News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering pump noise on start up - advice please

Started by XH29N0G, April 25, 2014, 07:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

On last two start ups, my steering pump made a noise like it was low on PS fluid (it is not but the fluid looks yucky).  It quieted down after a minute or so of running.  My plan is to replace the fluid, but I am wondering if there is anything else that I should try. 

Possible other relevant information is that I put lucas stop leak in it last fall.   Thanks in advance for any thoughts/wisdom
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

I have about 20 Saginaw P/S pumps. I seem to keep finding them. If you cannot fix yours, PM me for a freebie. You'd need to pay for shipping though, I live in Northern CA.

XH29N0G

Thanks, I will keep that in mind if the steering fluid change doesn't solve it.  Right now I have a federal pump on there, but it used to be a Saginaw.  Still curious why the shop that did the work swapped it, but that is what I have.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

c00nhunterjoe

Check the shaft for play. My federal pump was making a similar noise on startup and the shaft was walking in and out.