News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone else enrolled in college/university?

Started by Dino, April 03, 2014, 12:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

After 3 1/2 years of going to college and working full time in health care, I finally went on educational leave from work this January to be a full time university student.

It's a lot of hard work, especially if like me you want to go to grad school and need to keep that 4.0 or be real close to it.  But it is more than worth it.

I just wanted to see if anyone else out there is doing this or thinking about it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

marshallfry01

I'm a full time student at Henderson State in Arkansas.  I'm an aviation major.  I wish I was doing something else though cause the cost of airplane rental is so expensive and I would rather be spending that money on a 69 charger!  But I have fun with it.  I'm one or two flights away from having my private license and I should have my instrument and commercial before I turn 21.  I know the first thing I will by after I complete college will be a charger!!  Dino where do you attend college? And btw, nice charger!!   :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

twodko

marshallfry01, have you considered moving to aeronautical engineering? That's a field where there will always
be a demand for talent.......and it's an AS then BS degree. Start out in JC then transfer to a state college for the last 2 years. Don't let the math/physics intimidate you either. You can do it!

I took that route in broadcast engineering.

Dino, you da man! Keep up the good work. That's a profession you can take anywhere you want to live
in the future.

I haven't forgotten about posting some picture of my woodworking..........
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

wingcar

As one of my past flight instructors once told me...flying is great IF you are willing to cede that you must pay your dues early in your career dream making little money, start off flight training individuals that at times seem intent on shorting your life, then flying freight at night in planes that are usually older than you and at times appear to have "issues" that the owner is more than willing to over look (he's not flying the ship), then moving on to the life of a gypsy following jobs that while not always paying more, will get you the magic numbers....flight hours.  And, don't forget that those hours need to be multi-engine....not Cessna 152 hours.  He and most others like him know from experience what a flying career truly means.

If you come out of the military, it may shorten the time until you get to the cockpit of an airliner, but you will still have to fly the small commuters first in most cases before moving on to the heavies.   The only thing that keeps people pursuing an airliner job is their love of flying.  And, once you are bitten by that bug...you are never the same.  There is no cure other than to reach for the sky and dance among the clouds.   If it's in your blood go for it...just make sure that you truly understand the path you are taking.

I have my commercial with multi-engine/instrument along with ratings for single engine, glider, and helicopter, as well as advanced Ground instructor.  So I have been there done that. 
Sometimes it more sense to get a good paying job and just fly for the love of flying...not for the money.

Whatever, you do.....follow your dream and heart and be happy with your chosen path in life. 

No matter what you do...you are already on the right path...getting your degree is the most important thing you will do for your future.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Dino

Quote from: marshallfry01 on April 03, 2014, 12:47:12 PM
I'm a full time student at Henderson State in Arkansas.  I'm an aviation major.  I wish I was doing something else though cause the cost of airplane rental is so expensive and I would rather be spending that money on a 69 charger!  But I have fun with it.  I'm one or two flights away from having my private license and I should have my instrument and commercial before I turn 21.  I know the first thing I will by after I complete college will be a charger!!  Dino where do you attend college? And btw, nice charger!!   :2thumbs:

That's impressive man!  I would love to fly, maybe something for the later part of life.   :yesnod:

21...damn...my life has had such a 180 done to it since then...you made me fall silent for the first time in a long while.   :lol:

I turned 40 recently and couldn't be a happier man!   :yesnod: 

I'm enrolled in the exercise science program at Eastern Michigan U.  I'll have 79 out of the 126 total credits when the semester ends in a few weeks.  I should be done after the summer of 2015 internship semester.  Then it's on to grad school.  Hoping to attend the PA program at Wayne State after this or stick with this school, not yet decided.  Or to be more honest: it depends on who takes me.   :icon_smile_big:

The car is not the most glamorous around here, but it's solid and loves to slide its butt around corners.  I am always happy to oblige.  Thanks for the compliment.   :2thumbs: 

flyinlow

Ah the joys of being around aircraft.

A guy I new had started at the ground level and was still driving the Honey wagon (lav service truck) after five years. One afternoon toward the end of a 12 hour shift the hose came loose and dumped the lav contents on him. Angrily he when back to the office to change ,where his boss informed him they where short for tomarrow and he would need to work a double. The guy complaned they need to hire more help. The boss told him he could always quit. The guy turned and said, "What and give up Aviation?"

Finish school.  :2thumbs:

XH29N0G

Dino,  I'm on the other side (I teach).  The students like you, who come back and are motivated, are the ones who do well in and after the degree.  There are not too many, so they often don't overlap in classes, but there are enough that I run into.  I really admire them for having the confidence to decide to make a change and then doing it.  I also appreciate that they do the work and contribute to the classes.   :2thumbs:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

marshallfry01

Quote from: twodko on April 03, 2014, 01:21:25 PM
marshallfry01, have you considered moving to aeronautical engineering? That's a field where there will always
be a demand for talent.......and it's an AS then BS degree. Start out in JC then transfer to a state college for the last 2 years. Don't let the math/physics intimidate you either. You can do it!

I took that route in broadcast engineering.

Dino, you da man! Keep up the good work. That's a profession you can take anywhere you want to live
in the future.

I haven't forgotten about posting some picture of my woodworking..........
I have thought about doing many other things to major in, but i'm going to stick with the professional pilot track.  I just hate to almost finish this degree and decide to do something different.  I'll have my private in a week or two and I am really excided.  I'm just terrible at any kind of math and physics, so I think i'll stay away from that. Flying a plane doesn't take lots of math knowledge like everyone thinks it does, or I wouldn't be doing it. lol
1969 Charger 383/auto

marshallfry01

Quote from: wingcar on April 03, 2014, 02:19:08 PM
As one of my past flight instructors once told me…flying is great IF you are willing to cede that you must pay your dues early in your career dream making little money, start off flight training individuals that at times seem intent on shorting your life, then flying freight at night in planes that are usually older than you and at times appear to have “issues” that the owner is more than willing to over look (he’s not flying the ship), then moving on to the life of a gypsy following jobs that while not always paying more, will get you the magic numbers….flight hours.  And, don’t forget that those hours need to be multi-engine….not Cessna 152 hours.  He and most others like him know from experience what a flying career truly means.

If you come out of the military, it may shorten the time until you get to the cockpit of an airliner, but you will still have to fly the small commuters first in most cases before moving on to the heavies.   The only thing that keeps people pursuing an airliner job is their love of flying.  And, once you are bitten by that bug…you are never the same.  There is no cure other than to reach for the sky and dance among the clouds.   If it’s in your blood go for it…just make sure that you truly understand the path you are taking.

I have my commercial with multi-engine/instrument along with ratings for single engine, glider, and helicopter, as well as advanced Ground instructor.  So I have been there done that. 
Sometimes it more sense to get a good paying job and just fly for the love of flying…not for the money.

Whatever, you do…..follow your dream and heart and be happy with your chosen path in life. 

No matter what you do...you are already on the right path...getting your degree is the most important thing you will do for your future.

I couldn't have said it better about early aviation life!!  I went into aviation as soon as I graduated high school in 2012.  No one in my family has ever been in aviation and I had never been around it until I started in college.  I had no idea how much stuff there was to do with flying.  To this day, I have never been in a plane bigger than a 180 maule.  I have only seen the inside of airline planes on tv.  :lol:  In all honesty, I would have done something different because I didn't realize the cost was going to be so bad and the classes are kicking my ass at times.  But I know it will all be worth it in the end.  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto

twodko

Gotcha.  Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Choosing a career as a commercial pilot will require that you complete

the full syllabus for admission to the Mile High Club.........unless you're

already so rated.  :D

marshallfry01

Quote from: twodko on April 03, 2014, 07:28:57 PM
Gotcha.  Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

already so rated.  :D

When I get my private that will be the second rating i'll receive!!  :rofl:   :nana: :lol:
1969 Charger 383/auto

73rallye440magnum

I'll graduate this December with B.S. in Manufacturing Engineering. 142 credits in 4 years.

Married four years this July, one daughter, and another one due in Sep. I commute 43 miles each way.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to December.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

twodko

You and your family will enjoy a truly splendid Christmas! Well done.

wingcar

Quote from: marshallfry01 on April 03, 2014, 07:36:41 PM
Quote from: twodko on April 03, 2014, 07:28:57 PM
Gotcha.  Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

already so rated.  :D

When I get my private that will be the second rating i'll receive!!  :rofl:   :nana: :lol:

This is where a "Cabin Class" aircraft becomes preferable :icon_smile_wink: 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

BSB67

I have two kids in college and my third one visiting different campuses now.  All of these campus visits really make me want to go back...for fun.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Dino

Quote from: XH29N0G on April 03, 2014, 04:03:09 PM
Dino,  I'm on the other side (I teach).  The students like you, who come back and are motivated, are the ones who do well in and after the degree.  There are not too many, so they often don't overlap in classes, but there are enough that I run into.  I really admire them for having the confidence to decide to make a change and then doing it.  I also appreciate that they do the work and contribute to the classes.   :2thumbs:

Thanks!  It's nice to hear we are appreciated.   :icon_smile_big:

It's crazy how few people are truly interested in class.  I understand it can be a drag but last I checked, we were here voluntarily!  Sometimes I feel like the only one participating in class.  At least once a week one of my teachers will ask me not to answer as he or she wants to hear from someone else.  Ten seconds later I may be asked to answer anyway because everyone else seems to be changing into zombies.... :rotz:

I hope that as a teacher you see more of the good than the bad.  What do you teach if I may ask?

XH29N0G

Dino,

I teach geology and geochemistry.  I see both good and bad, but mostly good. A small number of motivated people working hard can make all the difference in the world.   

On a related note, when I was a grad student in Alberta, there was a downturn in industry and a bunch of exploration geologist re-enrolled to upgrade their credentials. I was the teaching assistant.  They were older, bigger, and tougher than me, and they were really serious about learning.  The best group I have worked with.  They probably also saved me a lot of pain because one Friday, I clumsily spilled part of my beer on a hockey player who took issue and wanted to flatten me.  I am not big and I would have been toast, but tefore I knew it, I had about 20 students surrounding me & him.  They said he should not touch me because I was needed to help teach classes and they knew it was not intentional on my part.  (I tripped while getting pitchers for the group).  They also said they would be happy to take it outside and settle it on my behalf.  Never saw a hockey player or the bouncers back down before - but these guys were big, not necessarily looking for trouble, but also not going to be pushed around.  It all was settled, we stayed, they stayed and the differences were passed along.

Or maybe it protects us. 

CB

I am, turning 41 in May, finishing my 2ND year at the University of Brussels in august.
I changed jobs (working 12h night shifts now) so there's more time to study and work on my papers.
Since my dad passed away in January I am running behind schedule so I might have an additional year.

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Chad L. Magee

I teach mostly general chemistry courses at a university, with chemical research projects constantly going on with undergrad students.  You can have good semesters and bad ones, it varies depending upon the students themselves.  I measure how I do based upon what they do with what I taught them.  The best students are the ones who are very self modivated to learn everything they can about the subject at hand without needing a reason (assignment) to do so.  Two of my former students are now at Cornell with full ride scholarships.  One is working toward a medical degree and the other wants to do strictly synthesis chemical research....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Ponch ®

I'm in grad school, 2 years into a 4 year program. Work full time-ish during the day, go to school at night. 16 hour days are the norm...but I knew what I was getting into. It can be done.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

XH29N0G

Quote from: CB on April 05, 2014, 05:21:07 PM
I am, turning 41 in May, finishing my 2ND year at the University of Brussels in august.
I changed jobs (working 12h night shifts now) so there's more time to study and work on my papers.
Since my dad passed away in January I am running behind schedule so I might have an additional year.

Quote from: Ponch ® on April 08, 2014, 10:54:09 AM
I'm in grad school, 2 years into a 4 year program. Work full time-ish during the day, go to school at night. 16 hour days are the norm...but I knew what I was getting into. It can be done.

Never like to hear about losses, and send condolences CB. 

Both of you get my respect for doing the degree work :2thumbs:

Or maybe it protects us.