News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Upgrade factory disc brake calipers on 1968 Charger

Started by petohazy, April 07, 2014, 11:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petohazy

Has anyone had any luck finding a better caliper (and rotor if need be) that works with the original disc brake spindle on the 68s?  All I come up with are disc brake kits which use the drum spindle, or others that require a later model spindle.

Cooter

IIRC, those disc brakes basically used a drum spindle with bearings in a rotor. The later model spindles used a bigger inner bearing.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

petohazy

Quote from: Cooter on April 07, 2014, 11:32:13 AM
IIRC, those disc brakes basically used a drum spindle with bearings in a rotor. The later model spindles used a bigger inner bearing.
I checked with Wilwood and SSBC, both of which told me I would need to go backwards (replace disc spindle with drum spindle) to move forward with aftermarket calipers (and rotors).

Cooter

I know with my E body the original set up had a smaller inner bearing like the drum brake spindle did.
The factory just adapted a disc rotor to it. (72).
Only way to be sure would be to remove rotor and Mic (pronounced mike) the inner bearing surface.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"