News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rap music such as Sir Mix Alot , who likes it?

Started by Charger-Bodie, April 05, 2014, 03:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Im down with you Brian.  I listen to the old school stuff myself.  Used to DJ parties when I was a kid and had all the 12" vinyl of the stuff.....wish I had them now....  Parents checked them out (6-7 milk crates full) when they moved :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

oldgold69

I give it a 3  good beat but had to dance too :nana: :brickwall:

Cooter

I've found most of my cars have alot in common with Mix-A-Lot's "My Hoopty"...

"Lifters tickin..Accelerator stickin..Somethin in the left front wheel keeps clickin...."
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ponch ®

Quote from: Cooter on April 07, 2014, 06:37:00 AM
Oh yeah, back before the "kill whitey", or the "down with the man" mentality became center stage....

In all my years of listening to rap, I've never heard a single song say anything about killing whitey. And "down with the man"? what's this? 1975? Rebelling against authority has been a hallmark of rock and roll since "Summertime Blues"

Saying that rap is about "killing whitey" and so on is as ignorant and uninformed as saying that all country music is "let's f--k our sisters and then hang us a n---".

Anyway...I haven't really been into any new rap/hip hop since at least the late 90's. Probably because I don't listen to conventional radio or watch MTV that much. I dig some stuff by Kanye, Jay-Z, etc but that's about it. Still, I guess now I'm one of those old guys whose music was better back in their day...and in my case, i'll always think the West Coast G-Funk Era was the apex of rap.

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Cooter

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 08, 2014, 10:36:57 AM
Oh yeah, back before the "kill whitey", or the "down with the man" mentality became center stage...

In all my years of listening to rap, I've never heard a single song say anything about killing whitey. And "down with the man"? what's this? 1975? Rebelling against authority has been a hallmark of rock and roll since "Summertime Blues"

Saying that rap is about "killing whitey" and so on is as ignorant and uninformed as saying that all country music is "let's f--k our sisters and then hang us a n---".

Anyway...I haven't really been into any new rap/hip hop since at least the late 90's. Probably because I don't listen to conventional radio or watch MTV that much. I dig some stuff by Kanye, Jay-Z, etc but that's about it. Still, I guess now I'm one of those old guys whose music was better back in their day...and in my case, i'll always think the West Coast G-Funk Era was the apex of rap.

Obviously, you've never li we tend to hardcore rap. Uninformed? Lol. Talk about head in the sand. Poncho, you might not have actually listened to the lyrics, and chose not to hear the underlying messages.
that's fine, but please, try not to assume you know what the experiences of others have been.
take a listen to "Cop Killer" by ICE T, or "fight the power"....By your own admission, you must have been too young to enjoy the same lyrics I did. (Yes, I was one of the white kids listening to hardcore rap).btw: hardcore rap/hip hop is NOT 'rock and roll'. Look at any rap music based movie from the era. Uninformed....nice  one.

As for todays country? Bubblegum.
hell, I don't like it, but there's a line in DOH one armed bandits where Bo says to Daisy "if we weren't cousins, I'd marry you"..
Daisy replies "never stopped anybody in this family before".
It's there if you wanna see/hear it....stick your head in the sand, well, that's how this country got where we are now...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ponch ®

Quote from: Cooter on April 10, 2014, 07:31:31 AM
Quote from: Ponch ® on April 08, 2014, 10:36:57 AM
Oh yeah, back before the "kill whitey", or the "down with the man" mentality became center stage...

Obviously, you've never li we tend to hardcore rap. Uninformed? Lol. Talk about head in the sand. Poncho, you might not have actually listened to the lyrics, and chose not to hear the underlying messages.
that's fine, but please, try not to assume you know what the experiences of others have been.
take a listen to "Cop Killer" by ICE T, or "fight the power"....By your own admission, you must have been too young to enjoy the same lyrics I did. (Yes, I was one of the white kids listening to hardcore rap).btw: hardcore rap/hip hop is NOT 'rock and roll'. Look at any rap music based movie from the era. Uninformed....nice  one.

As for todays country? Bubblegum.
hell, I don't like it, but there's a line in DOH one armed bandits where Bo says to Daisy "if we weren't cousins, I'd marry you"..
Daisy replies "never stopped anybody in this family before".
It's there if you wanna see/hear it....stick your head in the sand, well, that's how this country got where we are now...

Semantics. Yeah, I've listened to Ice-T ("The Girl tried to kill me" - probably greatest rap song ever). Again, pointing out to Cop Killer and Fight the Power as examples of "hardcore" rap shows exactly that you haven't been exposed to other forms of it. Those songs are 25 years old and they're the ones that everyone mentions when they want to talk about how violent and repugnant rap is - because they got the most attention.  But if anything, songs like that are outliers, not the norm. A lot worse and a lot better stuff has come out since. It's like someone basing their opinion of entire the rock n roll genre by using Nickelback and Green Day as the standard bearers.

Besides...is Cop Killer really all that different from "I shot the Sheriff", "Whiskey in the Jar", or "Cocaine Blues"?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Cooter

Again, semantics. I grew up through raps beginnings. Obviously, you may not have, being that I stated that once, there was a ti mms e when the general idea was "kill whitey". Ahem, did they say those exact words? No. But then again, It was the mentality.

mrsskip68

Before this thread gets locked, please Cooter.....stop. Just talk about fun memories of the music or shut the f&*k  up! (Sorry Cooter, but your ticking me off!) Dont turn this into a racism issue! Thanks guys!  :2thumbs:

P.S. The way You persive a song/rap, is just that. Maybe its the timing or location of where you heard   something that jaded your viewpoint, and thats valid. But others may have had the opposite experience. So dont judge. To each their own! ;)

Lisa

ACUDANUT

Rap and music don't belong in the same paragraph. :brickwall:
Cool mo dee, was all okay I guess back in the 80's