News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever squeezed 24MPG out of their Hemi Ram?

Started by hatersaurusrex, April 04, 2014, 10:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatersaurusrex

I just did yesterday.  To be honest, I didn't think I'd ever get more than 20 but I dialed it down to where the engine would stay in ECO mode most of the time and rode for 3 hours - the results are pretty impressive.   After 2.5 hours I hadn't even eaten up a quarter tank of gas.

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

hatersaurusrex

And for the curious - it's a 2011 Crew Cab Sport 4x4 on 89 octane Shell pump gas.  Mildly hilly terrain from west to middle TN.  5 speed auto (I hear the new 8 speeds get even better MPG's at highway speeds)

No topper or tonneau, tailgate up (thanks mythbusters) - tires at about 38PSI each - no engine mods other than a (probably worthless) K&N CAI.   Pretty sure the stock CAI pushed just as much air but it impresses the ricers.

68X426

My new 2014 Hemi Ram 4x4, with the 8 speed, is rated at 15 and 21.  The very first tank got 22 mpg, mostly highway.  We tentatively have a road trip soon to Utah.  If it happens I'll aim to match the 24 you got.

The eight speed is for real.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: 68X426 on April 04, 2014, 11:21:27 AM

My new 2014 Hemi Ram 4x4, with the 8 speed, is rated at 15 and 21.  The very first tank got 22 mpg, mostly highway.  We tentatively have a road soon to Utah.  If it happens I'll aim to match the 24 you got.

Yeah the '11 models are only rated for 18 highway and I squeezed 6 more MPGs out - so you might get well into the mid-20's if you baby it.

I think the 5 speed is the only thing keeping me from getting even better numbers- in 5th the ratio is just short enough to make it kick out of ECO around 70MPH or so and it pulls about 2K RPM.  If you can keep the motor between 15-1800 RPM I've noticed it stays in ECO for far longer, and building momentum down long hills and coasting back up can mean only long hill pulls bring it out of ECO.   Just a tiny nudge of the pedal on the way down and a tiny backing off on the way back up.

When I started I was using the cruise control to do it, but by turning it off and modulating the pedal slightly to drive it, I noticed the number started climbing.  Once I was up to 22 I decided to see how high I could get it.

I don't know what the difference between real MPG and what the evic says - but 1/4 of a tank for 2.5 hours of driving tells me it's pretty good either way.

70 sublime

About the only think cruise control is good for is keep from getting speeding tickets  :2thumbs: set it and forget it

I have a 2014 hemi 4X4 quad cab that has about 5000 miles on it now

A couple of weeks ago we went on a road trip and it was 5 hours round trip (to look at a Charger  ::) )
By the time we got home and looked I was just at over 22mpg
The cruise was on for about 1/2 of the trip (too much traffic for the other 1/2)
If when driving with the cruise on the eco light is not on very much

Around home I do the very same thing speed up a little down the hills to coast up the other side without moving the gas pedal and the eco light will stay on but you do slow down some

Too bad there was not a cruise control option to just keep the gas pedal where you have it instead of the speedometer where you had it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

twodko

That's impressive mileage and you and Dan have 4wd trucks. I've always used cruise control for ticket avoidance mainly but also thought I got better has mileage. After reading a few posts here about getting better gas mileage without using CC I haven't been using it too much. My Ram is a 2009 hemi 2wd that I just filled up yesterday.rime opportunity to see how much mileage I can squeeze out of a tank. The truck gets about 400 mile per tank of fuel. Does that sound about right?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

flyinlow

That's impressive. My '04 has never done better than 18 MPG on the road. Maybe it's time to trade up.

Dino

I got an average of at least 40 mpg in the Charger when I didn't put it in park and the sob started rolling down the driveway...does that count?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: twodko on April 04, 2014, 12:15:39 PM
That's impressive mileage and you and Dan have 4wd trucks. I've always used cruise control for ticket avoidance mainly but also thought I got better has mileage. After reading a few posts here about getting better gas mileage without using CC I haven't been using it too much. My Ram is a 2009 hemi 2wd that I just filled up yesterday.rime opportunity to see how much mileage I can squeeze out of a tank. The truck gets about 400 mile per tank of fuel. Does that sound about right?

That does sound right - I get about 400 per tank normally.   In this case I'd already come almost 170 miles and according to the EVIC had 410 more to go with what I had in the tank.   I'm not sure I believe I'll be able to get 550+ miles out of a tank, but I can sure try.

WINGR

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on April 04, 2014, 10:53:41 AM
I just did yesterday.  To be honest, I didn't think I'd ever get more than 20 but I dialed it down to where the engine would stay in ECO mode most of the time and rode for 3 hours - the results are pretty impressive.   After 2.5 hours I hadn't even eaten up a quarter tank of gas.

Hi. can you please tell me what gear you have in your 4x4 Hemi Ram? I am considering getting one and have been trying to decide between the 3:21 or the 3:92. Of course I would rather have the 3:92 but am also wanting to get some decent mileage. Also what to get on the expressway when doing at least 70mph?

Thanks,
WINGR/Steve

69_500

Do not have a Ram, but average 24.5 over last 6000 miles in our 05 Durango with the Hemi

68X426

My 2014 Ram Hemi 4x4, with the TorqueFlite 8HP70 8-speed transmission, has the 3.21 gears.  I think that ratio is standard equipment, and you can't order the 3.92.  The 3.92 option is only available with the 6-speed (I think).

The ratios for the 8-speed look like this:

1- 4.71
2- 3.14
3- 2.10
4- 1.67
5- 1.29
6- 1.00
7-   .84
8-   .67

The final ratio in 8th gear is 2.15.  :o

My calculator says that with the stock 33" tires, the motor is turning 1423 rpms at 65 mph.  That is freaking low.  I think the tranny may not even find 7th or 8th gear until 70 and 80mph.  I'll be testing it.

In first and second it is a genuine kick-in-the-ass.  You'd never know it had 3.21s.  And we cannot feel any shifts, nothing to be felt.  Takes getting used to.

I expect even better mileage once a camper shell is in place and taller tires are added, while maintaining the ground pounding power.  The 8-speed is quite the advancement, how else can you get 22 mph out of 400+ horses in a 6000 pound beast.  :icon_smile_tongue:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

miller time

i know its totally different, stock i got upwards of 25+mpg at 55mph or so no ac
but my 05 3500 dually cummins 24 valve 6spd stick, stock, with a bully dog programmer, (paid $150 for it used and up to 140 hp and 210 torques) and at 45-50mph wth ac on im reading upwards of 33MPG if i dont dump diesel smoke on the gassers and its told me over 45MPG without AC, and that just on preformance, not extreme, which is more power and better timing
when i got the programmer the guy installed it for me, really easy, i left his house, hit a stop sign, got up to 30mph and stepped on it slowly and at 35mph i broke the duallys loose and started spinning on dry pavement, needless to say im a VERY happy boy
but still get crap over 75mph, and by crap i mean 18-14, but still beats a new '12 6.7 cummins auto, and i can dump smoke on anyone i want whenever i want, and yes it is fun to dump diesel smoke
but my stock clutch HATES ME, so i learned to keep it happy

Todd Wilson

Until you do the math at the gas pump the console read outs don't mean a thing. None are accurate at all. I had a Chevy Impala Rental car for a month (worst month of my life) and I could get its console to show stupid MPG by moving the pedal around.

Todd

68X426

Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 04, 2014, 11:38:13 PM
Until you do the math at the gas pump the console read outs don't mean a thing.

I'll agree.  I did the math, 291 miles and 13.09 gallons equals 22.23 miles per gallon.  Topped off, no short pumping.

The console read 22 mpg.  But I don't assume accuracy for years to come either.

Filled up today and got 18.1 mpg.  The wife had it for the week and ran lots of errands around town, stop and go.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

70 sublime

Quote from: WINGR on April 04, 2014, 04:12:04 PM

Hi. can you please tell me what gear you have in your 4x4 Hemi Ram? I am considering getting one and have been trying to decide between the 3:21 or the 3:92. Of course I would rather have the 3:92 but am also wanting to get some decent mileage. Also what to get on the expressway when doing at least 70mph?

Thanks,
WINGR/Steve

I have 3:21 gears in my 2014 4X4 hemi truck with the 6 spd auto
The truck before this one was a 2011 4X4 hemi 5 spd auto with 3:92 (my first new truck ever)
The 2011 was fast .  Never lost a stop light battle with it (just flip it into 4X4 and the other guy had no chance  ;) )
I never felt like the motor was reving high on the major roads but the mpg was not great
With my 2014 just after I got it I noticed it would not pass cars as well (pull out to pass a slow car and pull back in front)
I think more of what was happening was that being the 6 spd it had to shift down one more gear (which takes a little more time) to get up and go
After having this one now for a while I do not miss the 3:92 as much (a distant fond memory) as I am getting better mpg
The next driveway up the road from my place is just over  1/4 mile and the 2014 is going faster than the 2011 did at that point on the road if you keep your foot in it :)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

ITSA426

I've got an '05 RumbleBee, before the MDS went into Rams.  Love the truck but I could only get 24 mpg if I pushed it downhill 12 miles.  Four wheel drive, 3.92 gears, 20" tires and a buttload of attitude.  I don't use it as an air hauler though.  If I'm driving it, it's being a truck.

ITSA426

I've got an '05 RumbleBee, before the MDS went into Rams.  Love the truck but I could only get 24 mpg if I pushed it downhill 12 miles.  Four wheel drive, 3.92 gears, 20" tires and a buttload of attitude.  I don't use it as an air hauler though.  If I'm driving it, it's being a truck.

69charger2002

Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 04, 2014, 11:38:13 PM
Until you do the math at the gas pump the console read outs don't mean a thing. None are accurate at all. I had a Chevy Impala Rental car for a month (worst month of my life) and I could get its console to show stupid MPG by moving the pedal around.

Todd

This is generally SOOO true. I have never had a ram trip computer be accurate, and i've had 15-20 rams over the years. They always err on the favorable side by 2-3.. Even my few cummins rams that i thought were getting 23-24 mpg would end up getting 20-21 actual once i filled it up the same way and divided the 600 miles by 30 gallons.. never gotten over 20 mpg out of a 1500 ram for a full tank. EVER. not saying you guys are lying by any means. But even my 2012 Hemi ram 2wd crew best i got was 18.5 and i was cruising 70 on flat roads in Louisiana/Mississippi the entire trip.
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: WINGR on April 04, 2014, 04:12:04 PM

Thanks,
WINGR/Steve

Mine has 3.55'\s

I get about 20 if I'm doing 75MPH or so - mostly because anything around 2K RPM and the ECO mode kicks off.  The 3.21 might be just tall enough where you could get around that.

Old Moparz

Quote from: ITSA426 on April 05, 2014, 05:11:48 PM

Same set up here, except mine has 17" wheels. The best MPG I ever recall getting was about 17 hwy on a trip to Carlisle at 70 to 75 MPH. Around town it's single digits. I bought it to tow so I never expected to get any better than this.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

green69rt

I don't have a Ram (Chevy) but trying to get high mileage out of these rolling shoe boxes is very dependent on speed.  Small 2005 Colorado with a I4 and I can get 27 as long as I keep the speed right at 62 with a very light touch on the gas.  My truck probably has a smaller frontal area than a Ram so that explains a lot.  Cruising at 75 puts me at 22 or even less, so speed and frontal area has a lot to do with things.  The new multi speed tranys probably help a lot but still a long way from my wife's Acura that gets 36-37 at 70.

That said, getting anything over 20 with the weight and big horsepower is remarkable.  Only big truck I had was a Ford and I suffered thru years of 14-17 MPG.

gschmidt211

I just sent you a PM.  DO you know what gear set is in your truck.  I ordered mine with the 3.55.

Quote from: 68X426 on April 04, 2014, 11:21:27 AM
My new 2014 Hemi Ram 4x4, with the 8 speed, is rated at 15 and 21.  The very first tank got 22 mpg, mostly highway.  We tentatively have a road trip soon to Utah.  If it happens I'll aim to match the 24 you got.

1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

gschmidt211

I had such high hopes for my truck, but I am just starting to see 17.5 with my 2014.  Up until now, I was seeing about 16.8 consistently.  I have 3400 miles on the truck and I am a lot disappointed with the mileage so far.  I bought it with the 3.6L 8 Speed 4X2.  The sticker states 17/24 with an average of 20. 

The hemi trucks were rated for 15/21 and I was debating the hemi truck.  I had a 2005 hemi and traded that in as the gas was getting to be a bit too much.  Now with the better advertised mileage, I figured it was time to give it another shot.  If the mileage doesn't seem to improve as the weather gets a bit better, I am not sure what I will do.  I may have to trade it in on a hemi.  If I am going to get the mileage anyways, I might as well have the engine to go with it. 

And if others are seeing improved mpg with the hemi, it was probably the way to go anyways.

We are going to Carlisle in July, however, I will be towing, so it will not be a good comparison for mileage, but I will see how she does.  If the first year bites for mileage, I will have to consider trading her in.

1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

WINGR

Thanks for the help everyone, still not sure which way to go yet but know that that it should be a 8-speed trans with the Hemi for sure.

WINGR/Steve