News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New RTR Firecore Dizzy adjusted!

Started by b5blue, April 10, 2014, 07:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Just a short testimonial for the Firecore RTR Dizzy. After farting around with rebuilt dizzy's, a new Mopar HP dizzy and ending up with one of the last old style FBO A688 setups with a dizzy curved by Don's shop I still had some ping I just could not get rid of.
When the FBO setup had a mystery crap out at the worst possible place I had 2 hours waiting for a misdirected tow truck to consider my options while praying nobody rounded the corner and slammed into my car stuck in the slow lane next to an 80 foot guard rail.
I had to invest in the best option I could find. The Firecore RTR eliminates everything I'd tried that had failed at one time or another, even the coil is full time 12V, no resistor. Installing went easy and I quickly found a sweet spot where it 440 started and ran nicely with just a light ping left as a concern. Today in about an hour I pulled the RTR changed one spring to a stronger one and took about 2 degrees of factory set advance out and reinstalled exactly where I had it. Bingo no ping anywhere! It was a treat for me to just flog the crap out of my 440 for 30 minutes trying to get it to ping after driving for so long avoiding it.  :2thumbs: 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Sounds great Neal.  Good to hear things coming together with positive outcome.  Any pics of the install?   How does the dist look?  stock-ish?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

NHCharger

Chris. Here is a pic of the Firecore distributor in my 68. Not stockish at all, but my 68 ended up far from stock. you can see the coil mounted on the passenger inner fender (I'm not installing the washer bottle). I like the fact that it eliminates the ballast resistor and the ECU. I took the feed that use to go to one side of the ballast resistor and used it for my feed for the electric choke. Don't have the car on the road yet so i can't give you my review.
I was just starting to install the wiring harness in this pic which is why none of the wires are connected.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

firefighter3931

Neal, thanks for posting your results. Sounds like she's dialed in pretty good !  :2thumbs:

They're pretty nice to work with and easy to adjust. I'm sure some of your previous detonation issues with the older reman & MP distributors were related to spark scatter and erratic timing. It's nice to have a solid/steady spark without having the timing jump around all over the place. Makes using the timing light much more enjoyable as well !  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

Thanks for hooking us up Ron!  :2thumbs: I'll shoot some pics over the weekend of how it looks with the six pack. Just like the difference I felt when I changed to Firecore plug wires! I was going to shoot pics of the tear down but didn't think I was going to nail it on the first adjustment so hadn't taken any.  :scratchchin:

bill440rt

Excellent, Neal!  :cheers:    I was fighting detonation problems for years with my '68 before switching to aluminum heads and a newer model MP dist.

Ron, with the regular Firecore dist be compatible with a "stock" looking coil such as an MSD Blaster2, or do you have to swap the the rectangular style?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Back N Black

Quote from: bill440rt on April 11, 2014, 07:00:50 AM
Excellent, Neal!  :cheers:    I was fighting detonation problems for years with my '68 before switching to aluminum heads and a newer model MP dist.

Ron, with the regular Firecore dist be compatible with a "stock" looking coil such as an MSD Blaster2, or do you have to swap the the rectangular style?

Bill, i just installed the RTR distributor and it has the stock looking coil. I installed dummy wiring to the original ECU and removed the resistor from the back of the ballast resistor and soldered wires across the connections. The ballast looks stock but is running 12 volts for the coil.

firefighter3931

Quote from: bill440rt on April 11, 2014, 07:00:50 AM

Bill, the plug & play is compatible with a MP chrome/orange box using a ballist resistor and conventional coil.. You can also upgrade to a Firecore HP stock style coil for a hotter spark but this must be installed with a .8 ohm ballist resistor. Of course, you can also run a Mallory/MSD CD box with this distributor as well.  :yesnod:

The RTR posted above uses a constant 12v feed and can use either the HP canister replacement style or the HEI terminal unit that is in Brian's pic above. At this point you can eliminate the ballist or modify it as Eldon described.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bill440rt

Ron, I'm running a MSD 6AL with the ballast resistor bypassed. Still OK?  :popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

firefighter3931

Quote from: bill440rt on April 11, 2014, 04:22:58 PM
Ron, I'm running a MSD 6AL with the ballast resistor bypassed. Still OK?  :popcrn:

Yep, the plug and play works fine with a MSD box. The billet mechanical will also work with a MSD box and it does not have a vacuum advance canister.....it's like the MSD pro billet distributor with a more compact body with a better mechanical advance mrchanism. A stock cap will fit on either distributor as well.

Ron

bill440rt

:2thumbs:

Cool!
Thinking ahead, might add it to the shopping list for Carlisle.  :cheers: