News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AMD 383-440 valve covers

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, April 06, 2014, 03:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Anyone used AMD's new 383-440 valve covers yet?  Any troubles with sealing?  Or sould I say any IMPROVEMENTS with sealing the heads from oil leaks?

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ACUDANUT

I hate Tin valve covers. They are just to easy to bend and warp. I love cast aluminum such as M/T ect.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 06, 2014, 04:09:20 PM
I hate Tin valve covers. They are just to easy to bend and warp. I love cast aluminum such as M/T ect.

How did this response answer the op's question?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks for the links John.  Will definitely order up a set of those gaskets as well!  :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparsr2fast

I have found that the sealing issue is do more to the uneven cast gasket surface of the factory heads themselves. Sometimes over. 06". It is why so many people have trouble with the cast covers breaking the ears off. If you can get the gasket rail on the head machined, it would help immensely with the sealing issues.
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 06, 2014, 04:44:19 PM

Sorry, I didn't know you did not want any opinions on them, or tin covers in general. Geez. Lighten up.

cudaken

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 06, 2014, 03:53:10 PM
Anyone used AMD's new 383-440 valve covers yet?  Any troubles with sealing?  Or sould I say any IMPROVEMENTS with sealing the heads from oil leaks?

Do you want new for the sake of new? I think I may have a pair of used OEM I am not using. I am more into the M/T my self.

Ken
I am back

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 06, 2014, 06:55:06 PM
Thanks for the links John.  Will definitely order up a set of those gaskets as well!  :thumbs:
:yesnod:  me too.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: cudaken on April 07, 2014, 09:58:51 PM

Do you want new for the sake of new? I think I may have a pair of used OEM I am not using. I am more into the M/T my self.

Ken

I want new for the sake of straight & not 40 years of tweaked ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

After reading about the issues with the black wrinkle MP covers I really really want, I'm starting to think I should just stick with the non leaking chrome covers I have now.  I rarely drive with the hood open these days anyway.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

moparsr2fast

The MP covers are fine Dino. It is the heads that are the problem.. :brickwall:
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 08, 2014, 04:40:03 PM

I want new for the sake of straight & not 40 years of tweaked ;)

That's why I'm getting a pair. I hate leaks.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Dino

Quote from: moparsr2fast on April 10, 2014, 09:12:31 PM
The MP covers are fine Dino. It is the heads that are the problem.. :brickwall:

Oh I see.  I thought I heard that the MP covers tend to crack when bolted down.  Never thought the problem would lie with the heads themselves...that's pretty crappy.

Thanks!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

moparsr2fast

Sheetmetal covers have a little flex and give to them. The cast aluminum don't, and if the corner of the cylinder head drops by a 1/16" or more, the corners of the cast covers tend to snap off. Everyone blames the covers, but Mopar never machined that gasket surface. I have machined it on stock heads that I use, and with a good gasket, you don't even need sealer.
Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee

69chargerboy

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 06, 2014, 04:44:19 PM

LOL! True!  :laugh: :lol:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup