I bought mine years ago from Roger Gibson. It was stamped and the tubes were correct inside. The problem was the outlet tubes i.d. (orefice size) was too big. If you look in the FSM it will show a cutaway of the vapor separator and it will tell you the orefice size. Off the top of my head, I believe it is supposed to be .040".
Mine was too large. I had the welder at work weld up the end of the outlet tube and I drilled it out to the correct size.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

hemigeno

Quote from: 66FBCharger on April 11, 2014, 07:01:47 AM
To check the vapor separator I bought, I took a paper clip, put a short bend at the end. I then inserted it into each tube, made a mark on the clip and compared the mark to the vapor separator to make sure the tube went almost the length of the separator. The problem with some of them is the tubes are too short internally and don't allow the screen to work. I bought mine years ago from Roger Gibson. It was stamped and the tubes were correct inside. The problem was the outlet tubes i.d. (orefice size) was too big. If you look in the FSM it will show a cutaway of the vapor separator and it will tell you the orefice size. Off the top of my head, I believe it is supposed to be .040".
Mine was too large. I had the welder at work weld up the end of the outlet tube and I drilled it out to the correct size.

Yeah, those are the two problems I'd heard about (internal tube configuration and orifice size).  The orifice size problem is correctable, just like you did.  I didn't remember that the FSM showed the size for the return tube opening - but sure enough, there it is:  .060"    I had not heard of the problem Mytur had, but somehow it doesn't surprise me.

RT440, it would be well worth the time to check your vapor separator for both of the problems 66FBCharger mentioned once it arrives.  It is also well worth the trouble to fix the return tube's orifice if the one you receive is too large.  Plus, if the mounting tab's spot-weld looks a little "iffy", you could always reinforce it & touch up the paint before installation...

:cheers:

maxwellwedge

Yes - Good info here. The "reversed" re-pops were a few years ago now and I think that all the current ones are ok for that. Had a few of those and the main sympton was good at idle but had the running out of gas feeling as the throttle was opened. The orifice size remains a problem but fixable as stated above. Frank Badalson sells them as well....tubes are fine but I think the orifice still needs to be corrected.

ACUDANUT

Who would want a 45 year old filter ?. What's next, 45 year old gasoline, and a 45 year old battery ?  :eek2:
Re-pops are just fakes and do not mean anything. :Twocents: